British Speedway Forum
kingbee

What Would You Like From The Agm

For me it's frightening they all want the elite league even weaker. Says it all about the state of this sport in this country.

What would frighten you is the bank balances of the promoters. They can't afford to pay for what they have, let alone try and entice more top riders over here.

How do they make it stronger?

The frightening thing for me is that some people think clubs should all switch to ridiculous midweek race nights in a bid to strengthen. I want to be at Brandon on a Friday or Saturday.

• Like 2

A good start would be the BSPA actually understanding the rules they pass instead of coming back afterwards, as some did this year saying they didn't understand the heatleader list, or getting halfway through the season and saying they got the EDR set up wrong.

Edited for accuracy !

I heard that myself and thought what idiots they were to admit to that. We the fans want all the rules and decisions to be transparent, but its quite obvious that the members of the BSPA don't want the fans to knew of their behaviour and who suggested some of these stupid rules.

While the BSPA think of the fans as 'them and us' we will never move forward. The only way for the sport to prosper is to have clear ideas, set in stone and everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.......

• Like 1

Comments from Chris Morton in Wednesdays programme.

(quote)We'll have to wait to see what happens at the annual meeting because there has been talk about alterations to the structure of the league which i am not allowed to discuss.

(quote)Yes we may have to deconstruct the team a bit to suit a new system.

Food for thought should be a very interesting AGM.

Comments from Chris Morton in Wednesdays programme.

(quote)We'll have to wait to see what happens at the annual meeting because there has been talk about alterations to the structure of the league which i am not allowed to discuss.

(quote)Yes we may have to deconstruct the team a bit to suit a new system.

Food for thought should be a very interesting AGM.

So, that means losing Zagar and Frocks, promote the 2 second strings to those positions, EDR'S move to second strings and have 1 New young British (under 21) and one under 21 foreigner!!

So, that means losing Zagar and Frocks, promote the 2 second strings to those positions, EDR'S move to second strings and have 1 New young British (under 21) and one under 21 foreigner!!

They've been trying to keep the cross dressing quiet. Apparently it was part of Zagar's contract. :lol:

• Like 3

Reduce the strength of the EL to PL level so that we can have 2 leagues and have promotion and relegation.

There needs to be fresh interest and better competition so a season can be interesting for all clubs not just the strong playoff contenders.

The Matt Ford strategy would produce imo too much controversy with teams bringing in a certain rider just for a particular match.

Buster's comments at the fans forum in Torun last weekend (as reported in the Speedway Star) suggest 'a further step backwards before moving forward' as part of (another) new 5-year plan!!

He admitted there had to be many changes but 'rather like Rome, everything couldn't be built in a day'!

With the 5 year plan, the 'trick' - and not a simple one - is to persuade a consensus of fellow promoters on board.

'The last General Council meeting, apparantly, was not aparticularly pleasant affair and harmony was not a word that anyone present would likely use to describe it'!

'Some want to see Elite League racing on two set nights, Monday and Wednesday, others especially those not in total control of their stadiums, say that isn't practical.'

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Broxbourne.

Reading Philip Rising's 'Point of View' in the SS yesterday didn't fill me with a lot optimisium. He was right in what he said about the sport and the dire situation it is in, but the part, when referring to comments from some promoters left a bad taste in one mouth. Thinking the promoters all wanted the sport to change for the better, they would be in aggreence for a new beginning, but apparently not. It seems there is little that they agree on...... They must be blind or stupid not to see the poor state the sport is in.

If it were possible to have the minutes of these meeting made public, then the fans would see and proportion blame to some of the ridiculous ideas, instead of hiding behind the door of secrecy....

I thought Buster would be the man to sort the mess out, but reading and listening to stuff I've heard, I have my doubts......

I thought Buster would be the man to sort the mess out, but reading and listening to stuff I've heard, I have my doubts......

I thought the same when Buster was appointed but he seems to be clueless on how to entertain his own supporter's in recent seasons how the hell is he likely to fix the whole of British Speedway?

Just thinking out loud, knowing his character it wouldn't surprise me if he quits as chairman come the end of the AGM.

Every AGM is 'the most important ever for the sport' etc etc etc..

The truth is that this one will be the same as every other over the past 15 years..

ie. Akin to applying two stripping plasters onto someone whose leg has been cut off to stem the flow of blood..

Not sure about the biscuits this year but, as always, there will be plenty of fudge...

Phrases like "we need to wake up and smell the coffee", or, "we need to radically change our current operating model as its simply not fit for purpose" and even, "we need to run this sport with sporting integrity if it's to be seen as 'professional' and not 'mickey mouse' to it's own fan base and the wider sporting public" will I am sure be conspicuous by their absence. (Once again)...

"I've rearranged vem deckchairs Mr Captain like yer rekwestid bat ver boat iz stiww goin' darn Sir! Shall we jast jamp ferrit?"...

"Oh no my lad, no need to be so radical, we don't want our customers being aware of what the situation is. We'll do as we always do and simply get the band to play their version of "The Best Of The Seventies, KTel Remix. That always keeps any restless patrons entertained"😀

Edited by mikebv

Promoters to stop taking the fans fro granted before speedway dies completely.

The way most matches are "select" sides with the number of non injury related guests is killing speedway..

Here is my radical idea for 2017, and it presumes we remain with an Elite League of 8 and a PL of 13.

All teams are built to PL standards, or a slightly higher number if the PL teams are comfortable with it. Each Elite League team nominates one "designated" rider in addition. For example, Wolves may nominate Tai Woffinden etc.

All teams in both divisions ride all other teams in both leagues, home and away. This gives 20 home and 20 away meetings.

For each meeting between two EL teams, the teams may replace any rider from their team with their designated rider. So again using Wolves as an example, versus Poole they would replace Clegg with Woffinden.

This system would allow the spectators to get their weekly speedway fix, and allow the riders who want to keep busy 40 league meetings a year. It would also allow the "superstars" to ride a 14 meeting season which would allow more of them to commit to the UK.

I don't know how practical it is, but I think it is an interesting concept. I also think that this format would bring a workable promotion and relegation system closer.

This could be an interesting concept but a problem being the number of riders that double up so bringing in the new 6 man teams.

EL v EL teams can claim 2 guests/Top riders not in any ones team to boost their status. Normal teams have combined CMA of 38. This rises to 42 for EL clashes.

NO PL guests allowed but for injuries, R/R or NL riders used on converted CMA. A NL guest can only ride up to 3 times for a team.

No way those things would come true anytime mate... I have more chance of riding next years Grand national winner than winning the euromillions. And as I said, people have far more to do nowadays. Unless you reduce the admission charge down to a tenner. Speedway costs a lot of money to put on, that's without the big boys.. So that ain't going to happen either...

At poole we do plenty of promoting the sport and we get the biggest crowds in the EL by a mile we also have a lot of very good sponsors that put a lot of money into the club, we also have two premier league football clubs in a 30 ml radius. AFC Bournemouth and that lot 20ml further up the road.

This is a fallacy that Clubs have to be in big cities, Brum struggle and without the over 50,s they wouldnt exist, London doesnt really have a Team.. the problem is there is much more competition for young peoples time and money.. I dont go to Poole so dont know who actually makes up there attendances, So far as Im aware Somerset are one of the best supported PL Teams, not much else to do around Bridgewater... What is there to do around Poole on an evening ? Go to Poole Park, Take a walk along Holes Bay, Shops such as they are pretty much close at 6-00pm, I dont even know if there is a Beach at Poole...so that pretty much gives Poole Speedway little or no competition for the leisure £20... but when the NL venture failed i must admit i was a little surprised that it didnt come off.

What I'd like: EL to go fixed race nights, single round per the swddish/polish model, ideally with 10 teams. Sides also able to put out a pl team as well.

El to take precedence on riders on those fixed race nights.

Minimum 3 brits per team in El, one must be u23. PL minimum 4 brits, Inc two reserves one must be u21 one underc23.

Adopt SCB converted averages, with published list of converted foreign league averages for those that fid not race in uk in 16.

Redeclarations must be done under point limit.

Revert to a conventional race format - suggest the old bl format used in 90 which was the classic 13 heats plus extra reserve race and nominated heat 15.

Brits allowed to enter SEC.

• Like 1