British Speedway Forum

Still say that if there had been a couple of hundred grand of prize money up for grabs, and it was on TV, a 'solution' would have been found....

Maybe not racing as we know it 'full on' but still something that would have delivered the occasion the sport needed....

Still.....

Onwards and downwards to the next GB Speedway fiasco......

(I am sure we won't be waiting long).....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Off topic a bit but I believe belle vue will eventually recover from this mainly because looking at the age of the crowd the majority being over the mid 30 range we will keep going back.there were a few kids but hardly any 16-35 years olds who would say sod this I've got better things to do.there tho lies another problem for the sport

• Like 1

Shame as well for the late great Peter and his family, my hero when I started watching speedway as a New Cross nipper in 1963. Remember having his rosette on my bedroom wall, and the shock when the old man came in and woke me up to say he had been killed.

Hopefully the track problems can soon be sorted soon, such an embarrassment for this once great club and sport. Sympathy for the fans who travelled a long way and wasted money. With ever diminishing crowds speedway needs the stadium to be a success for the future of league racing in Britain.

Edited by Downsman
  • Like 1

Just had a text from a mate at Rye House. Meeting delayed by 30 minutes due to starting gate malfunction, programme is in EL format and the riders are complaining about the track.

A few teething troubles at Rye, but we got to see a meeting. The track was slick, as it usually is, especially this early in the season.

It was obviously a complete fiasco and the meeting should never have been opened to the public if the track wasnt ready.

British speedway shoots itself in the foot yet again.

Think its quite sad and pathetic that some certain fans of a certain club feel compelled , and actually almost enjoy that this has happened, launching a tirade against the Belle Vue promotion, as if it somehow deflects people commenting about the piss poor prep of their own track, its almost like a point scoring exercise.

What happened yesterday was embarrassing for their sport, but whats worse is some fans actually gloating over it all

when did the promotion know the track would be unraceable,on the night,last week?surely far better to postpone it if they knew in advance it was dodgy,than carry on and hope it would all work out right on the night!it would save this fiasco.

• Like 1

does anyone know when the actual saftey certificate was issued ?

i was led to belive that last week it still wasnt in place

Well I didn't accuse you or your 'friends' of lying but it is hard to reach any other conclusion.

You come on here and state that 'for the management to blame the riders is out of order' when they didn't and now you are claiming it was said within earshot of your 'friends' but not 'on the centre green' and I was 'clearly not in there', clearly not in where? What sort of made up fantasy is that?!! That makes you sound a little bit mental doesn't it? Furthermore had what you claim actually been said the 'quotes' would be all over social media and there would be outrage.

But there aren't any 'quotes' because you have made it all up.

You even macabrely brought up Ward being injured to somehow justify your point of view.

#barmpotfantasist

Sorry bring up Darcy after what happened to him is not Macabre................as you put it...........and I should not have to quote anyone................rider safety is paramount........end of and if the riders felt it was not safe then sorry it should not have gone ahead.............and been postponed as soon as a problem was known.............two failed track safety inspections should have told you that (several riders have tweeted about that)

Go read Twitter and Facebook for quotes............I am no liar or fantasist...................shame you cannot treat a fan who really wanted to go to the meeting but could not for various reasons (mainly the fact I had to work not that that is your business and it was a 600 ish mile round trip) with respect..............I have several Belle Vue fans as friends..............at least they are giving constructive and honest criticism of what happened rather than you quoting only what 3 people have said..............

RP

Harris said the track was rideable or did you miss that bit?

I read the statement again and there is not anythink about Chris Harris or the track being rideable as you said ....so I did miss that bit because it is not on there ...so rather telling other people that they can't read and they make things up maybe should do same yourself .

• Like 1

This is an observation not an opinion, but very few serious accidents have happened because of a "dangerous track".

Injuries to Ward, Gundersen and many others were nothing to do with the condition of the track.

Video of the 1975 World Final at Wembley reveals a track to be so bad as to be almost unbelievable, but the show went on.

• Like 1

My most used comment of 2016 will be, so they'll ride on that but couldn't ride the Belle Vue track back in March?

Rider safety is paramount - when it suits. We've had pages and pages on here over the years about meetings being forced through on tracks far worse than last night just to get a result. All I want is consistency so we now where we stand.

I spoke to management last night and told them they were not at fault. In hindsight they were as they booked these prima donnas who let's not forget have form for this kind of thing.

Have I ever ridden a speedway bike, no but I'm no chef either but I'd be quick to complain if the performance of the chef was not up to scratch. Ex riders I spoke to last night plus those on social media are of the opinion it should have gone ahead. Just as they all questioned the rides following the Warsaw walk out.

If I was in the rider meeting last night I have just said right you lot who don't want to ride pack up and go. We'll promote the reserves and run some part filled heats.

I'm probably biased in my opinions as I've been a supporter for forty odd years and I'm use to the gladiators of old and find these highly paid pussies hard to watch a lot if the time. I guess it's modern day speedway but at least I've got The Colts to watch again. Should have had them on standby last night once the "stars" started bleating on social media.

Are you for real? Nicki Pedersen for one bent over backwards getting there last night, why do that and then not bother?

There is one party to blame and that's the buffoons who organised last night. All that show and they couldn't get a raceable circuit. Poor, poor show.

Lets face it, poor meetings on poor tracks are hardly unheard of. Not the norm, maybe, but common enough. Read the barrage of criticism that Ipswich got on Thursday, or the updates from Leicester (4 passes in 15 heats) yesterday afternoon. Those meetings were on 'proper' tracks and at Leicester the shape has apparently been adapted during the winter to improve the quality of the racing.

Would such a meeting from Belle Vue have been so much worse ?

Of course it could have got worst as riders could have hurt ....they may also have had a certain amount of heats before it was got called off meaning no one got a refund ..what is unheard is people saying days before that a track was unfit for purpose like last night .

The bottom line is should never have got to where it was last night so Belle Vue speedway take 100 % of the blame

Could they have not moved the meeting to Kirky Lane?

The true home of the Aces.

Incorrect.............Hyde Road was the true home of the Aces...................great times there.............

RP

• Like 2

This is an observation not an opinion, but very few serious accidents have happened because of a "dangerous track".

Injuries to Ward, Gundersen and many others were nothing to do with the condition of the track.

Video of the 1975 World Final at Wembley reveals a track to be so bad as to be almost unbelievable, but the show went on.

I remember that ..I expect people drove home after drinking 10 pints of lager as well .

• Like 1