British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Resrves Are Too Important

I honestly don't think anyone expected an FTR to move to a HL role in one move. I think it shows how poor the Swindon team have performed that Wright will now be a second heat leader. Of course it is stupid and it certainly won't help with his development - especially when the guy who replaced him at reserve gets one of his rides.

It shows how shockingly Ill-conceived the whole FTR process is and a total lack of foresight!

Lack of foresight from the powers that be?.

They are not even clever enough to have that.

I honestly don't think anyone expected an FTR to move to a HL role in one move. I think it shows how poor the Swindon team have performed that Wright will now be a second heat leader. Of course it is stupid and it certainly won't help with his development - especially when the guy who replaced him at reserve gets one of his rides.

Anyone with half a brain could have forseen it. Look at the top 20 of the El averages at the start of last season. It was always likely that some would jump straight to hl. Just as it would be highly unlikely that they would go to 2nd string and then to hl.

No way should this heat format -introduced to protect Draft riders remember - have been retained once Draft riders were no longer protected from moving to the top 5.

It's the latest in a string of staggeringly inept decisions.

Edit: sorry realised I have essentially just echoed the ff/doc post above

I thought this scheme is about allowing the better reserves the chance to test themselves against better riders?! As soon as it happens everyone is up in arms that its wrong. If the EDR can't hack it then it could only be for 2 weeks until the averages are adjusted again.

I thought this scheme is about allowing the better reserves the chance to test themselves against better riders?! As soon as it happens everyone is up in arms that its wrong. If the EDR can't hack it then it could only be for 2 weeks until the averages are adjusted again.

The sensible way to achieve that is by changing the heat format so that ftr's gain a realistic average. They then move up on merit not on the basis of a totally false average.

• Like 2

Sorry you haven`t quite got it right ;) It all about money- the EDR who goes into the 1-5 is still on EDR wages and the new reserve also goes on EDR money ;)

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

Nobody has a problem with that at all.

The problem is the format & the fact that the likes of Klindt will be in reserve, taking possibly 7 riders and likely taking a ride away from the promoted reserve and have 2 reserve heats. That's the problem

As many contributors have said (perhaps you should try reading them), it's the not the moving up, into the team that's the problem, it's the retention of the protected heats meeting format that's the problem since it will give the FTRs false averages and then trap some of them (for only a while thankfully) in a heat-leader role where the easiest rides they will get will be against second strings, several of whom will be heat leaders on equally false averages, and face often two opposing heat leaders in a race.

The whole point of the protected heats format was to protect - to prevent FTRs from facing heat leaders.

You cannot have vital team positions determined by totally false averages. The protected heat formula should have been dropped the moment it was decided to let FTRs rise out of the reserve berths.

It is emphatically NOT about riders being given the chance to progress - it's about doing it in a sane and fair way, not that sane and fair exist in your part of the world.

Will the belle vue reserves ever be able to move up. Just can't see them getting their two home matches in😀

Edited by brewer
  • Like 1

Strange that its only a few 'fans' that are complaining!! The riders themselves now seem perfectly ok with it.

its all bit of a mess,and will create more problems for next season,but at the end of the day thems the rules for this season so promoters and team managers have got to get on with it,and somebody will be top and somebody will finish bottom.

its all bit of a mess,and will create more problems for next season,but at the end of the day thems the rules for this season so promoters and team managers have got to get on with it,and somebody will be top and somebody will finish bottom.

They could change it if they wanted to...

F1 introduced a new qualifying process at the GP's, it didn't work so they changed it back sharpish!. Where there's a Will, there's a way!!

Strange that its only a few 'fans' that are complaining!! The riders themselves now seem perfectly ok with it.

Odd how so few are actually defending it. Oh, and after 45 years of involvement in the sport as a supporter, official and broadcaster I don't need to justify the label 'fan'.

It is an indefensible situation. I can only guess that your lack of concern must be due to it favouring Poole in some way.

If there is a lack of concern in the 'official;' world that you obviously believe to inhabit then that is no surprise. If they're stupid enough to let the situation happen they're hardly likely to be able to see the result!

Time will tell, especially after we see FTRs hopelessly out of their depth in all heat-leader races. Oh, I forget, Poole rigged the FTR system so they got two riders who will be able to cope with this ridiculous situation.

Complacency rules on the south coast, but then you're alright, sod the rest of the sport eh? You'll be running out of opponents soon enough given the state of the EL.

EDRs still have to win the races - against other EDRs and 2nd strings - to get their increased averages. They will only go up if someone in the 1-5 is underperforming, protected heats or not, and gets a lower average.

You can put that down to so-called 'rigging' or simply selecting a 1-7 that at the moment is more than holding its own against the others - despite losing its only away meeting to date..

Whatever the pros and cons - its the same for everyone and is certainly more likely to favour Leicester and Swindon in the short term.

As you are so anti- the EL, but still consider yourself a 'fan', I'm surprised you continue to be so interested in what the EL does?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

EDRs still have to win the races - against other EDRs and 2nd strings - to get their increased averages. They will only go up if someone in the 1-5 is underperforming, protected heats or not, and gets a lower average.

You can put that down to so-called 'rigging' or simply selecting a 1-7 that at the moment is more than holding its own against the others - despite losing its only away meeting to date..

Whatever the pros and cons - its the same for everyone and is certainly more likely to favour Leicester and Swindon in the short term.

As you are so anti- the EL, but still consider yourself a 'fan', I'm surprised you continue to be so interested in what the EL does?

How on earth does it favour Swindon?.

The way I see it we've lost one of the only 2 riders who are real racers & one who was capable of having 7 rides to give us half a chance of not getting hammered.

We've in turn now got a journeyman Premier League foreigner who can only ride on slick tracks.

The reserves should only have been able to move up to 2nd string regardless of their FALSE average they've attained.

Good luck to Charles & any other rider who moves up & probably loses one of his rides to the foreigner who has now dropped to reserve.

To think that they think fans think they thought this through is a joke.

How on earth does it favour Swindon?.

The way I see it we've lost one of the only 2 riders who are real racers & one who was capable of having 7 rides to give us half a chance of not getting hammered.

We've in turn now got a journeyman Premier League foreigner who can only ride on slick tracks.

The reserves should only have been able to move up to 2nd string regardless of their FALSE average they've attained.

Good luck to Charles & any other rider who moves up & probably loses one of his rides to the foreigner who has now dropped to reserve.

To think that they think fans think they thought this through is a joke.

Too much thinking there :wink:

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1