British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo1

Glasgow V Edinburgh ,wednesday 29/6/16, Sky Sports 7.30pm

First of all, I would like to acknowledge the progress made by Dan Bewley. Make no mistake about it; he only physically finished ahead of Ayres once and that was such a shock, it cost the Tigers' man his next ride. However, I wasn't shy in expressing my concern that Bewley was not ready for Premier League speedway, so I won't deny the boy credit when he's due it; he was on the pace. Good on him.

Regarding Ayres, that's what speedway needs. Another topic I've been vocal of in the past has been speedways inability to compete with other sports. It lacks a, for example, Conor McGregor character. A love-to-hate sort of personality and Ayres fits the bill. If anything, it's refreshing. It's a novelty and it gets the fans talking, whether it's positive or negative. As Fisher said after the meeting, "if they're not booing you, you're doing something wrong".

The racing was decent, but quite often I found that those able to maintain an outside line whilst ahead were very rarely in trouble. The atmosphere, on the other hand, was electric. Bring Edinburgh, Somerset, Poole, Belle Vue, Man United, anyone and regardless, that home crowd will raise the roof. In terms of modernising speedway, Glasgow are close as speedway gets to perfect.

I recorded the meeting and watched it again this morning; a special mention must go to Stewart Dickson's team talk with five heats to go and two points in it. That's what Sky Sports is all about. It's far, far from it, but that was as close as speedway is going to get to Aguero's last minute winner against QPR. An inspirational rally cry followed by a second-to-none response which blew the Monarchs out of the water.

Can Glasgow win the league? Possibly, but that's a poor Monarchs side which should have been blown away. We'll see...

Personally feel we done a lot better than the scoreline suggests only 2 down after 10 against a decent tigers side until we kind of lost our way a bit in the end, mainly having gates 1&3 in those heats didn't exactly help as gate one was dreadful.

The atmosphere last night was different class all the glasgow fans with their horns and us with our big Drum, was really great to see. Shame that the rain ruined the track a little.

Garcia being the match winner for the tigers with what was probably his best meeting to date, Encouraging signs from Mark Riss and Dan Bewley both continuing to improve. Erik a little below par and Max after a decent heat 2 went back to his normal away form. Special mention has to go to the Fish different class night, that was the Fish of 2010 hopefully that is him coming into a bit of form.

Almost forgot, Danny Ayres, got to laugh cringe worthy celebration for winning the reserve race then beat off a wee boy in his next two rides and finally hooked from his last ride. Maybe used all his energy in that celebration.

Delighted with a convincing win, but Edinburgh look a better side than they started the season. Would agree the meeting was closer than the final result suggests.

Edinburgh Berwick is surely a very attractive fixture for both sets of fans now. We have a huge weekend with Worky who won't be eaasy despite their inept performance on Monday and Sheffield on Sunday.

Personally feel we done a lot better than the scoreline suggests only 2 down after 10 against a decent tigers side until we kind of lost our way a bit in the end, mainly having gates 1&3 in those heats didn't exactly help as gate one was dreadful.

The atmosphere last night was different class all the glasgow fans with their horns and us with our big Drum, was really great to see. Shame that the rain ruined the track a little.

Garcia being the match winner for the tigers with what was probably his best meeting to date, Encouraging signs from Mark Riss and Dan Bewley both continuing to improve. Erik a little below par and Max after a decent heat 2 went back to his normal away form. Special mention has to go to the Fish different class night, that was the Fish of 2010 hopefully that is him coming into a bit of form.

Almost forgot, Danny Ayres, got to laugh cringe worthy celebration for winning the reserve race then beat off a wee boy in his next two rides and finally hooked from his last ride. Maybe used all his energy in that celebration.

Edinburgh were certainly up for it last night and Fisher was box office love him or hate him you would pay to watch him any day off the week have to dis-agree Re; Ayres cringe worthy well maybe in your eyes after all it is the entertainment business and interacting with your own fans is part off that.

But a fair assessment apart from that we always seem to finish meetings strongly wonder why it takes us so long to suss the track out at the start off meetings anyway really enjoyed it last night and special mention to both sets off fans the atmosphere was amazing :t: .

Edinburgh were certainly up for it last night and Fisher was box office love him or hate him you would pay to watch him any day off the week have to dis-agree Re; Ayres cringe worthy well maybe in your eyes after all it is the entertainment business and interacting with your own fans is part off that.

But a fair assessment apart from that we always seem to finish meetings strongly wonder why it takes us so long to suss the track out at the start off meetings anyway really enjoyed it last night and special mention to both sets off fans the atmosphere was amazing :t: .

All matter of opinion of course. Just thought he made himself look a bit silly by celebrating winning the reserve race like that to then follow it up with two lasts.

Hopefully we get atmospheresand crowds like last night at all Derbys like that for years to come.

• Like 1

and not many flyers from the gate .lol.

Young Bewley. Heard reports he was fantastic at BV and was interested to see him ride. On his first ride I thought, what is all the fuss about? Then on his second he was much better and beat a rider who has done many laps around that track.

He is a bit puney and very lightweight. However, he certainly has something about him on a bike. He needs to get down the gym, build himself up and keep improving. He was certainly out muscled by most of the other riders but there could well be a future in the sport for the lad.

Is Danny Aires as OTT as that after every heat win, or was it enhanced for the cameras?

Closest I've seen in recent years was Andrew Silver after a meeting at Rye in 2009, but that was after a 6 ride paid maximum.

• Like 1

Is Danny Aires as OTT as that after every heat win, or was it enhanced for the cameras?

Closest I've seen in recent years was Andrew Silver after a meeting at Rye in 2009, but that was after a 6 ride paid maximum.

That's Danny all the time. Best to celebrate a win when you get it, you can't come out a couple of races later and run over to the crowd for their appreciation. :cheers:

Maybe our wee DB Dan should have gone to the Monarchs hordes in celebration each time he whopped GB Danny.

That's Danny all the time. Best to celebrate a win when you get it, you can't come out a couple of races later and run over to the crowd for their appreciation. :cheers:

Exactly, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have done it if he didn't think the crowd would respond accordingly, it seemed like a two-way thing to me watching on tv, loved it.

Not quite his namesake but I can remember Ken Eyre always having similar great rapport with the fans at Belle Vue, although I think Ken tended to limit it to a cheeky wave. I don't think he ever broke out of the reserve berth (could be wrong) but it didn't stop him being a real favourite back in the day.

As for Barry Ayres, I don't recall him being so outgoing.

Why......

Danny is perhaps a wee tad OTT but IMO not enough riders interact with their supporters nowadays. The other Glasgow riders normally do similar celebrations too and you only have to watch the crowds response to see how much it is appreciated. It all adds to the "fun factor" and it's working for them

The fans love it when Danny celebrates like that , supporters moan about the lack of characters in the sport , so keep on celebrating Danny . I'm old enough to remember Terry Kelly when he rode for Workington and he was much the same playing to the crowd , so I hope Danny continues what he does

• Like 2

Maybe our wee DB Dan should have gone to the Monarchs hordes in celebration each time he whopped GB Danny.

No problem with that, thought that he rode well. :t::cheers:

Fantastic atmosphere and good sized crowd but we really need to keep our feet on the ground. It may be a start but we're not nearly there yet. How big will the crowd be on Sunday with no TV cameras and a smaller travelling support despite stronger opposition? Whilst acknowledging the wonderful marketing efforts of our promotion so far, it certainly must have helped that we were not already "bored" with facing the Monarchs thanks to the dropping of the Spring Trophy meetings. I have talked to many Elite League supporters who are "bored" by meeting the same teams over and over again and would relish a greater variety of opponents.

There are now 5 other PL teams unbeaten at home and 4 with more away points than we have. That's not good enough for the pre-season favourites. We need to come away from Workington on Saturday with a haul of points....... and that might not be easy....... followed up with a home victory against the other Tigers on Sunday.

And as for EL pretensions, I can't see it. Too many vested interests not wanting to water down their Sky income, and can you really see the prima donnas wanting to traipse all the way up to the frozen north twice a year? Our best hope, once we're good enough, is for a single restructured National League following the regrettable demise of the few clubs who are perpetually struggling financially with diminishing support. We were in that situation before the Facennas rescued us and ploughed barrowloads of cash into the facilities and showed how a speedway club should be run.

Was in Cambridge Services earlier today, was good to see them showing last nights meeting on a big screen!

• Like 1