British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

This is what happens when the rules force young, not ready kids into the championship, they end up retiring or hurting themselves/others

Just look at the crash Connor had in front of Aarnio at Newcastle... Inexperience caused that and experience was the only thing that stopped Tero ploughing straight into Connor... You shouldn't be allowed to ride in this league until you've had at least 3 years experience in the NL or at least a 8 point average in the NL at some point (Which Jack didn't have at the start of the year) .....Just an idea for a rule?

Anyway, what about Jake Knight as a replacement? lol

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

It's difficult though because we have got exactly what we wanted, less waste of space expensive foreigners and more young Brits, trouble is the young Brits arnt good enough yet. Personally I prefer the young Brits but what Dandelion says is right, inexperience can cause serious situations on track. Dilemma

It's difficult though because we have got exactly what we wanted, less waste of space expensive foreigners and more young Brits, trouble is the young Brits arnt good enough yet. Personally I prefer the young Brits but what Dandelion says is right, inexperience can cause serious situations on track. Dilemma

I'd prefer to see the riders who are good enough for good races in the league... Although I am a dirty foreigner myself so maybe I don't see it the same way :P I think there's not enough young Brits around that are good enough... We need another way to nurture them, not just throw them into the deep end and expect them to swim... Maybe we have the fast track reserve thing that the EL had, have the reserves not count towards the points total, but say they have to be Brits with averages under 5, therefore people like Ashley Morris, Dan Bewley, Max Clegg and Liam Carr would be reserves instead of riders like JPB and Connor Coles when it's clearly too early for them... They should stick to the NL and the development leagues... The SDL would have been perfect for Connor Coles...

Don't get me wrong Dandelion I've no problem with foreigners who are good enough but it just makes sense from a cost angle to invest in Brits like the Poles do with there youngsters. However totally agree with you that it can be a dangerous precedent using kids who are not ready. From a confidence angle and a safety angle. Btw never used the quote "dirty" foreigners, not in my vocabulary

• Like 1

He looked way down on power at Sheffield, hopefully comes back soon with a sponser to help get the best out of him

Branford and Howarth took his bikes out after Thursdays meeting, they looked ok. Think he struggles with the bigger tracks, been doing alright in the NL, number 1 for the Brummies at present I believe. Could've done with him at Edinburgh and Newcastle over the weekend, but he knows what's best for him I suppose!

Don't get me wrong Dandelion I've no problem with foreigners who are good enough but it just makes sense from a cost angle to invest in Brits like the Poles do with there youngsters. However totally agree with you that it can be a dangerous precedent using kids who are not ready. From a confidence angle and a safety angle. Btw never used the quote "dirty" foreigners, not in my vocabulary

No no, I know what you mean, from a cost point of view it makes the most sense :P But from an entertainment point of view... I want to see the best 4 riders possible for each race, regardless if they're Ugandan, Bosnian or British... Would rather we have the best leagues in the world with lots of entertaining riders and teams than a lot of British riders for the world cup team/grand prixs, because that, other than just looking after your own riders, is the only reason to be developing Brits... Anyway, that's just my opinion :P And I wasn't directing "dirty" foreigners at you, but plenty of people have said it to me in the past (not on here) so it's just something I've come to live with and joke about xD And I was just making the point that I might have a different opinion because I'm not British :)

• Like 2

Branford and Howarth took his bikes out after Thursdays meeting, they looked ok. Think he struggles with the bigger tracks, been doing alright in the NL, number 1 for the Brummies at present I believe. Could've done with him at Edinburgh and Newcastle over the weekend, but he knows what's best for him I suppose!

He looked good at Sheffield in the under 21 match last season, dont think its the track, think it is equipment

Home to Ipswich SGBCL on Sunday 10th September at 5.30.

Thanks for the info. As much advance warning re any home match is appreciated. Was intending going to Scunny on this date.

Hi all see the rain should have past over Sheffield by 12 tomorrow I was planning on traveling down.any chance someone give a weather update around 3pm thanks

Are Sheffield any closer to bringing in a replacement for Jack Parkinson-Blackburn?

Are Sheffield any closer to bringing in a replacement for Jack Parkinson-Blackburn?

Says in this weeks speedway star that we're looking to bring in James Shanes. Just depends on how many dates he'd miss with his Poole and grasstrack commitments.

Says in this weeks speedway star that we're looking to bring in James Shanes. Just depends on how many dates he'd miss with his Poole and grasstrack commitments.

Good luck with that , at the last count when the Witches tried it was something like 10 + like meetings . Big plus if they manage to pull it off . Think most clubs in the league have tried at some point this season .