British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
allthegearbutnaeidea

Berwick V Scunthorpe Sat 30th

Wethers is struggling badly, in his interview on youtube channel he pointed out that he didn't enjoy last night due to the pain he had and he turned down ht15, we can't keep holiding on for Mellgren to get his knee sorted. He declared that he was going to need a month out and came back 9 days later, obviously not ready, hasn't had a good ride yet and hasn't won a heat all season so far

Alternatives to Mellgren aren't exactly throwing themselves at Berwick, but that doesn't mean there`s someone out there who wouldn't be a better option than Mellgren, especially in his current form, injury accepted.

Well Taffy I made my return to Shielfield last night, taking your advice to give it another chance,

WHERE THE SHI*TE WERE YOU?.

I enjoyed the meeting, although I think the track was as bad as it has been in the past, obviously some people never learn, could be so much better with a better track curator. I must say, it was a healthier crowd than in previous seasons, but very hard to work out for viability as 'kids go free', my guess about 600 paying adults and 200 kids for free. I wonder if that is really a sustainable crowd, would have thought 750 plus kids is a break even crowd.

A good nights entertainment though

Edited by UP URANUS

Well Taffy I made my return to Shielfield last night, taking your advice to give it another chance,

I enjoyed the meeting, although I think the track was as bad as it has been in the past, obviously some people never learn, could be so much better with a better track curator. I must say, it was a healthier crowd than in previous seasons, but very hard to work out for viability as 'kids go free', my guess about 600 paying adults and 200 kids for free. I wonder if that is really a sustainable crowd, would have thought 750 plus kids is a break even crowd.

Can't agree with this. Given the amount of rain / sleet / snow we had from Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning, the track staff did a hell of a job to get it to the state it was last night. It was a bit slicker than it has been of late, but totally understandable. I've noticed this season that there has been new lines created on the second and fourth bends which have created a lot more passing.

• Like 3

Cant see how asking parents to pay at the turnstiles for their kids is going to bring folks along . The kids maybe get in free , but when they're through the gate they spend cash , programmes , juice , sweets some thing from the track shop it all adds up .

• Like 3

Cant see how asking parents to pay at the turnstiles for their kids is going to bring folks along . The kids maybe get in free , but when they're through the gate they spend cash , programmes , juice , sweets some thing from the track shop it all adds up .

It was mentioned last night in the programme that takings at the track shop were at an all time high. Any connection to the fact that there are a lot of kids going who get in for free? Personally I think it is a great initiative to let kids in for free. You only need to see them interact with the riders in the grandstand after the meeting.

• Like 3

It was mentioned last night in the programme that takings at the track shop were at an all time high. Any connection to the fact that there are a lot of kids going who get in for free? Personally I think it is a great initiative to let kids in for free. You only need to see them interact with the riders in the grandstand after the meeting.

I would second that....my nephew loves going to the speedway and is completely hooked on it. He certainly knows who his favourites are anyway. Shouting at the top of his voice making sure his cheers are heard. It's a great idea for the kids go free. He even got a birthday shout out last night!
  • Like 1

Good, now to figure out how to keep them coming once they reach a certain age, before they go away only to come back as "old fogeys".

• Like 2

Sadly, not a good meeting - I counted one pass outside the second bend all night :( . That wasn't helped by the one sided score line.

Berwick will take some beating at home this season and will have a lot tougher tasks than Scunthorpe. They tried hard but - Wilkinson aside - they just couldn't cut it.

I, too, thought that was a pretty decent gate for Berwick.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Allowing kids in for free is a great idea. There must be families who wouldn't go to speedway due to the expense, but would go if they could save a tenner. Definitely helps if the riders interact with the kids.

• Like 1

Accompanied kids for free is excellent, and shows vision rather than short-sighted "trying to make a buck wherever possible".

It makes the night more affordable for families, and it brings along the future generation of fans.

Absolutely nuts to suggest that this should change.

SICKY BAD my friend, glad to hear you made it, and even more pleased you seemed to enjoy it. Look forward to a pint or 2 next time you are up, which I hope is soon.. Track is slowly improving, you did not pick the best night with the bad weather Berwick had just had. Scott Courtney will prevail along with his riders in getting the track they want, and the old dinosaurs will have to back down and provide it, so keep at them Scott.

Did not read anywhere in that statement that did say kids should pay. I think the question was how many of what looks like a healthy crowd were children, and if say a 1/4 of the crowd were kids was the rest a healthy enough crowd. I believe myself that a break even crowd of paying adults of between 750/850 is a fare figure, if that happens and you have say 400 kids going free it does not matter, the important thing is you get 750 + paying adults.

Cannot disagree with that, it is still important to get the paying adult to a sustainable level though, or it's back to square one, and the kids get nowhere to go free too.

Good, now to figure out how to keep them coming once they reach a certain age, before they go away only to come back as "old fogeys".

YEP

Don't know about cost or viability, but speedway clubs in this Country don't seem to offer an on line shop. As with most tracks Berwick`s customers looking for merchandise can only do so once they are in the stadium and on a Saturday night, if there was an on line shop it then your customers would be far larger.

Don't know about cost or viability, but speedway clubs in this Country don't seem to offer an on line shop. As with most tracks Berwick`s customers looking for merchandise can only do so once they are in the stadium and on a Saturday night, if there was an on line shop it then your customers would be far larger.

If you want an online shop try the Edinburgh threads last 20 pages ;););):lol::lol::lol:

• Like 3

Question for the wider world - not specifically Screm: Would you use an online shop to buy Bandits Merchandise? Along the lines of a Click and Collect Service?

Question for the wider world - not specifically Screm: Would you use an online shop to buy Bandits Merchandise? Along the lines of a Click and Collect Service?

I wouldn't ,don't think the service would be viable.IMO