British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

Apart from the 6-rider team meeting that was trialled recently at Kings Lynn - without too much further detail as to how it might be introduced or structured - I don't see any other Club Promoter making any proposals for fans to give a view on?!

Apart from the 6-rider team meeting that was trialled recently at Kings Lynn - without too much further detail as to how it might be introduced or structured - I don't see any other Club Promoter making any proposals for fans to give a view on?!

I agree nobody else has come forward

Do i think it will work? No

Does it benefit Poole more than anyone else? Yes, but im not moaning about that as of course any promoter putting forward any proposal will never put forward one that could affect their own side.

• Like 1

Whatever the detail you can bet it will suit Poole Speedway

• Like 1

Matt Ford will race in any league or set up as long as he wins because that's the only thing that matters to him.

• Like 1

Whatever the detail you can bet it will suit Poole Speedway

Matt Ford will race in any league or set up as long as he wins because that's the only thing that matters to him.

Im probably the most anti Matt Ford poster on this forum but as i said any promoter putting forward any idea is only going to suggest something they can benefit from so i dont blame Ford for putting it out there.

As ive said if it comes into play speedway will just fade off and die in this country.

Matt Ford only looking short term and not whats good or the future of the sport.

• Like 1

He seems to want the Elite to grow but doesn't mention the impending loss of Coventry and probably Swindon Lakeside and likely Leicester at some stage.

Not much of a league left unless it will be 4 clubs riding against each other 10 times!

The only way change will happen is if large sums of money come into the sport and Sky won't pay for it.

• Like 1

He seems to want the Elite to grow but doesn't mention the impending loss of Coventry and probably Swindon Lakeside and likely Leicester at some stage.

Not much of a league left unless it will be 4 clubs riding against each other 10 times!

The only way change will happen is if large sums of money come into the sport and Sky won't pay for it.

Is that not the responsibilty of Gospeed who have been trying to find a league sponsor.

Edited by A ORLOV

some people make the mistake of thinking that the superstars bring in the crowds its not its having a competitive team and being in with a genuine chance of winning the league

(re: leicester city)

• Like 3

some people make the mistake of thinking that the superstars bring in the crowds its not its having a competitive team and being in with a genuine chance of winning the league

(re: leicester city)

competitive speedway always the be all and end all.

Though for some teams they think winning is all that matters

When we at Ipswich had the all conquering team i didnt always go i picked and chose as some meetings were so one sided i didnt want to part with my money

Did i want us to win the league? Yes

Was the racing good? Not really.

Any newbies i could have took to the sport would have been utterly bored.

Moving on to a couple of seasons ago i took a mate to see Ipswich v Edinburgh and in heat 1 Cook and Barker had their issue and Cook was thrown out. Since that meeting he has come with me nearly everytime i go which is only about 6 times a season.

No point Poole being miles in front of everybody and then seeing the sport die because of it

• Like 1

One big league is the only answer, with any cup, pairs or fours competitions being available to any clubs that wish to volunteer to be in them, that way you can have as many or few meetings as you like.

Imo squads could actually mean less riders as some will feel it is not viable without a guaranteed amount of meetings, some already are close to this. I know some feel that they ought to get jobs as such as in the old days to offset this, but employers are different in their views re time off nowadays so as to accommodate this. Awkward questions /decisions to be made.

Finished bottom of the League i think three times in my lifetime for me i could not care less.Good racing is what i want ,if i see a good close meeting i am happy we won the league the other year first time since 67 myself i was not that bothered to be honest.Entertainment is the key One big league for me even if teams are of a lesser standard.

• Like 3

A squad might be ok but if I was a rider I would want either a signing on fee or a retainer to stop me offering my services to another club if I had the time.

How would clubs afford this.

Irrespective of what league the paying public want weekly speedway not 3 and 4 week gaps before a home meeting