British Speedway Forum
The Voice Of Reason

Lakeside Speedway - Smoke & Mirrors?

The notice on the old fans forum site concludes by saying " we look forward to you joining us on Facebook and Twitter if you are not already there" so it hardly seems to be some kind of clandestine escape.

To be fair some of the vitriolic abuse hurled at Neil Vatcher for example in the months before he left by one or two posters really was beyond the pale, totally exceeding constructive criticism.

As has been said , there's nothing to stop fans starting there own forum . Let's hope the poster who went under the name of Joyful John will start his own forum and then he can sit at home making his stupid comments to his hearts content.

Disgraceful giving the likes of Neil, and similarly John Sampford at Rye House, such stick. These sort of guys have given great service to the sport, and continue to do so. Folks on forums criticising them, are probably not fit to lace their boots up and done fukc all to help the sport.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 5

With all due respect, I would not have deemed anything said previously on the Lakeside Forum about Neil as 'vitriolic'.

E I Adio clearly has his own interpretation of that particular word that I (and maybe others) would certainly not share.

Neil did come in for negative comments - most of it justified, for a number of poor decisions. Moreover, during his tenure at Lakeside's Team Manager, it's fair to say that he presided over the worst level of performance from the team than at any time during the Douglas/Cook era. His subsequent 'Sword of Damocles' no doubt being some of his comments via the programme notes.

At the end of the day, and having been a manager for the majority of my working life, you are judged upon levels of performance; and what your team deliver upon. And in today's world, like it or lump it, the manager ultimately has to take the final responsibility - particularly during ongoing periods of abject failure.

• Like 1

I stopped using the Lakeside forum a couple of seasons ago, at that point it was just the same few contributing to it plus those that had a one sided view which was always negative and never pointed out any of the positive stuff, I don't mind people having a moan, you pays your money etc but I think some were very lapsed supporters and no longer went or were fans of other teams just trying to act as antagonists.

Jon I don't think has ever been a fan of them because of this minority element, negativity breeds negativity, you only need to spend 5 minutes on here to see that.

• Like 3

I stopped using the Lakeside forum a couple of seasons ago, at that point it was just the same few contributing to it plus those that had a one sided view which was always negative and never pointed out any of the positive stuff, I don't mind people having a moan, you pays your money etc but I think some were very lapsed supporters and no longer went or were fans of other teams just trying to act as antagonists.

Jon I don't think has ever been a fan of them because of this minority element, negativity breeds negativity, you only need to spend 5 minutes on here to see that.

I have to agree the last year or two it did become a bit like that with a few people just posting negative stuff about riders and the promotion regardless of what happened.
  • Like 2

I have to agree the last year or two it did become a bit like that with a few people just posting negative stuff about riders and the promotion regardless of what happened.
  • Like 1

I prefer this forum to an individual club one simply because outside opinion can be added.

To many people are a bit cliquey on club forums, you dare go against the grain and you'll know about it.

• Like 3

With all due respect, I would not have deemed anything said previously on the Lakeside Forum about Neil as 'vitriolic'.

E I Adio clearly has his own interpretation of that particular word that I (and maybe others) would certainly not share.

Neil did come in for negative comments - most of it justified, for a number of poor decisions. Moreover, during his tenure at Lakeside's Team Manager, it's fair to say that he presided over the worst level of performance from the team than at any time during the Douglas/Cook era. His subsequent 'Sword of Damocles' no doubt being some of his comments via the programme notes.

At the end of the day, and having been a manager for the majority of my working life, you are judged upon levels of performance; and what your team deliver upon. And in today's world, like it or lump it, the manager ultimately has to take the final responsibility - particularly during ongoing periods of abject failure.

Neil made some tactical mistakes, as most TM's do, and is entitled to be criticised for them. However that was one of the things that got blown out of all proportion by the same few who chose not to understand how the fast track system works, chose not to understand how team building is constrained by the points limit, and just dumped all their comments at Neil's feet in a personal manner, even though some of them don't even attend the meetings.

Jon Cook has said several times in the programme that he takes responsibility for the teams failings, but do you know what ? Not one of these chronic complainers has had the balls to come to a fans forum and put any of this to Cook face to face.

I

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 4

That's why I very rarely post on here these days - sometimes negativity is completely justified but at times it can be a bit relentless on here!

I can understand why the promotion want to encourage use of Facebook and Twitter, especially given that it's arguably the best way of engaging younger fans, but I can't see any harm in the forum existing alongside for the fans who prefer that format for discussion.

If a new Lakeside fans forum is created, I'd be interested in signing up.

• Like 1

Jon Cook has said several times in the programme that he takes responsibility for the teams failings, but do you know what ? Not one of these chronic complainers has had the balls to come to a fans forum and put any of this to Cook face to face.

They might be called thick or biased...

• Like 1

The problem was, on the fans' forum, there really were relatively few negative comments, but others would then, reasonably enough, jump in to defend whoever was being criticised and then the topic would become much bigger than it needed to, out of proportion to the original post.

I will miss the forum, and am very disappointed with the decision. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter and don't intend to be.

I'll have to come on here more often, I guess.

I prefer this forum to an individual club one simply because outside opinion can be added.

To many people are a bit cliquey on club forums, you dare go against the grain and you'll know about it.

Similar on the Poole forum, apart from if you go against Starman you'll know about it! ;):D
  • Like 2

Similar on the Poole forum, apart from if you go against Starman you'll know about it! ;):D

Nothing to do with me, and you know it..

• Like 1

Cannot help but agree with "The Voice of Reason" on this sudden closure of a fans forum, which allegedly was never read by the promoters at Lakeside Speedway.

Agents provocateur however posted on there under cover of being just "fans " of speedway without allegiance to the promotion.

Maybe the webmaster had enough of the wrangling with the promoters irritation on comments that they didn't like... on a forum they allegedly didn't read ?

Still I wish the promotion well in what is probably their last at Purfleet ? I'll read all about it in the Speedway Star.

• Like 1

Welcome back old Bob you were a superb contributor to the Lakeside forum until those weasels closed it down. Jon Cooks PR with speedway fans is terrible with the heat leader list comment and now this.

Hopefully someone will start an unofficial Lakeside fans forum which JC wont be able to touch.

Hopefully someone will start an unofficial Lakeside fans forum which JC wont be able to touch.

"Someone" might start an unofficial forum. It would be a good thing if "someone" did.

But I suspect that "someone" will continue to sit on his backside complaining and hope that "someone else" will do the job. As he always does.