British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

Great gesture to make the first meeting free.. well done

Be interesting to see how they make it work to underpin a successful season..

Too often these 'freebies' don't deliver the cut through all season long as not enough is done on the night to entice 'newbies', those who 'used to go' and 'non regulars' back..

As often has been mentioned on here, phone numbers, names, addresses, emails etc need to be taken to keep communication with the (hopefully) thousands who will attend...

Might also be worth selling 'next match' tickets on the night too at a tenner a time? Getting people to repeat their visit and get into the 'Speedway habit'..?

If that works, then do the same every week going forward. Buy in front for a tenner or usual admission if you pay on the night...

The only downside to a 'freebie' is often that those who attend fail to see the full price admission the next week as 'reasonable' for what they have just watched so attend no more...

Surely it's better for finances to get someone attending two or three times for a tenner a night rather than never attend at all at circa £17?

Hope it proves a great success for Sheffield. Great credit to the promotion for trying something to boost attendances...

Edited by mikebv

Be interesting to see how they make it work to underpin a successful season..

Too often these 'freebies' don't deliver the cut through all season long as not enough is done on the night to entice 'newbies', those who 'used to go' and 'non regulars' back..

As often has been mentioned on here, phone numbers, names, addresses, emails etc need to be taken to keep communication with the (hopefully) thousands who will attend...

Might also be worth selling 'next match' tickets on the night too at a tenner a time? Getting people to repeat their visit and get into the 'Speedway habit'..?

If that works, then do the same every week going forward. Buy in front for a tenner or usual admission if you pay on the night...

The only downside to a 'freebie' is often that those who attend fail to see the full price admission the next week as 'reasonable' for what they have just watched so attend no more...

Surely it's better for finances to get someone attending two or three times for a tenner a night rather than never attend at all at circa £17?

Hope it proves a great success for Sheffield. Great credit to the promotion for trying something to boost attendances...

There will be vouchers in the programme for money off the next meeting.

• Like 2

It's people like Damian Bates who need to have more input in how speedway is run, a bit of forward thinking. Trying different thing's to get people through the turnstiles, and promote the great family sport that speedway is.

• Like 3

Q and A session tonight, main information to come out from the session.

Kyle Howarth to be the captain of the team for 2017.

On the rider doubling up situation it would appear that Sheffield have the priority over all the riders doubling up with the exception of Josh Grajczonek, and it would appear that the only fixtures he will miss will be meetings at Edinburgh.

Sheffield to follow the blueprint that Glasgow run meetings not entirely sure what that means maybe some from Glasgow can maybe elaborate.

Riding orders not yet decided.

And the big one is that for the first match of the season the challenge match against Somerset, entry will be free to everyone.

Our owners see the day as entertaining as soon as you arrive at the turnstiles with Roary meeting and greeting the youngsters, the day is all about keeping you interested in certain aspects during breaks in the racing and the interval usually after heat 10

They set out to attract more kids and give them various activities to partake in and to keep them from getting bored this they see as the future off the club and it is certainly working with the levels off kids attending increasing dramatically.

We have the speedway Museum as soon as you enter mostly about Glasgow with a bar selling food and drinks very reasonably priced and also the track shop you can wander around

All in all they are a very pro-active promotion and have put there heart and soul into the club there promoting off the club is second to none and it is all about entertaining the paying customer . This season will see new lighting due to the race night change and a large screen being installed to allow spectators to view situated on the 1st & 2nd bends.

If your promotion are copying our blueprint they could do a lot worse as they also seem to be a very forward thinking promotion,

There has also been negatives most notably the tractor grading fiasco but the important thing that they do is listen good or bad and act on it.

To summarise the entertainment levels on various aspects have increased gradually to keep the customer entertained and the focus is on the product they provide , they have very high standards in every aspect off there operations and it is progressing year on year they have set a very high bar for others to follow and it is very refreshing that the Sheffield promotion have seen this and have decided to copy.

I am sure that they have been in contact with Glasgow and i wish you as much success as we are seeing.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 3

I got the impression that the 'Glasgow' blueprint was in relation to the timing of races. It sounded like he was saying that they have heat 1 at 7.30, 2 at 7.35, 3 at 7.40 etc to ensure (baring accidents) that the meeting runs smoothly with sufficient time I imagine for bog breaks between races, but without the meeting being allowed to drag on. A bit like the dogs with timetabled races.

I may well have got this completely wrong as I couldn't hear all that was said!!

I got the impression that the 'Glasgow' blueprint was in relation to the timing of races. It sounded like he was saying that they have heat 1 at 7.30, 2 at 7.35, 3 at 7.40 etc to ensure (baring accidents) that the meeting runs smoothly with sufficient time I imagine for bog breaks between races, but without the meeting being allowed to drag on. A bit like the dogs with timetabled races.

I may well have got this completely wrong as I couldn't hear all that was said!!

Thats how I read it as well Cue Ball. Parade, Heats, Track grades and Interval to be more structured (barring accidents)

I see Machin has been appointed as a co-promoter at Leicester... for a man that had enough of promoting when he left Sheffield, he seems to have done a lot of it since he left!! Glad to see it to be honest, the man has a lot of experience to offer to other people that have the energy to put it to practice

• Like 2

STAARS - Thursday 9th March 2017

All Tigers Fans,

The next and final of the monthly STAARS gatherings this closed season will be next Thursday 9th March 2017 at the New Barrack Tavern Pub on Penistone Road, Sheffield (0.5 mile south of Owlerton Stadium) from 7:30pm.

As always it's a chance for Tigers fans, riders and management to catch up, have a chat and a few drinks from the NBT's excellent selection and hear any news/updates from the club during the silly season.

All are welcome !!!

On the rider doubling up situation it would appear that Sheffield have the priority over all the riders doubling up with the exception of Josh Grajczonek, and it would appear that the only fixtures he will miss will be meetings at Edinburgh.

Sheffield to follow the blueprint that Glasgow run meetings not entirely sure what that means maybe some from Glasgow can maybe elaborate.

And the big one is that for the first match of the season the challenge match against Somerset, entry will be free to everyone.

An astute move to make Kyle captain. He responded well to the call for leadership in last season's play-offs and is maturing into a fine rider. I would guess he'll finish this season with an 8.5 average. I like the cut of his jib. He could become one of Sheffield's all-time greats if he gets a good run in the team.

• Like 1

An astute move to make Kyle captain. He responded well to the call for leadership in last season's play-offs and is maturing into a fine rider. I would guess he'll finish this season with an 8.5 average. I like the cut of his jib. He could become one of Sheffield's all-time greats if he gets a good run in the team.

Have to agree after lsitening to him talk at the recent forum, very articulate and spoke well as well as talking a lot of common sense.

Very nice of the promotion to offer free admission to the first match celebrating my 50th season watching speedway

Thank You

PS very good gesture

Edited by The Third Man

Great gesture from Damien bates I hope it works for him and we can get a few new fans.The days of putting posters up etc is old fashioned and the promotors have got to move with the time.Social media has got to be the way forward .Offers of 2 meetings for £20 in school holidays with kids free or something in that direction.Use groupon and such like to promote offers.Ideal world would be to get the G.P.Promotors involved to drag league racing into a new era.New fans don't want the meetings dragging on all night so the promotors and refs should work together to keep it rolling.Some refs make an effort but not all.The fans also need a complete fixture list not the occasional week with out a meeting.Its easy for people to get out of the habit of going when theres other attractions as we have in Sheffield .

• Like 1