British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

If The Elite League Goes Down To 7 Teams In Mid Season, Would It Be Able To Carry On Running?

Do sky advertise speedway at any other times except when a meeting is on? I never see it advertised during a footie, rugger, cricket, or any other sport....? You don't see it advertised on any of sky's other non-sport channels like the Premier League footie/cricket gets..

I will stand corrected if they do, but I cannot remember any, except maybe Cardiff? Even that may have been multiple season ago....

Yes they do, occasionally on the Sky sports adverts.

Sky apparently offered tai a mega deal to ride in Britain and to use him to profile British speedway but he turned it down so I guess sky didn't come up with plan B to promote the sport.

This thread has eff all to do with Tai so please can you just shut up for once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

It was made official somewhere that sky offered tai a super deal to be the figure head of British speedway on sky & that didn't include any deals he would also get from the British club he raced for here.

I am not sure of the Bspa deal

If someone has a link because it's not one that I have read.

Without an official link confirming then it remains and stays as gossip or assumption.

• Like 3

isnt next season a one-two day league format? surely the whole structure going to change then?

isnt next season a one-two day league format? surely the whole structure going to change then?

Should have done it years ago, probably wouldn't be the mess it is now.

• Like 1

In my opinion the Elite league will never be a success whilst there are so few teams in it , we need to get back to a much bigger league twelve minimum, It was much better in the British League days when a different visiting number one was on parade every week inter- mingled with an odd individual meeting here and there. In its current format it wont last much longer....

• Like 2

would it be a loss if sky pulled out? it would for the people who like their weekly dose, but it does nothing for the weekly track the cameras turn up to, even poole couldnt get the crowd to turn out

wouldn't it make speedway look better to outsiders if they just film the big games, like world cup, gps, play offs?

Look at the Swedish Speedway, they have live matches with big crowds, Poland live matches with huge crowds... what is British Speedway doing wrong?

Look at the Swedish Speedway, they have live matches with big crowds, Poland live matches with huge crowds... what is British Speedway doing wrong?

Do you really want a season of seven home matches plus maybe one or two in the playoffs?

The crowd levels over there have nothing to do with single nights. Swedish crowds my be large by British standards but only tend to be 2-4,000. Poland has a very long history of large crowds, going back way into the communist era. Most towns staging speedway in both countries do tend to benefit from being in relatively small places where seven big events a year are probably rather significant.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

Do you really want a season of seven home matches plus maybe one or two in the playoffs?

The crowd levels over there have nothing to do with single nights. Swedish crowds my be large by British standards but only tend to be 2-4,000. Poland has a very long history of large crowds, going back way into the communist era. Most towns staging speedway in both countries do tend to benefit from being in relatively small places where seven big events a year are probably rather significant.

yes, but what encourages a Swede or a Pole to turn up to a TV match that puts a British punter off?

i wouldnt mind, throw in a ko cup, a british final over a few rounds, would fill up the calendar nicely. not sure the riders would be keen though.

shame about the ko cup, used to enjoy that. shame couldn't get a sponsor for that

• Like 1

If someone has a link because it's not one that I have read.

Without an official link confirming then it remains and stays as gossip or assumption.

Doesn't someone on here work for sky sports? Flagrag i think

I am not sure of the Bspa deal

Probably a bag of chips on the way home after a meeting, with a small sausage in batter or fishcake if he hit double figures.

In my opinion the Elite league will never be a success whilst there are so few teams in it , we need to get back to a much bigger league twelve minimum, It was much better in the British League days when a different visiting number one was on parade every week inter- mingled with an odd individual meeting here and there. In its current format it wont last much longer....

Maybe Glasgow , Sheffield , Somerset and one or two others can be tempted into a rebranded top division