British Speedway Forum

Somerset really does suffer from the elements. There is usually a breeze or strong wind. It dries out the track very quickly, which is a shame.

I think having the PL pairs there is a good idea, as it makes a good weekend linked up with the GP.

If Newport were still open, I would have suggested there too.

As for home advantage...many riders say how much they like Racing at Somerset, as it's seen as a neutral track that suits many riders.

• Like 2

Somerset were head and shoulders above everyone else.

The racing was better in the second half of the meeting but I wouldn't exactly say it was brilliant.

Biggest gripe I had was wearing half the track upon leaving, the watering was a bloody joke. dust clouds are completely unacceptable.

Last word is for the referee 23 heats in a little over 2 hours including a small interval, very impressive.

hope Pboro management was was watching how to run 23 heats as you say in just over two hours my guess the up coming 4s weekend won't be run as well and as fast as this meeting .
  • Like 2

Pl pairs should be held on a el track or national stadium

The event should be held where it generates most revenue for the sport, and experience suggests that means it stays at Somerset.

And can I say the semi finals were just fantastic.

• Like 4

Rohans a very underated rider, he maybe tiny but when he's right he's very good.

When he traps he's very good when he doesn't he isn't.

hope Pboro management was was watching how to run 23 heats as you say in just over two hours my guess the up coming 4s weekend won't be run as well and as fast as this meeting .

36 heats each day so undoubtedly it won't be run as quick, depends on the referee really for the speed of the meeting coupled with effective track maintenance.

A hot sunny day presents problems in itself especially in keeping the track damp enough to prevent dust forming.

When he traps he's very good when he doesn't he isn't.

From the experience I've had of watching him, you couldn't be any further from the truth.

Even last night I can't recall who it is, but I seem to remember him diving up the inside of somebody into turn 3. I also seem to recall reading on the updates he made a few passes when we hammered you last weekend at Peterborough. It turns out he made at least 4! Rounding Craig Cook and passing Ostergaard twice. Nahhhhhh rubbish when he misses the gate!

• Like 2

Still have to ask why ? I could say the same about the PL riders Championship at Sheffield..

• Like 3

Most of the riders ride in the EL as well, so someone, somewhere, will still have a 'home advantage.' Belle Vue ride at the National Stadium, so still the same situation there.

Why not run it at Cardiff after the practice on the Friday night? Or would FIM/SGP/Whoever not agree to that?

Same old rubbish trotted out again, as it was in 2013. There have been 10 running's of the event at the Oaktree, and only two winners for Somerset in all that time, not what you'd call a strangle hold on the competition, or a massive home track advantage is it.

2007 - Magnus Zetterström & Emil Kramer - 3rd in Group

2008 - Jason Doyle & Emil Kramer - 2nd

2009 - Steve Johnston & Emil Kramer - 2nd

2010 - Cory Gathercole & Shane Parker - 3rd

2011 - Cory Gathercole & Sam Masters - 3rd in Group

2012 - Jason Doyle & James Wright - Semi-Final

2013 - Jason Doyle & Josh Grajczonek - Winners

2014 - Olly Allen & Nick Morris - 2nd

2015 - Brady Kurtz & Josh Grajczonek - 2nd

2016 - Rohan Tungate & Josh Grajczonek - Winners

Runners - up four times and twice winners in 10 contests and only failing to get out of the group twice, suggests a slight 'home track advantage' to me.

• Like 3

Excellent meeting last night. A proper speedway evening. Perfect weather conditions (probably not for the track curator) all riders putting in 100% effort, and some terrific racing.

The crowd was up on last year's PL Pairs and the atmosphere created by the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Somerset fans added to the tension.

As previously stated by others, the two semi finals were superb. In the Scotland 'Derby' semi, Glasgow were just over one lap from qualifying for the final until Masters intentionally slowed the race. Fisher, alert to the situation began gaining on Lawson before executing a superb inside pass on the last two bends. Que for wild celebrations from the Monarchs fans on the back straight. Fisher really is an entertainer, and a pantomime villain too! In heat 1 he passed Simon Stead on the final lap, and even began his victory celebrations as he entered the last two bends!!

The second semi again involved Stead, who huffed and puffed to stay alongside Howarth to keep out the probing and pressing Gracijonek who at one point was stone last. Eventually however, the Rebels skipper, gaining speed on every lap, breezed past both Sheffied riders as if they were stood still.

In the final, the Somerset pairing made the gate and were gone. Probably the best two pairs contested the final, with the Rebels deserved winners. special mentions for Matej Kus, Todd Kurtz, Kyle Howarth and to a lesser extent, Ulrich Ostergaard and Nico Covatti for providing some exciting racing.

Often overlooked at speedway meetings such as these are the usual impeccable behaviour of over 3000 supporters from clubs across the UK. Some of them fierce rivals, but still they stand shoulder to shoulder dishing out friendly banter.

Would be nice to see other British sports do the same.

• Like 5

Excellent meeting last night. A proper speedway evening. Perfect weather conditions (probably not for the track curator) all riders putting in 100% effort, and some terrific racing.

The crowd was up on last year's PL Pairs and the atmosphere created by the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Somerset fans added to the tension.

As previously stated by others, the two semi finals were superb. In the Scotland 'Derby' semi, Glasgow were just over one lap from qualifying for the final until Masters intentionally slowed the race. Fisher, alert to the situation began gaining on Lawson before executing a superb inside pass on the last two bends. Que for wild celebrations from the Monarchs fans on the back straight. Fisher really is an entertainer, and a pantomime villain too! In heat 1 he passed Simon Stead on the final lap, and even began his victory celebrations as he entered the last two bends!!

The second semi again involved Stead, who huffed and puffed to stay alongside Howarth to keep out the probing and pressing Gracijonek who at one point was stone last. Eventually however, the Rebels skipper, gaining speed on every lap, breezed past both Sheffied riders as if they were stood still.

In the final, the Somerset pairing made the gate and were gone. Probably the best two pairs contested the final, with the Rebels deserved winners. special mentions for Matej Kus, Todd Kurtz, Kyle Howarth and to a lesser extent, Ulrich Ostergaard and Nico Covatti for providing some exciting racing.

Often overlooked at speedway meetings such as these are the usual impeccable behaviour of over 3000 supporters from clubs across the UK. Some of them fierce rivals, but still they stand shoulder to shoulder dishing out friendly banter.

Would be nice to see o

Great summary ER. Nice presentation from the centre green as well. well done

• Like 3

2007 - Magnus Zetterström & Emil Kramer - 3rd in Group

2008 - Jason Doyle & Emil Kramer - 2nd

2009 - Steve Johnston & Emil Kramer - 2nd

2010 - Cory Gathercole & Shane Parker - 3rd

2011 - Cory Gathercole & Sam Masters - 3rd in Group

2012 - Jason Doyle & James Wright - Semi-Final

2013 - Jason Doyle & Josh Grajczonek - Winners

2014 - Olly Allen & Nick Morris - 2nd

2015 - Brady Kurtz & Josh Grajczonek - 2nd

2016 - Rohan Tungate & Josh Grajczonek - Winners

Runners - up four times and twice winners in 10 contests and only failing to get out of the group twice, suggests a slight 'home track advantage' to me.

I'm just looking at this list wondering on the earth James Wright ever made it into the Pairs for us!

Would be nice to see other British sports do the same.

Can't argue with any of that - excellent summary.

Somerset really does suffer from the elements. There is usually a breeze or strong wind. It dries out the track very quickly, which is a shame.

I think having the PL pairs there is a good idea, as it makes a good weekend linked up with the GP.

If Newport were still open, I would have suggested there too.

As for home advantage...many riders say how much they like Racing at Somerset, as it's seen as a neutral track that suits many riders.

The event should be held where it generates most revenue for the sport, and experience suggests that means it stays at Somerset.

And can I say the semi finals were just fantastic.

i am also happy its held a somerset . if fans want to make the effort to have a full weekend of racing , where better than the ota Friday and then onto Cardiff for the gp .

makes seance to me , best team won on the day.

well appy with the comets input into this meeting. only 2 points of getting into the semi,s .

while i am on ,well done to the revels , josh and rohan . tough luck on the marra,s duo .

twice winners in ten years is not classed as home advantage, although the runners up positions do hint there is a bit of home advantage . but that will never be eliminated .

only another 4 wins to match the match the record of workington ,

good reading on the updates site too . well appy .

• Like 1