British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

MATT Ford reiterates in Speedway Star this week that squads, more fixtures and regular race meetings are the only way forward for British speedway.

Hard to argue with that in my view.

• Like 2

MATT Ford reiterates in Speedway Star this week that squads, more fixtures and regular race meetings are the only way forward for British speedway.

Pretty much what many fans have been saying for a few years then.

• Like 1

the problem with squads is that the rich bags all the best riders...sign them up to stop other clubs using them...ok so they may only be able to put a team out on a particular day under the points limit but the majority of clubs won't be able to compete. Unless you envisage there being some kind of restriction on make up of squads? Seems to me this will benefit Poole more than any other club but they will find they have few other teams to race against! Rider control with set pay scales is the answer. (but I'm not holding my breath)

So lets just leave things as they are and continue to watch Speedway die on its arse in Britain, because thats whats happening!

• Like 1

the problem with squads is that the rich bags all the best riders...sign them up to stop other clubs using them...

That's how it works for all sports. It's up to the others to get better.

TBF Matt did say that riders would have to be shared out fairly.

Matt Ford is probably the most successful modern day Speedway promoter, at least He's putting ideas forward..He knows what its like to run a speedway club, we just talk(mostly cr@p ;) ) about it...We need to try change or as I said earlier..watch the sport die on its arse.

• Like 1

The only way to get more meetings is to increase the amount of teams in the top league , how you go about that , I'll leave to the experts because I can't see many teams in the PL looking to move up .

And how would that happen?

Either 1 big league which would be the death knell, or more teams move

What Premier league team would want to move up to the Elite league at the moment?? None i reckon.

What Premier league team would want to move up to the Elite league at the moment?? None i reckon.

I thought you said Ippo want to come up. Well the only place they will go is the NL. Because they have as much chance of affording it as i have of winning the Euro millions...But im still sure you will support them... Not.Based on your posts on this forum You dont now, so nothing will change.. :nono:

Would suit me, surely all promotions want to be competative and a drawcard within their league so help each other to make it happen and hopefully the likes of Peterborough, Ipswich, Glasgow, Sheffield will come up (wouldn't that be great)
  • Like 1

Now that we're in a post Brexit era , could the lower league go back to the way it was with a restriction on overseas riders ?

It always could have done, by it didn't then and doesn't now suit promoters to do it.

the problem with squads is that the rich bags all the best riders...sign them up to stop other clubs using them...ok so they may only be able to put a team out on a particular day under the points limit but the majority of clubs won't be able to compete. Unless you envisage there being some kind of restriction on make up of squads? Seems to me this will benefit Poole more than any other club but they will find they have few other teams to race against! Rider control with set pay scales is the answer. (but I'm not holding my breath)

they already have peterboroughs asset list to choose from aswell,

squads will kill the elite the rich clubs will be able to afford the better riders , while the poor clubs will be left with the scraps

fans want to see a team of the same 7 riders, it gives the club identity, fans dont like going to matches not knowin who is gonna be riding for your club!

just sign 7 riders ,if one gets injured sign a new rider simples.....it worked before it will work again..all this squad nonsense is rubbish there aint enough riders as it is

• Like 1

The squad would be no more than 10 riders (assuming 7-man teams) or say 8 riders for a six-man format. If there is a limit on the number of heat leaders/2nd strings, then the asset system is irrelevant anyway if a club can only declare a squad of 8 or 10.

The extra meetings (if anyone actually bothered to read the articles) would come from 2 or 3 more teams in the top league - MF named Glasgow plus a couple of others (unnamed) with similar aspirations - plus a new Cup competition which would have the full backing of the BSPA, unlike previously, and a possible sponsor!!

Clearly there would have to be some financial stability for those clubs in the senior league - also mentioned in the article - but lets not get ahead of ourselves as MF is yet to seek the views of Poole supporters to get their overview and preferences, which may be entirely different to any of those expressed on this thread/forum, including mine!!

Louis has always said he would go back EL with Ippo if it suited the club.

Glasgow have made a big thing about moving up.

Peterborough have a rich EL history and might depend on the structure of the top flight for them tell reconsider.

• Like 1