British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Bcmma Cook

Future Of British Speedway?

- the 'nutters brigade' as a friend who has a thriving Facebook calls them - iris123, pugwash, Darcys Onion and a few more. .

Can you clarify for me if that is the guy who screams like a kid who's mum won't buy him chocolate when he posts 60 pics from Speedway Star and no-one makes a comment?Or another weirdo?

• Like 2

Don't worry about Gustix - the Penge village idiot.

You may have been going to Cradley since '64 but to him you're a newby, as he still likes to think it's 1946.

He's fully aware that Dudley Wood closed in 1995 and the good Cradley NL crowds mentioned on this this thread are at Wolverhampton. He just likes to troll.

Best thing is to put him on ignore.

Nice one, I'm cool, trust me, Cradley '64 the crowd I called large, was more like massive and really friendly and it is a fond memory.

I am sure that ALL current speedway fans know that Cradley race home matches at Wolverhampton. But would a non-speedway fan who might see the reference but was becoming interested in the sport not wonder where Cradley were based in the Dudley Wood area?

I know loads of non-Speedwáy fans who are becoming interested in the sport and have just joined the forum, and they all said they thought the poster was talking about Cradley in Herefordshire, and they all,pm'd me and asked me thank you for that clafication, otherwise they would have been driving all over a Herefordshire looking for a Speedwáy stadium that wasn't there . Wow ! What a sight that would have been.

Good job we some speedway journalists on the forum, what?

• Like 3

Best thing is to put him on ignore.

Or a least as he has all the 'nutters brigade, on 'Pretend ignore'.

It really is a waste of time on this Forum.

Then don't waste your time. Do one.

Edited by pugwash
  • Like 2

The promotions at most clubs need to up the game, they want to attract people to the sport but do no or very little advertising. I know it was before the days of the Internet but in the Coventry evening telegraph we always used to have an advert for the speedway, then on a Saturday in the pink there was the captains column.

In some ways the word promotion is as false as calling it an elite league.

"Promotion refers to raising customer awareness of a product or brand, generating sales, and creating brand loyalty. It is one of the four basic elements of the market mix, which includes the four P's: price, product, promotion, and place."

Here's a laugh. Coventry's promotion is so astute that in their Elite League programme they don't even list the Coventry Storm fixtures. Then they moan when nobody goes!

All tracks should be handing out a free scorecard and a fixture list when you walk through the gates. It costs next to nothing, free promotion. Particularly when you own a printing company!

What sane business doesn't advertise to the hilt when the next event is to people inside the stadium?

Oh well, they'll never learn. Shrouding team line ups and fixture lists in secrecy is the best way.

• Like 2

Back to this national league is the same as the elite league, its not!!!!

Do you think that if Arsenal, or Chelsea were relegated over the course of 3 seasons and ended up in league 2, they would still get 50,000 to 60,000 for every game? No, they wouldn't, it would drop to probably around 30,000 or so..

Speedway needs A Top League, with as many top riders as possible.

Polands bubble will burst, it's over extended itself at the moment, it's like a Sun that's turned into a red giant, it will go pop!!

We need to make sure we have a league that can take advantage of that, when it happens.. 2 seasons, maybe 3 seasons away from bursting, at the most...

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 2

Another huge crowd that packed the Dudley Wood stadium, original home of the Cradley Heathens, would be Alan Grahame's testimonial meeting, with a packed program of events, including vintage dirt track bikes which seemed to go down well at the time.

Ah....Alan Grahame....there's a blast from the past. Interestingly enough (well perhaps not but it was to me :lol: ) my son bought a car from his daughter a few years ago and saw a big Speedway painting on the wall so of course had to brag to me where he'd been, even though he'd got no idea who Alan Grahame was. The car is still going strong by the way so it was a good buy.

You won't get a second half like that, after 15 heats 1, clubs have a curfew, and 2, riders will not want that. 3, if you get a big smash during the main meeting then your in trouble.

My proposal for a second half is after a 12 heat main event - i.e. 16 races in an evening. If a rider is missing through injury, a reserve could take the place of the missing rider. should beat most curfews

BTW - this is not a new invention of mine. This format was in place back in the 70's when there were 13 heats and 7 second half races.

My proposal for a second half is after a 12 heat main event - i.e. 16 races in an evening. If a rider is missing through injury, a reserve could take the place of the missing rider. should beat most curfews

BTW - this is not a new invention of mine. This format was in place back in the 70's when there were 13 heats and 7 second half races.

The same 70's where most people left after Heat 13, and campaigned for matches to be longer and second halves abolished. Believe me they were a waste of time, Nobody (riders or spectators) was interested in them.

Edited by HertsRacer
  • Like 2

The same 70's where most people left after Heat 13, and campaigned for matches to be longer and second halves abolished. Believe me they were a waste of time, Nobody (riders or spectators) was interested in them.

second halves have always bored me to tears. As a kid I used to watch them at wembley because there used to be some top riders competing from other tracks. Even at my local track Wimbledon, I gave them a miss.