British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

STAARS - Thursday 9th March 2017

All Tigers Fans,

The next and final of the monthly STAARS gatherings this closed season will be next Thursday 9th March 2017 at the New Barrack Tavern Pub on Penistone Road, Sheffield (0.5 mile south of Owlerton Stadium) from 7:30pm.

As always it's a chance for Tigers fans, riders and management to catch up, have a chat and a few drinks from the NBT's excellent selection and hear any news/updates from the club during the silly season.

All are welcome !!!

Pleased to confirm Julie Reading and Robert Branford will be joining us at STAARS this Thursday. Julie will have 2017 season tickets available.

Great gesture from Damien bates I hope it works for him and we can get a few new fans.The days of putting posters up etc is old fashioned and the promotors have got to move with the time.Social media has got to be the way forward .Offers of 2 meetings for £20 in school holidays with kids free or something in that direction.Use groupon and such like to promote offers.Ideal world would be to get the G.P.Promotors involved to drag league racing into a new era.New fans don't want the meetings dragging on all night so the promotors and refs should work together to keep it rolling.Some refs make an effort but not all.The fans also need a complete fixture list not the occasional week with out a meeting.Its easy for people to get out of the habit of going when theres other attractions as we have in Sheffield .

Sadly Groupon doesn't work as all the regulars buy tickets cheap and the revenue goes down. I forget which club did it and it was all over social media, tickets sold out and crowd was very little improved. Just less paid at the gate.

Plus if you have a season ticket, you would feel a little P#### if offers were given all the time, and you got nothing extra for your lotyalty. Grrrr

Sadly Groupon doesn't work as all the regulars buy tickets cheap and the revenue goes down. I forget which club did it and it was all over social media, tickets sold out and crowd was very little improved. Just less paid at the gate.

Plus if you have a season ticket, you would feel a little P#### if offers were given all the time, and you got nothing extra for your lotyalty. Grrrr

Glasgow did groupon a couple of years ago , before the Facenna's took over

Great gesture from Damien bates I hope it works for him and we can get a few new fans.The days of putting posters up etc is old fashioned and the promotors have got to move with the time.Social media has got to be the way forward .Offers of 2 meetings for £20 in school holidays with kids free or something in that direction.Use groupon and such like to promote offers.Ideal world would be to get the G.P.Promotors involved to drag league racing into a new era.New fans don't want the meetings dragging on all night so the promotors and refs should work together to keep it rolling.Some refs make an effort but not all.The fans also need a complete fixture list not the occasional week with out a meeting.Its easy for people to get out of the habit of going when theres other attractions as we have in Sheffield .

I can think of a substantial number of old fans who don't want it either.

Sheffield this season will be all about the track. I'd say the team is the best in the SGBC and the promotion are giving it their best shot.

Last season, though, the racing was rubbish and that is reflected by many, many comments on this thread. Owlerton can be up there with the best and it will be a major let down if efforts with the team and the promotion are not matched by an improvement in the surface.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Weather appears to be set fair for the P&P thankfully, gives time for a spot of practice before the Ipswich trip

The team has apparently had a behind closed doors practice this week, not sure where - Leicester?

The lads look remarkably reminiscent of Blue T*ts in those new race suits (no, honestly - check it out for yourself!). Who paid for those?

I hope they're not made to look like t*ts when they visit Ipswich tomorrow night.

Edited by fourthbender

Josh Bates signs for Kolejarz Rawicz

Kolejarz Rawicz FB:

After today's sparring Josh Bates has signed a letter of intent by which it will be the closest contender RKS Kolejarz Rawicz transfer window! :)

Welcome to trainman Josh!

The confusion over who has first call on Rob Branford seems to continue. There's a reference to it in this weeks SS in which the Rockets team manager says "The rulebook says he should have been with us, but we have been over-ruled by the management committee. As we were in the Premier League last year, we've been told that we have to abide by what happened last year and treat him as if he is a Premier League (Championship) rider."

If that's the case why is he riding for Rye House tonight and not Sheffield? I understand he is an asset of Redcar, so shouldn't Sheffield (Championship team) have first call on him?

Or have the two decided to take it in turns to get guests when fixture clashes occur.

It's all as clear as mud to me. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Although Rob Branford signed for Sheffield for 2017 before he signed for Rye House, and his contract is owned by Redcar, who are in the same league as Sheffield, the original decision that Sheffield would get priority has been reversed, because he rode for Rye House last year. Sheffield aren't best pleased about it.

• Like 1

Although Rob Branford signed for Sheffield for 2017 before he signed for Rye House, and his contract is owned by Redcar, who are in the same league as Sheffield, the original decision that Sheffield would get priority has been reversed, because he rode for Rye House last year. Sheffield aren't best pleased about it.

This could only happen in British Speedway - a rule book that you fill in as the season progresses, by whoever picks it up! Unbelievable, laughable rubbish!

• Like 3

This could only happen in British Speedway - a rule book that you fill in as the season progresses, by whoever picks it up! Unbelievable, laughable rubbish!

"Hi Minnie, is Mickey there? It's the BSPA and we need another rule making up quickly as we have a problem with one we made earlier. The meeting starts in an hour so really need to speak with him urgently"...!!!

• Like 2

It's in the rules that Rye should have first priority... I don't know how Sheffield managed to get him at Workington on Saturday[/quote

Exactly