British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Move Over The Elite League.

An expert on the EL then, and someone who can't comment at all about PL or NL tracks other than when they are on Sky (2 or 3 times a season).

Bewitcher's point (repeated by others) that you get good and bad speedway in all the leagues is bang on. To me, its a matter of the track rather than the league, and that's what makes the racing in the PL overall slightly better.than either of the other two. The EL simply doesn't have anything to compare with the EWR at Scunthorpe, for example - had Sunday's meeting been televised, reactions on here would have been very different.

I have seen 41 matches at 20 different tracks so far and recently confirmed my top 5 so far:

Lakeside v Poole (still the best) Sheffield v Newcastle, Isle of Wight (who have set a very high standard) v Belle Vue, Kent v Mildenhall and Scunthorpe v Ipswich.

1EL, 2PL & 2NL pretty much sums it up.

I was at the Lakeside v Poole and thought it average funnily enough.

Funnily enough, that's not exactly 100% correct, although I do get your drift.

I had a family of three in front of me last night at the turnstile, that had never been before, but they were there because it had been better promoted and the price dropped to £10.

They came because of that reason only.

They asked about where it was best to stand, a young lad on his own, took them in hand and spent the evening with them, showing them all the ropes.

I spoke to them again on leaving, and they said they had loved it, and would return again, but only if it was the same price. They basically couldn't afford the prices...regardless of whether it's good or not.

I can't help but think Speedway needs to reduce costs across the board if they want to attract more fans on a regular basis.

As for the meeting...having watched it live and then parts today on youtube...it was a far better meeting live and not on TV.

What you do get from watching on SKY are constant updates by managers and riders alike during the meeting.

Why Speedway can't incorporate that during a meeting when SKY isn't there is beyond me.

Interviewing riders and managers more frequently in the pits over a mic, keeping the public interested in what's going on is something that could and should be tapped in to imo...if they can do it for SKY, why not all the time?

If only Speedway could incorporate a way of watching the pits action at every meeting.

If I was designing a new stadium, it would be one of the first things I did. Incorperate box's, hospitality and a public paddock raised viewing area overlooking the pits....it adds so much more to the speedway experience.

I agree with all you say. Please do not fall over.. :D

• Like 1

I was at the Lakeside v Poole and thought it average funnily enough.

Nothing to do with the fact that you got turned over after leading, I daresay ( I should make it clear that this is the early season Lakeside v Poole).

If you regard that as average, you must be really spoilt at Poole.

Which, incidentally, must be a different Poole to the one near Bournemouth. I like Wimborne Road, but its not that good.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

I would agree with Gresham with a point that was made above. I have been a regular at Berwick for a few years now and similar to his thoughts on the Swindon v Coventry meeting, the Berwick match with Workington was far better live than on TV. It's obvious for all to see that the shape of Berwick's track doesn't lend itself to great racing. The track is too narrow, due to the size of the football pitch. This isn't going to change, so there isn't a lot the club can do about it. The increasing speed of the bikes doesn't help in that regard either.

What I have noticed is that this season more than most, the track has been slicker, requested by the riders. This has meant that the track is smoother than in previous seasons and much easier to ride. It reminds me of a lot of the Grand Prix tracks under Ole Olsen. This is providing what looks like a safer surface for the riders. There have been very few mistakes made by riders this season. This perhaps also doesn't lend itself to great racing. How many times do you see on the smaller, more technical tracks, do you passing occur because of riders making mistakes?

I had a family of three in front of me last night at the turnstile, that had never been before, but they were there because it had been better promoted and the price dropped to £10.

They asked about where it was best to stand, a young lad on his own, took them in hand and spent the evening with them, showing them all the ropes.

I spoke to them again on leaving, and they said they had loved it, and would return again, but only if it was the same price. They basically couldn't afford the prices...regardless of whether it's good or not.

I can't help but think Speedway needs to reduce costs across the board if they want to attract more fans on a regular basis.

As for the meeting...having watched it live and then parts today on youtube...it was a far better meeting live and not on TV.

What you do get from watching on SKY are constant updates by managers and riders alike during the meeting.

Why Speedway can't incorporate that during a meeting when SKY isn't there is beyond me.

Interviewing riders and managers more frequently in the pits over a mic, keeping the public interested in what's going on is something that could and should be tapped in to imo...if they can do it for SKY, why not all the time?

If only Speedway could incorporate a way of watching the pits action at every meeting.

If I was designing a new stadium, it would be one of the first things I did. Incorperate box's, hospitality and a public paddock raised viewing area overlooking the pits....it adds so much more to the speedway experience.

There is a huge amount that promotions should be doing between races to keep fans involved, informed and entertained, but sadly there is a general lack of this at nearly all clubs. To compete with other forms of entertainment, promotions have to learn that putting on 15 races, with a bit of music (normally out of date and over a poor P A system) doesn't cut the mustard any more. The races should only be part (but still the most important part) of the show, not the be all and end all.

• Like 1

Pretty basic but dont know why Periscope for instance isnt used to do interviews during breaks between races with managers and riders...

Couldnt the dvd company provide the feed?

BV has its own wifi (great idea by the way), so it would be accessible to the crowd....

Doesnt need fortunes invested to bring the sport into the modern era...

Just a bit of thought...

They always are. However good the TV production is, it cannot convey the atmosphere, the smell, the speed, and to some extent the tension. That's why it's irritating when we get the couch potatoes on here the day after a TVmeeting telling us how poor it was, track was rubbish and all the rest of it.

Speedwáy is a live sport and unfortunately doesn't convert that well to TV, in fact most motor sports are nowhere near as good on TV as they are live.

• Like 2

They always are. However good the TV production is, it cannot convey the atmosphere, the smell, the speed, and to some extent the tension. That's why it's irritating when we get the couch potatoes on here the day after a TVmeeting telling us how poor it was, track was rubbish and all the rest of it.

Speedwáy is a live sport and unfortunately doesn't convert that well to TV, in fact most motor sports are nowhere near as good on TV as they are live.

I think speedway televises quite well, but agree that being there with the smell, atmosphere and sense of speed adds a lot…. A good meeting on TV is great live. An average meeting is good live. A poor meeting is still an enjoyable evening out, but a miserable couple hours of viewing on the box.

I don’t think that’s the same for all motorsports though. I was lucky enough to be at Imola for the Edwards v Bayliss WSBK showdown… Really didn’t have a clue that it was a decent race let alone one of the best ever until I got home a couple days later and watched it on TV!

One thing I hyave to agree with was the coment made by Kelvin Tatum, last night, that the bikes are far to fast and un-managable, they are now tuning the bikes to the limit. How many times now do we see them grab a bit of loose shale and the bike rises in the air and bucks about like one of those bull rides you see.

The tracks are all to slick and there is the usual dick follow the leader in most races.

It would be nice to see how they managed on the old up right bikes with plenty of shale on the track, when you really had to work hard to win a race. Plus they nearly always carried on when the rain started to fall. I think the riders these days are all to quick to say they can't ride because the rain has made the track un rideable, why because the track is to slick and the bikes to fast.

We are having meetings called off when all we have had is a bit of drizzle, the tracks are now packed that tight, that the water just holds on the track with no where to go.

Is it time to slow things down, maily to stop all the bad accidents we are seeing, with broken arms etc, etc.

All levels of speedway have their good and bad meetings, the sport always takes a hit from fans when a bad meeting is televised and people lament how it will affect the sport and its ability to attract new support. But lefts take F1 for example, two hours of watching paint dry where more passing takes place when the leader takes a pit stop, the prices dwarf speedway but at every GP look at the crowds, the follow my leader style dosent effect the popularity of the sport. I know a GP event offers more than a standard speedway meeting as in effect its like a little town set up with various other entertainments etc, but for on track action its a snooze fest. So by comparison are we overly hard on our sport?

All levels of speedway have their good and bad meetings, the sport always takes a hit from fans when a bad meeting is televised and people lament how it will affect the sport and its ability to attract new support. But lefts take F1 for example, two hours of watching paint dry where more passing takes place when the leader takes a pit stop, the prices dwarf speedway but at every GP look at the crowds, the follow my leader style dosent effect the popularity of the sport. I know a GP event offers more than a standard speedway meeting as in effect its like a little town set up with various other entertainments etc, but for on track action its a snooze fest. So by comparison are we overly hard on our sport?

Absolutely spot on. Live sport is a wonderful thing, a much better experience. I think the team element makes it more exciting too and easier for a new fan to be hooked. I took two people for the first time to Belle Vue last night who loved it, and there were a couple of newbies near us who were up and shouting and cheering by heat ten. A good close meeting is a great night out.

Edited by Notenoughnerve

Absolutely spot on. Live sport is a wonderful thing, a much better experience. I think the team element makes it more exciting too and easier for a new fan to be hooked. I took two people for the first time to Belle Vue last night who loved it, and there were a couple of newbies near us who were up and shouting and cheering by heat ten. A good close meeting is a great night out.

That kind of attitude will get you nowhere on here. Surely they had their sandwiches confiscated or car broken into at some point??

Edited by damosuzuki
  • Like 1

I can't help but think Speedway needs to reduce costs across the board if they want to attract more fans on a regular basis .

A similar story is sadly often told at these 'special offer' meetings...

When three people have paid thirty quid, getting them to see 50 odd quid for the same product as 'good value' a week later is asking a lot...

A shame as it shows that there is a huge untapped market out there for the sport...

It is invariably though the 'price point' that is the key determinant whether these people attend or not....

Last night saw a 'top of the table' clash between BV and Wolves and delivered what looked like the Aces' worst gate of the season as the match was on Sky, football on the box, and full price charged...

What should have been a showcase for the sport looked sadly nothing of the sort with the gaps in the stands...

You would think, especially for the clubs who get the bar and food take, that getting as many punters in as possible would be the aim, lose a bit on the admission, gain a lot more in the bar and food outlets...

And probably more importantly, let a full stadium show the wider TV watching sporting public that your sport is worth a visit....

Sorry the atmosphere and the smell disappeared from the sport many moons ago

Sorry the atmosphere and the smell disappeared from the sport many moons ago

Still ten times better being there, ditto football, rugby etc..