British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue V Swindon 11 May, 2016.

Negatives out of the way first. Getting in was a total shambles, queued up for 40 mins expected to see the place heaving when I got inside and was amazed how few there were in (for the crowd at the ticket office), the staff in the ticket office did look very stressed! Then had to walk all the way round the outside of the stadium to gain entry to the south stand, I don't know why you can't just get in at the main gate and walk around, I hope this changes. The track reminded me of the Carduff track and produced about the same quality of racing, hopefully this will get better when the track matures.

And now for the positives.... wow! what a place! viewing was awesome and the place has atmosphere, compared to the old place that was sometimes like attending a funeral. The teething problems will get sorted out.

I just hope there is a league in future years for the club to run in

There's a lot who are .....

That's where you miss understand, the modern day fans are less committed i.e. winning is important.

You, me & many others who've been around a while like to see good racing. For the newer fans to keep them interested teams have to be winning. That's modern life I'm afraid

• Like 1

Plainly, there are teething problems with the ticket office. On the website they have been promoting the facility to order and print your tickets at home, so perhaps they were expecting more people to used that . Whatever they thought they now know it didn't work and will be looking at other options like not allowing people to choose specific seats on the night. Having said that, I have been to countless meetings over the years where the start time has been delayed because of queues at the turnstiles, so not something unusual. The riders were out on parade before 7.45, not a massive delay but hopefully, something that can now be avoided with the experience gained last night.

You shouldn't have been misinformed about access to the first bend terrace and not being able to move from one stand to another although that is a health and safety issue, not anything they can do anything about at the moment. Staff have been trained but no doubt will become more familiar with the various restrictions on movement as problems are highlighted.

I agree that the racing was not as good as I hoped either but there was passing and some close tussles. The excellent viewing and sheer speed all add to the excitement. How much Colin Meredith's absence affected things is difficult to say. The size and shape are good and I don't think any proper judgement can be made until the track has settled properly and Colin has had a chance to build up the dirt. As Jon Armstrong proved,it is already possible to prepare the track so that an outside line develops so I am sure we shall see that again soon.

Like with all Centre Green presenters I think it is a matter of opinion. I usually find them irritating or I can't hear them, so tend to just shut them out. I do realise though that it is part of the entertainment for some. It was good to hear Ken Wrench announce the first heat, a real gentleman and a true professional. However, I think we need to give his replacement time before making judgements. He made a few mistakes but most of us have when doing something new.

Finally, I thought the presentation was OK, pure speedway as it was at Hyde Road in the 70's. Riders coming out on their bikes for the presentation lap, not wearing helmets, no starting line girls, just get on with the racing and the EL meeting all done within 2 hours from first to last race. We even had a burst of the Hyde Road meeting start music, was it Entrance of the Gladiators. All we need now is Tokyo Melody. :lol:

Fine response :approve:

Phil has said Tony Swales was doing the track and that speaks volumes. Wasn't he the bloke that got the sack the other year after completely sodding up the preparation for a meeting ?

To be honest, it should be a case of purchasing a grandstand ticket and sitting where you like, thus doing away with the haggling at the ticket office. If season ticket holders have reserved seats, they can be marked.

The thing is the track is such a superb shape - I can pay it no better compliment than to say that it reminds me of Hyde Road - so preparing it badly is unforgivable.

That's where you miss understand, the modern day fans are less committed i.e. winning is important.

You, me & many others who've been around a while like to see good racing. For the newer fans to keep them interested teams have to be winning. That's modern life I'm afraid

In my experience, that's dead right (and not just in speedway).

I'm sure I spotted Stuart Maconie in the bar.

He included a piece about Belle Vue speedway in his brilliant book 'The Pie at Night'.

Perhaps he's becoming a fan!

I considered 1500-2000 crowd to be decent.

Belle vue have to regain alot of trust with people. That will only happen after a few matches

Technically it wasn't opening night, opening night had 6000 there, last night was an off night Wednesday night and after all the problems recently you can understand some people being dubious and not turning up until sure track problems are sorted (which they are).

As was mentioned before meeting the track is being kept slick and hard to start off with so it beds down, it was only completely dug up and reload couple of weeks ago. No problems with it last night so they will start to build up the dirt now.

The centre green man isn't new, he did last season too.

Was it a decent crowd though?

If the centre green roving microphone was the same as last year, he was just as crap then. Anyone know why the South Stand car park was shut off. (according to the official site)

Easy solution to the ticket queues, give a separate window to the standing ticket fans, as they do not have to pick and choose a seat.

Surely a time & motion exercise could soon work out how long staff were taking to issue a ticket.

I can see a lot of delayed start times, so annoying when you have yourself pre booked a ticket, glad I am giving it a miss until they have sorted how to run a stadium efficiently.

If the centre green roving microphone was the same as last year, he was just as crap then. Anyone know why the South Stand car park was shut off. (according to the official site)

Easy solution to the ticket queues, give a separate window to the standing ticket fans, as they do not have to pick and choose a seat.

Surely a time & motion exercise could soon work out how long staff were taking to issue a ticket.

I can see a lot of delayed start times, so annoying when you have yourself pre booked a ticket, glad I am giving it a miss until they have sorted how to run a stadium efficiently.

"Glad you are giving it a miss".

Can't be that much of a fan then can you.

I'm sure lessons will be learned with regards to the ticket process and improved for the next meeting.

The important thing is the stadium/track is up and running and all speedway fans can look forward to their visits there.

I know I will certainly be visiting when over in the UK in the summer.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 4

That 1st line is absolutely important and considering this is effectively opening night 1500-2000 people is extremely disappointing.

Worse built stadiums have had better opening night figures than that.

Over the next few weeks will tell if that's the opening night numbers and the rest of the season drops below that, that will surely become a concern to the promotion in making the stadium pay quite quickly??

Said this a long time ago mate, lets see how things are after the honeymoon period and the World cup...

As for the announcers, nothing wrong with the track announcer although the pa was too quiet. The centre green man is a waste of space. Just waffles I'm afraid. I've done a bit of 'announcing' and it's all about preparation (like most things I guess?) and I get the impression he just turns up and doesn't seem to even know the home riders that well never mind the away riders. He might grow into it but a couple of hours research before a meeting so he can talk with authority and confidence would make a massive difference.

Not in the south stand it wasn't. It was near deafening.

Absolutely spot on about the presenter - gave the impression that Friday was the first speedway meeting he'd ever been to, and that's inexcusable.

I know my old mate Kevin Moore (King's Lynn, Peterborough, Mildenhall) one of the most professional announcers in the game used to have what he'd say planned well in advance.

Well done the Rockinest Robins :t:

Fortunately for Swindon 2 or 3 of the Aces perhaps underperformed..

I was being to worry about young Morris, but he certainly turned things around towards the end last night :t:

TBH, I'm quite surprised how well the Robins have done latterly, hopefully we'll keep this going !

• Like 1

Not in the south stand it wasn't. It was near deafening.

Absolutely spot on about the presenter - gave the impression that Friday was the first speedway meeting he'd ever been to, and that's inexcusable.

I know my old mate Kevin Moore (King's Lynn, Peterborough, Mildenhall) one of the most professional announcers in the game used to have what he'd say planned well in advance.

Kevin Moore is still good, has a great rapport with the riders, good bloke!