British Speedway Forum
damosuzuki

Matt Ford - No Sympathy

Pretty arrogant and disgraceful attitude that came over in the interview. There are undoubtedly better promoters than others, but some also have geographical and economic disadvantages.

All promoters are ultimately reliant on each other to make for a viable competition. Even more so when speedway is at death's door, particularly the Elite League.

If Ford hadn't worked this out after years of promoting, then you really have to despair for the future of the sport.

• Like 3

Not necessarily.

Just saying that as people are saying rules have been brought in to benefit Poole it would be nice to be provided with details of the actual rules and how they benefited Poole.

Then the claims would have some foundation.

There ain't none. It lack of ambition lack of get up and go lack of interest from other promotions, thats what it boils down to. And lack of interest in looking for riders. I'l bet now, Matt will have half his 2017 team already sorted.

I remember when Reading had a very sharp team manager who knew the rule book inside out and was able to use it to Reading's advantage - often upsetting opposing teams in the process.

That doesn't mean, though, that the rule book was put together for the benefit of Reading and I suspect it is the same nowadays with Poole.

• Like 4

And as Matt rightly said, some of you have made rods for your own backs. You have nobody else to blame but yourselves.

Maybe you are not aware but i resigned from promoting 3 seasons ago. At that time kings lynn had finished in the play offs in it's first two seasons of elite league racing, and prior to that we had won 9 Major Premier League competitions in the previous 5 year's.

Therefore, may i ask what i have my self to blame for and what rod i have made for my own back?

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 9

I don't have the in-depth knowledge of Poole's supposed past misdemeanors but what I don't understand is why the other promotions would allow them to get away with it?

Did the Coventry - Peterborough walkout have any connection with Poole's dominance?

It's also got to be true to say that if most clubs had a Ford then the EL would be much better.

Coventry winning the EL play-offs at Poole in 2010 is probably a good place to start. That night Poole turned the hot water off in the showers, refused to give Coventry any champagne and didn't use the fireworks. So obviously Matt was a little upset.But I doubt it was just about losing that night. It goes back a little more than that though. Coventry had sparingly used Shamek Pawlicki that season, he signed in April but only rode 11 meetings in a season 12 were needed to get an average. Yes some were because he was in U21s and GP qualis but some where very dodgy absences, certainly in August and September as it meant he'd stay in reserve. That upset a few, including Poole but also Swindon as that was one of the tracks Coventry went to without him.
The thing is, that season you could use your number 8 (Aaron Summers in Coventrys case) for any rider at any time so Coventry broke no rules. It was just tactics. As a result the BSPa changed the rules so Pawlicki got an average that winter, the rule for averages changed from 12 to 8 but was also retrospective. Every other time the rules on averages change at an AGM it's never been retrospective before (or since - eg rolling averages changed form 28 to 20 meetings but not until the first set of averages). So that upset Coventry.
Coventry had also signed Kenni Larsen. The conversion had always been 0.5 but they changed it to 0.6 sighting the case of Holder, Ward and Woffy who 0.6 would have been closer to reality. Which two clubs campaigned most for it? Wolves and Poole! Again, it upset Coventry and at that point dragged Peterborough into it as Sundstroms average went up too.
Coventry/Poole bad feeling had been brewing for a while. It was Coventry who accused Poole of cheating in 2009 to get averages down and make changes. Everyone knows they did it, it couldn't be proven. Also throughout 2010 Allen Trump (then Cov promoter) had made many claims against Poole and slagged them off in the press. I said at the time it was a silly thing to do but antagonise Ford and he gets his mates to screw you over.
Coventry eventually backed down over walking out when the BSPA agreed that they wouldn't retro-change Pawlickis average but make him a 5 (rather than his original 4 or his attained 6.5).
Then in August that year Darcy Ward (Poole) and<cannot be named fore legal reasons> were arrested. At the same time Coventry re-declared their team in two stages. Ford on the BSPA MC accepted the first part (Kildemand and McGowan dropped for little Pawlicki) but didnt allow the second bit of Kildemand in for Josh Auty. That meant Coventry had Auty and Morris (who was unavailable for reasons Matt Ford knew all about) sharing a place. Ford knew Morris was not available so he couldn't possibly ride and that Auty knowing he'd been dropped would tell them to get stuffed (plus stood litle chance of getting there when Coventry only found out at 5.30) meaning Coventry had to go into a meeting with 6 riders. At the same time, Ford text Kildemand and told him Coventry had dropped him (technically true, but only for a few seconds) and asking if he wanted to sign for Poole so Kildemand agreed to sign for Poole thinking he'd been dropped. Ford rather than re-declaring the second Coventry re-declarion redeclared the Poole team with Kildemand in.
I've probably missed something out, it was 5 years ago now.

People say that the rules are there to benefit Poole.

Interested to know which rules are voted in that benefit Poole and how Poole benefit from them.

Perhaps someone could list these.

Draft riders on PL averages, biggest winner? Poole. The heat leader list that used "feeling" for anyone who rode last year but an exact figure form anyone the year before, magically Krys Buckowski on 6.48 is a second string, Danny King on 6.48 is a heat leader. A few other sub 6.5 riders are heat leaders too. Biggest winner? Poole and one of the Poole/Frost assets. Poole fans will claim he was available to anyone, but was he? Pooles main sponsor own him.

What about the year of the two riders over 8? Or the one rider over 8? Or the season that Poole didn't have a ringer moving up from the PL so they changed the PL to EL conversion sighting WARD, HOLDER and Woffinden as reasons why. Two riders that Poole had gained from! Not so much "pro-Poole" but in the winter of 2010 why were the rules change retrospectively that anyone who had raced 8 meetings got an average? Thats never happened before, before once you had an average you kept it. It's not been done that way since. Coventyr had Pawlicki on a 4 but he had only raced 11 meetings so he should stay on 4 but they wanted him to be 6.1 based on his 11 meetings as the new rules said 8 meetings for an average. That would be fine but when rolling averages changed from 28 to 20 meetings they didn't change all riders averages in the winter, they changed them on the first set of GSAs, who gained from that? Poole because Dak North was signed on 6.3 but his 20 meeting average was about 7.8

How about Coventry asking what average Dennis Andersson would come in on and being told 5 only for Poole to sign him a few months later on 4?! TBH 5 was right, as was proven by his 5.5 average.

Too many things go Pooles way. And I don't know if thats because Matt Ford has incriminating evidence of wrong doing by others or if the other are all just too thick to realise they're being conned by him.

Edited by SCB

Maybe you are not aware but i resigned from promoting 3 seasons ago. At that time kings lynn had finished in the play offs in it's first two seasons of elite league racing, and prior to that we had won 9 Major Premier League competitions in the previous 5 year's.

Therefore, may i ask what i have my self to blame for and what rod i have made for my own back?

There's only one rod that Starmans interested in.

• Like 2

I remember when Reading had a very sharp team manager who knew the rule book inside out and was able to use it to Reading's advantage - often upsetting opposing teams in the process.

That doesn't mean, though, that the rule book was put together for the benefit of Reading and I suspect it is the same nowadays with Poole.

Matt Ford is not a team manager and the rules that have helped him and Poole are mainly decided before the start of season ...so your point about Sugar and Reading has zero bearing .

You go back down the years to find out that nearly every rule brought in somehow helps poole ( I see scb has put up more some examples ) he must be laughing his socks off after this time that there are still some people who don't think it's happened .

Regarding Buszkowski. Did Poole sign him before or after the heatleader list was drawn up?

I don't believe the rules are set up to benefit Poole. Looking at SCB's post, however, I would guess that Matt Ford comes up with sugestions, knowing that they can benefit his own club, and the others go 'duh, ok' without realising it.

I asked regarding the reserve picks at King's Lynn the other week.

2016 had no draft picks.

There was a reserve list divided into 2 tiers by Premier League averages

Clubs & rider's could choose where they wanted to be

Regarding Buszkowski. Did Poole sign him before or after the heatleader list was drawn up?

I expect before then after :P

Agree with Ford 100%, its up to the rest to catch up with Poole, it shouldn't be for Poole to come back to the pack.

• Like 1

He told me once that one of the highlights of his career was "guest" team managing Wolverhampton to a famous victory at Swindon when the Wolves ended with 4 riders and still won.

Coventry winning the EL play-offs at Poole in 2010 is probably a good place to start. That night Poole turned the hot water off in the showers, refused to give Coventry any champagne and didn't use the fireworks. So obviously Matt was a little upset.But I doubt it was just about losing that night. It goes back a little more than that though. Coventry had sparingly used Shamek Pawlicki that season, he signed in April but only rode 11 meetings in a season 12 were needed to get an average. Yes some were because he was in U21s and GP qualis but some where very dodgy absences, certainly in August and September as it meant he'd stay in reserve. That upset a few, including Poole but also Swindon as that was one of the tracks Coventry went to without him.
The thing is, that season you could use your number 8 (Aaron Summers in Coventrys case) for any rider at any time so Coventry broke no rules. It was just tactics. As a result the BSPa changed the rules so Pawlicki got an average that winter, the rule for averages changed from 12 to 8 but was also retrospective. Every other time the rules on averages change at an AGM it's never been retrospective before (or since - eg rolling averages changed form 28 to 20 meetings but not until the first set of averages). So that upset Coventry.
Coventry had also signed Kenni Larsen. The conversion had always been 0.5 but they changed it to 0.6 sighting the case of Holder, Ward and Woffy who 0.6 would have been closer to reality. Which two clubs campaigned most for it? Wolves and Poole! Again, it upset Coventry and at that point dragged Peterborough into it as Sundstroms average went up too.
Coventry/Poole bad feeling had been brewing for a while. It was Coventry who accused Poole of cheating in 2009 to get averages down and make changes. Everyone knows they did it, it couldn't be proven. Also throughout 2010 Allen Trump (then Cov promoter) had made many claims against Poole and slagged them off in the press. I said at the time it was a silly thing to do but antagonise Ford and he gets his mates to screw you over.
Coventry eventually backed down over walking out when the BSPA agreed that they wouldn't retro-change Pawlickis average but make him a 5 (rather than his original 4 or his attained 6.5).
Then in August that year Darcy Ward (Poole) and<cannot be named fore legal reasons> were arrested. At the same time Coventry re-declared their team in two stages. Ford on the BSPA MC accepted the first part (Kildemand and McGowan dropped for little Pawlicki) but didnt allow the second bit of Kildemand in for Josh Auty. That meant Coventry had Auty and Morris (who was unavailable for reasons Matt Ford knew all about) sharing a place. Ford knew Morris was not available so he couldn't possibly ride and that Auty knowing he'd been dropped would tell them to get stuffed (plus stood litle chance of getting there when Coventry only found out at 5.30) meaning Coventry had to go into a meeting with 6 riders. At the same time, Ford text Kildemand and told him Coventry had dropped him (technically true, but only for a few seconds) and asking if he wanted to sign for Poole so Kildemand agreed to sign for Poole thinking he'd been dropped. Ford rather than re-declaring the second Coventry re-declarion redeclared the Poole team with Kildemand in.
I've probably missed something out, it was 5 years ago now.

Draft riders on PL averages, biggest winner? Poole. The heat leader list that used "feeling" for anyone who rode last year but an exact figure form anyone the year before, magically Krys Buckowski on 6.48 is a second string, Danny King on 6.48 is a heat leader. A few other sub 6.5 riders are heat leaders too. Biggest winner? Poole and one of the Poole/Frost assets. Poole fans will claim he was available to anyone, but was he? Pooles main sponsor own him.

What about the year of the two riders over 8? Or the one rider over 8? Or the season that Poole didn't have a ringer moving up from the PL so they changed the PL to EL conversion sighting WARD, HOLDER and Woffinden as reasons why. Two riders that Poole had gained from! Not so much "pro-Poole" but in the winter of 2010 why were the rules change retrospectively that anyone who had raced 8 meetings got an average? Thats never happened before, before once you had an average you kept it. It's not been done that way since. Coventyr had Pawlicki on a 4 but he had only raced 11 meetings so he should stay on 4 but they wanted him to be 6.1 based on his 11 meetings as the new rules said 8 meetings for an average. That would be fine but when rolling averages changed from 28 to 20 meetings they didn't change all riders averages in the winter, they changed them on the first set of GSAs, who gained from that? Poole because Dak North was signed on 6.3 but his 20 meeting average was about 7.8

How about Coventry asking what average Dennis Andersson would come in on and being told 5 only for Poole to sign him a few months later on 4?! TBH 5 was right, as was proven by his 5.5 average.

Too many things go Pooles way. And I don't know if thats because Matt Ford has incriminating evidence of wrong doing by others or if the other are all just too thick to realise they're being conned by him.

yes its scandalous that this happened.......

there was a systematic effort to ruin coventrys team for the incoming season.....

why change the rules retrospectively? why were coventry told by the scb dennis anderson is 5 when poole got him on 4 that reeks of corruption

Pretty arrogant and disgraceful attitude that came over in the interview. There are undoubtedly better promoters than others, but some also have geographical and economic disadvantages.

All promoters are ultimately reliant on each other to make for a viable competition. Even more so when speedway is at death's door, particularly the Elite League.

If Ford hadn't worked this out after years of promoting, then you really have to despair for the future of the sport.

you sum it up perfectly

total disregard for the sport as a whole. Poole has a harbour and bugger all else so it would be easier to promote the sport there then say Wolves , Leicester and Belle Vue.

Poole fans generally brush over every controversy in the sport that affects their club (pretty much all of them) yet have the audacity regarding what Belle Vue did with the leak. Belle Vue were wrong and got punished and their own fans thought it was shocking and condemned their club. Thats the big difference as Poole fans mainly see no wrong

There ain't none. It lack of ambition lack of get up and go lack of interest from other promotions, thats what it boils down to. And lack of interest in looking for riders. I'l bet now, Matt will have half his 2017 team already sorted.

shut up

spot on again.

come on starman answer the man

You will have no chance of getting a valued reply from the "clown of the forum" Jonathan as that's what usually happens☺☺

• Like 1