British Speedway Forum

Whatever the Sky deal is, it is irrelevant financially. Rugby League, Darts and Speedway all changed in 1995 with the introduction of Sky Sports. Rugby League has gone from strength to Strength because of the restructuring it has made in conjunction with Sky television. Darts crowds now outnumber speedway fans at meetings due to the restructuring it made in conjunction with Sky television. Over that period speedway has stagnated because the sport has constantly refused to restructure the sport in a way that would create a vibrant sport with ten times the number of fans it has today. Speedway fans have not helped as they are resistant to change but as in RL and Darts the changes need to be made in order to create new fans, not solely to retain the ever decreasing fans that currently go to speedway in Britain.

Now now, don't go writing common sense on here, although it sums up the issues perfectly, you can't go expecting those in power to take notice.

• Like 1

Whatever the Sky deal is, it is irrelevant financially. Rugby League, Darts and Speedway all changed in 1995 with the introduction of Sky Sports. Rugby League has gone from strength to Strength because of the restructuring it has made in conjunction with Sky television. Darts crowds now outnumber speedway fans at meetings due to the restructuring it made in conjunction with Sky television. Over that period speedway has stagnated because the sport has constantly refused to restructure the sport in a way that would create a vibrant sport with ten times the number of fans it has today. Speedway fans have not helped as they are resistant to change but as in RL and Darts the changes need to be made in order to create new fans, not solely to retain the ever decreasing fans that currently go to speedway in Britain.

How would they've done that? Is league darts on every week? I know nothing about RL, what changes have they made to get more fans?

I know nothing about RL, what changes have they made to get more fans?

Moved from a winter season to a summer season,improved the standard of facilities at many grounds/stadiums and have a Magic Weekend at a chosen venue when all Super League teams participate on a Saturday and Sunday in May. ;)

But you never know the moto gp and superbike fans may just be interested in speedway. By the way I'm a huge superbike and moto gp fan, just as much as speedway.

Funnily enough I've now gotten into MotoGP since SGP's switch to BT.

Sure it's working both ways.

Is league darts on every week?

This is how often PDC Darts is shown Live:

http://www.pdc.tv/tournament-calendar16

Don't really follow Darts or Rugby but now often hear it mentioned via various sport news broadcasts, TV & Radio. I do think the BSPA have missed an opportunity with Sky coverage (understand they don't have a Hearn, no one would be that daft). It started so well with Sky meetings creating increased local interest to its 'on TV I'll watch it at home'. So what went wrong in-between? That 'fast forward' button has a lot answer for.

Doubt though these other successful sports have such strong conflict from more lucrative Country temptations. They are 3 completely different sports. I'm amazed Sky have stuck with it - they do a good job flogging the dying horse. I wouldn't want to lose it.

With the other sports mentioned, do their fans stay at home when it's on tv? No. So why do speedway fans? if already speedway fans stay at home, why would any person not a fan go and watch?

I've never understood why when on sky all the fans don't stand together in the same place, it may then look like some people go, instead of people sitting at home thinking, no one goes, so it can't be that great.

Why do fans sit at home when it's on telly? Because unlike other sports most of the stadiums are s**t holes and so it's easier to stay at home and watch rather than have to make the effort to stand on a terrace open to the wind and cold, that and the fact the product is overpriced so why pay to leave the house knowing your attendance won't make any difference because sky are subsidising the fact many stay at home anyway, plus Sky TV always hold its meetings on a weeknight so the majority have to be up early the next day, especially those with children, also don't forget petrol costs, if you support certain clubs the only way to get to the track is by car and for a track like Arena Essex I would guess most live more than a 30 mins drive away.

• Like 1

Why do fans sit at home when it's on telly? Because unlike other sports most of the stadiums are s**t holes and so it's easier to stay at home and watch rather than have to make the effort to stand on a terrace open to the wind and cold, that and the fact the product is overpriced so why pay to leave the house knowing your attendance won't make any difference because sky are subsidising the fact many stay at home anyway, plus Sky TV always hold its meetings on a weeknight so the majority have to be up early the next day, especially those with children, also don't forget petrol costs, if you support certain clubs the only way to get to the track is by car and for a track like Arena Essex I would guess most live more than a 30 mins drive away.

Because people from Glasgow who watch meetings on TV live miles away from Poole?

I would like to see more premier league matches

Agreed, have there even been any on Sky this season? If there have, I haven't been aware.....little or no advertising

Comparing Speedway to ANY other sport is madness.

I can't recall an occasion where Michael Van Gerwen couldn't play darts on Monday in Dublin as he's playing for his Polish club and they pay him a lot more money.

Or St Helens suffering an injury to their main player so bring in his equivalent from Wigan for a few games or even sometimes just go to a player from another country all together and bring him in.

Our sport is unique, and not in a good way.

• Like 1

Liecster built a new purpose built stadium. And a nice great little stadium it is too. Very nice clean toilets and a grat stadium to watch the racing from, shame about the track and the rubbish teams they have been putting together since they joined the Elite League.

It was far better when they where in the Premier League, at least they put together far better teams than they hva now. Plus the fans have been walking away in droves, but the powers that be can't see why and all they do is complain about fans not turning up to watch. I go with my grandson and we have a 30 mile each way journey with the £28 plus a programme and a couple of £1 raffle tickets, and on top of that the cost of diesel I am looking at £60 for a rubbish night out, not been this year, they have ateam that would have really struggled to compete in the Premier League.It now looks like the whole thing has gone belly flop, I just hope we don't lose the sport in the city again, there is talk of new management for next year but it has all gone quite again on that front.

How any one can let a stadium like that not work other than shear blind stupidity on David Hemsley's part who would not listen to what any one told him and let things get to the point they are now is a shear disgrace.

Having watched Rugby League since a child taken their by Dad, the changes up to today are reduced crowd levels by 80%.

Yes Sky has come in and been indirectly responsible for promoting and decimating the game.

What was a traditional winter sport is now a summer one so when no football on TV they get the Rugby to keep viewing figures but more than 50% of Amateur teams have gone since Sky started to cover it.

Very few new fans go to Rugby League, look at the attendances for this years Challenge Cup Final and The Grand Final semi finals.

Please if you post know the reality of the game, it is faster, looks good, but reality the world of Rugby League is not so rosy only a lot of fly by night gimmicks for a short term cash gain. SKY

• Like 1

Since Sky sports came along nearly every sport has seen a decline in people supporting them. Much less people go to the grounds now than they did for all sports going back 30/40/50/60 years