British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Coventry Es First Leg 16/03/16

I think a lot of the reason people think he has the edge over Garrity in the EL is that the only tracks they ever really go head to head on are Poole & Coventry. You would expect Newman to be better round his home track and he is, but he's also very good round Coventry and arguably has the edge there too.

Thats a good point. And that stats over the last two years would agree with you apart from at Leicester. Weirdly, the stats disprove what I thought that Kyle was the more consistent and Jason more erratic as Jasons best and worst tracks seem to be closer in terms of average than Kyles. Statistically speaking Jasons worst EL track was Wolves :o A track he's beaten Woffinden at in the last 12 months.

Where the stats do prove my point about consistency is Kyle tends to beat those you'd expect him to and lose to those you'd expect. By that I mean he doesn't tend to lose to lesser reserves or beat as many heat leaders. While Jason beat more heat leaders but is more likely to lose an easier race - in fact Jason is far, far more likely to beat a heat leader away from home.

I do struggle to understand why people think Garrity is better than Newman. Never seen anything to prove that is the case. Newman just seems a more complete rider. Better style, track craft and has had Garrity in his pocket for a while now. Guess we will see tomorrow night when they meet again. Just my opinion of course but I would have Newman in my 1-7 any day over Garrity.

Garrity was fourth in last years British Final and aGrand Prix reserve. The more you argue that Newmanis a higher calibre than that the more you reinforce and support the point that he is far too good to be an EDR reserve and should, like Garrity be in the 1-5.

• Like 1

Garrity was fourth in last years British Final and aGrand Prix reserve. The more you argue that Newmanis a higher calibre than that the more you reinforce and support the point that he is far too good to be an EDR reserve and should, like Garrity be in the 1-5.

Newman will be in the 1-5 soon enough.

Garrity has messed Coventry up by starting in the 1-5.

Edited by lisa-colette

For what its worth, I think Garrity was on the must sign riders list for most Sheffield fans this season. He was absolutely brilliant for us last season and helped save our season after Steady got hurt. As regards the Elite League, I guess Jason could have done the easy thing and stayed in the comfort zone as a fast track rider but the kid wants to move on in the sport and you cannot fault him for that.

• Like 1

I would have Kyle in my 1-5 over Garrity...

So you also agree that that he is a 1-5 rider and too good to be an EDR reserve.

And Kyle is hell bent on getting a top five place.

Unlike his promoter who is just plain bent.

For what its worth, I think Garrity was on the must sign riders list for most Sheffield fans this season. He was absolutely brilliant for us last season and helped save our season after Steady got hurt. As regards the Elite League, I guess Jason could have done the easy thing and stayed in the comfort zone as a fast track rider but the kid wants to move on in the sport and you cannot fault him for that.

Yes, you can fault him! He says he wants to win trophies with his teams but he has made Coventry weaker!

So you also agree that that he is a 1-5 rider and too good to be an EDR reserve.

Unlike his promoter who is just plain bent.

Kyle has shown a lot of improvement in the last couple of years, and he is ambitious enough to want to be in the team proper.

As for your second point, your walking on dodgy ground there pal. You have no proof of that. And that goes for anybody on this forum.

Coventry messed Coventry up with the picks, how did we get two riders below 10 on the list while some clubs have two in the top ten. Edited by woz01

Statistically speaking Jasons worst EL track was Wolves :o A track he's beaten Woffinden at in the last 12 months.

Really?

I'm shocked at that!

I'd have said it was his best track!

Really?

I'm shocked at that!

I'd have said it was his best track!

9+1 from 6 rides and 8 from 5 rides last year so not all conquering at Wolves as people seem to think.

Got home from work feeling upbeat about tonight, let me sleep on it and I'm sure that'll change!

Edited by woz01

What are you going to say when he moves into the team proper ??

I think he will then struggle like he sometimes does for Plymouth against stronger riders and will return to reserve.

I think he is a good rider but can never see him doing well in a British Final or becoming a heat leader in the EL. I think he is what he is now, a good reserve rider

Edited by mdmc82

Very true Lisa, and when Newman does move up into the top five, its likely Poole will then have Watt at reserve. Matt Ford is way too smart to have missed that reality... Horton on the other hand :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Newman will be in the top 5, but you will most likely have Brady Kurtz at reserve who is a fantastic rider and will score a bucketload from that position and soon move back up. Poole know how to build a team, you need to have 2 riders who can interchange at reserve /No.2 so you can always have a strong number 6, and the same again at 3&4 so you always have a high scoring number 4. Coventry just don't seem to get that despite having a good season last year on the back of having Garrity at 6 and either Joonas/King/Andersen at 4.

Coventry's top 3 looks good, but it all goes wrong after that with riders in the wrong positions. Bates is a decent number 7, but Sarj isn't good enough to be a first reserve or ride in the top 5. Garrity & Woryna are good riders but neither of them are yet at that point where they can score a load of points from number 4 and interchange with King as 3rd heat leader.

If Garrity was reserve instead of Sarj, then replace Garrity with a decent second string the whole team would have a lot more balance because we'd always have Garrity or Woryna at reserve. So yeah I would have to agree that Garrity starting in the top 5 has unbalanced the team and given it a very long tail.

• Like 1

9+1 from 6 rides and 8 from 5 rides last year so not all conquering at Wolves as people seem to think.

Got home from work feeling upbeat about tonight, let me sleep on it and I'm sure that'll change!

That's quite a few more than he got at Poole wednesday!

Everyone used to moan about foreign riders at reserve before the draft so how is it going to be right when it happens now?.

• Like 1