British Speedway Forum

I am sure I read that Brandon Estates are not even talking with the committee group set up. The group is however very active with the council so it's a confusing story to read about a possibility of speedway for a few more years at the stadium.

Even if a new site was to be found I would never want houses built on the stadium grounds. The village would not be able to cope and it shouldn't be "forget about them if we get somewhere else" attitude. The traffic and all that goes with it would be horrendous and put more strain on what is at peak times a nightmare area to be in already.

I expect a few more stories, it's a shame they get printed really as has already been mentioned it's a one sided theory not mentioning the main income of the stadium. Quite bizarre !!

All we can do is keep the faith and get behind the group set up by Jeff and David.

In other news a Coventry Bees side will ride against Birmingham Brummies in Tony Mole farewell meeting on October 11th.

Does Horton still own the Bees ?

Mick Horton does still own the Club Licence and rider assets of Coventry Speedway.

Mick Horton does still own the Club Licence and rider assets of Coventry Speedway.

Just a shame he didn’t sign the lease then

• Like 2

Who are the rider assets?

• Like 1

Just a shame he didnt sign the lease then

We still wouldn't be running if he did. Have you seen the state of the place? Also if he did Brandon would've been added to the local plan.

So he's on board with these challenges then or at least giving his permission

Permission maybe, involved no.

• Like 1

Also what about the properties he stated that he wanted to buy when he first arrived :D , to house the top stars that he was going to get to ride for the bees. :rofl: That's more assets,............. Isn't it?

• Like 2

BUT he is NOT a licensed Promoter

He's sold most of them and the others will never ride for him again Edited by kingbee

He's sold most of them and the others will never ride for him again

Hopefully we won't see him running any clubs again.. A step in the right direction for British Speedway IMO.

• Like 3

89 years ago today, on 29th September 1928, the first ever speedway meeting at Brandon took place - I wonder if there will be another one?

Rugby Advertiser, Friday 28 September 1928

Speedway Thrills on a Real Speedway.

FASTEST IN BRITAIN.

FIRST SPEEDWAY MEETING

AT BRANDON MOTORDROME,

To-Morrow (Saturday) at 3 p.m.

Gates Open 2.15.

POPULAR PRICES 1/2 and 2/4 (including Tax). Children Half-Price.

Refreshments obtainable on Ground.

Famous International Speedway Riders. First Time in Coventry.

Coventry, Birmingham, London, and Australian Riders in Opposition.

Midland Red Ruses will run from Coventry and Rugby direct to the Ground.

Reduced Train Fares. Rugby (L.M.S.) to Brandon, 2.17, return 6.30.

A Real Speedway. As will be seen from our advertisement columns, the first Speedway Meeting on the new track at Brandon Motordrome will held to-morrow (Saturday). The track, which is reputed to be the fastest in Britain and the first of the D shape in this country, measures, outside 462 yards and inside, 352 yards 40 feet wide on the straights and 60 feet wide at corners. A new patent safety fence device has been erected, and in future meetings will be held at night by electric light. Some very high speeds have been attained by local riders, and thus real thrills are assured the spectators, as famous international riders will be competing. There will be special bus facilities from Rugby and Coventry, and reduced train fares to Brandon Station.

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 8

Horton still owns the rights to Coventry speedway , I believe he offered it for sale and there were no takers , so effectively if you don't want to see him running the club he still owns you don't want Coventry to run again .

How on earth do you come to that conclusion !!!! No one is going to spend money on buying the rights when then haven`t a track to race on. A stadium with a future is a different matter altogether and I`m sure would create a lot of interest.

• Like 3

How on earth do you come to that conclusion !!!! No one is going to spend money on buying the rights when then haven`t a track to race on. A stadium with a future is a different matter altogether and I`m sure would create a lot of interest.

beat me to it. :D

Sadly this just gets more and more complicated.

Good Luck to the 'Bees' Supporters, it must be awful with all this conjecture going on.

Let's all hope that something positive will be heard soon.

Please don't start a new thread for 18, because it ain't going to happen

And you home crowds were how big ?

• Like 1