British Speedway Forum
Pogo1

Glasgow V Newcastle, Sunday 29th May @ 3pm.

i agree Dave, If there is no punishment for breaking the tapes, it can be used to a teams advantage, for example, the rider they really want to use requires extra time to repair/adjust his bike you send out another qualifying rider with the instructions to break the tapes thus giving your preferred rider time to get his machinery ready to race, of course, no team manager would ever stoop so low, would he? :wink:

• Like 2

The ref didn't interpret the rules he applied them. If other refs get it wrong then something should be done about it but would say football is an example where rules can be interpreted differently - offside handball etc. Have I mentioned what a brilliant match it was

Football!! Offside and handball are observations ,not knowing who should be allowed on the pitch might be more comparable and you don't see that in football.Speedway just invents its own problems every season,it never learns!! It's just a pity the the all the refs don't know the rules in what is meant to be a professional sport.

Heat 15 fiasco is slightly negating what was a wonderful meeting yes Newcastle may have still got a point but in all 3 re-runs Richard had hit the front and did win the heat when it eventually did manage a conclusion so it makes no difference but it appears even the Referees do not know the rules.

It appears the rule was applied correctly yesterday not that i agree with it but correctly nevertheless seems that other referees need a crash course in applying the correct rules, hopefully the Diamonds fans witness a meeting that matches yesterday's wonderful spectacle.

Just proves when you put out two evenly matched teams with riders willing to put it on the line then that is what you get superb entertainment both teams deserve plaudits for that.

• Like 5

Our Team manager is still waiting from the SCB, an answer to his query about this rule, following identical circumstances at our away meeting at Berwick recently when Jorgenson was intended to be the replacement. Apparently it was never meant to help a guilty team of an infringement. Richie should have gone off 15 metres, or his replacement replace him with the same penalty.

If that is not applied, then the tactics is to put you fastest rider in, and if he breaks the tapes. you put you best gater in to replace him. Absolute stupidity.

To those who say it didn't matter anyway, you are wrong. We were 7 points behind going into heat 15, and with Richie or replacement off 15 metres, we might or could have got a 5-1 or a 4-2 to give us a match point. All 4 from the gate stopped that.

So is this a case of its maybe what it says but its not what is meant 😨

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 1

Our Team manager is still waiting from the SCB, an answer to his query about this rule, following identical circumstances at our away meeting at Berwick recently when Jorgenson was intended to be the replacement. Apparently it was never meant to help a guilty team of an infringement. Richie should have gone off 15 metres, or his replacement replace him with the same penalty.

If that is not applied, then the tactics is to put you fastest rider in, and if he breaks the tapes. you put you best gater in to replace him. Absolute stupidity.

To those who say it didn't matter anyway, you are wrong. We were 7 points behind going into heat 15, and with Richie or replacement off 15 metres, we might or could have got a 5-1 or a 4-2 to give us a match point. All 4 from the gate stopped that.

Might, could, didn't

• Like 3

Did you watch tonight's Sky meeting? Heat 15 the exact same thing happened with the same outcome as yesterday, well not exactly, Kings Lynn sneaked a point!

Well what a great day out, it felt like a modern motorcycle meeting not a dated day out from 30 or 40 years ago. Great racing modern facilities and a feel good factor about the place. Amazed by the age of the crowd, lots of youngsters there who got on the centre green to meet roary the tiger then take take part in a running race. They looked like they loved it, about 50 of them. The crowd were kept involved and the amount of 18 to 35 year olds was brilliant. They chanted and got behind the riders and had a great day out. Staff even bought ice creams round trying to get extra revenue in, never seen that before.viewing brilliant and looked like a promotion who take care of the small details. Even had someone going round after the meeting picking the litter up. Very impressed. Agree with a post above the 50/50 seller was saying 500 pound pay out when it wasn't. Not far off though.

The only downside was the inside line. Basically there isn't one. If this could be sorted somehow what a place it would be.

Take a bow Glasgow worth every penny and will definitely be back next year despite a 5 hour journey!

Glad you enjoyed your visit , if speedway was always like this meeting there would be no falling attendances

But regarding the heat 15 question . If memory serves me , and Pogo could help me here , when I was down at Plymouth in 2011 and Josh Grajczonek got injured , we were going to replace him with Joe Screen had the meeting beaten the curfew and the rerun of heat 15 had been allowed to happen .

But despite Glasgow doing nothing wrong by replacing Richie with Aaron , it does seem unfair that there was no penalty for going through the tapes other than Richie being excluded .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 2

Just so everyone is clear and for those that cannae be bothered looking back at previos posts. The rule was changed from last year, Glasgow did nothing wrong, the ref applied the rule. The rule might be stupid, the rule may have been badly written like many of the rules. Glasgow got 4 points, Newcastle 3. We won on aggregate, our track brilliant, nrwcastles wasnt. Don't think I've missed anything 😃

• Like 2

Just so everyone is clear and for those that cannae be bothered looking back at previos posts. The rule was changed from last year, Glasgow did nothing wrong, the ref applied the rule. The rule might be stupid, the rule may have been badly written like many of the rules. Glasgow got 4 points, Newcastle 3. We won on aggregate, our track brilliant, nrwcastles wasnt. Don't think I've missed anything

Apart from Newcastle not having two of their in form riders last night who scored 18 points away at Wolves which would of meant even steven and an aggregate win for Newcastle and as for the track I have seen poor tracks at Glasgow in my time also (as I have every track)- now lets be consistent in all this before you get carried away.

Edited by acclennell

Apart from Newcastle not having two of their in form riders last night who scored 18 points away at Wolves which would of meant even steven and an aggregate win for Newcastle and as for the track I have seen poor tracks at Glasgow in my time also (as I have every track)- now lets be consistent in all this before you get carried away.

This is a cracker. What has a meeting in the el got to do with anything. Who knows what they might have scored. Its like me saying richard scored two 18 point el paid maximums so he will score a max in every pl match! It also doesnae matter what both tracks have been like, at the weekend ours was perfect, Robert lambert equalled the track record in only his second ever ride. YET heonly scored a point after that. Who would have predicted that?

Edited by SharpenRake

This is a cracker. What has a meeting in the el got to do with anything. Who knows what they might have scored. Its like me saying richard scored two 18 point el paid maximums so he will score a max in every pl match! It also doesnae matter what both tracks have been like, at the weekend ours was perfect, Robert lambert equalled the track record in only his second ever ride. YET heonly scored a point after that. Who would have predicted that?

The meeting proves that both were bang on form last night against EL opposition is it not a fair comparison (and also based on the fact that both have been in excellent form on their home track this season) to say that they would have added to the Newcastle total last night - I think most knowledgeable speedway supporters would say yes. Seems your manager was also of the opinion Lambert and Rose missing also weakened Newcastle I wonder why that is :lol: .

As for the track well Mr Summers obviously didn't have any problems with it. We will probably see in the future when the 2 teams are matched again probably at some point (cup maybe even play-off) - I look forward to it :t:

Edited by acclennell
  • Like 1

I suppose summers will be used to the moto X track with all his appearances with Redcar lol But do not foreget 2 points on Newcastles total is 2 points off Glasgows which I believe rose& lambert would of easily achieved so that is a 4 point swing.I told my mate at the start of the meeting not to go over the 10 point mark but hey ho some you win some you lose.Two good teams with really nothing between them so hope all stay fit& well for later in the season.

Edited by soupy
  • Like 2

My 1st ever visit to Glasgow and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed

superb set up, cracking race track

super meeting by two of the top 4 sides in league

Glasgow deserved the win but I think Newcastle were worthy of a point

Minor grumbles .... thought the referee was very generous with the 1st bend falls ........ looked like outside rider going for non existant space to me

less said about the heat 15 debacle .... just for the record in the 1st run the diamonds jumped into a 5-1 lead - looked like good gating to me ................ anyway that stupid rule needs changing ........... not glasgows fault ...... but the rule is wrong

and Glasgow may have won the battle ...... but a full strength Newcastle over 2 legs ........... I know where my money is going

• Like 1