British Speedway Forum

Team GBs performance aside , it was actually a great meeting to,watch with some terrific racing . I never expected us to be up there challenging for the gold but I did think we'd perform better than we did , Cook & Lambert must be very disappointed with their own performances last night both of them never looked like even being able to compete . Well done to Poland on a deserved victory, as for us we're a long way behind and by the time we reach where Poland , Russia and the others are they'll have moved on .

What Team GB also need is a series of tutorials with Jason Doyle as to why he now believes fully in himself and what steps he took to make the step up that Lambert and Cook must do ( not too late for Cook if he gets on with it ) and it is essential for Lambert that he learns from the best. He really can make that step up to world class. Hopefully JD knows what it took for him AND is able to pass on the key elements of it ( that would still need to be adapted for each individual rider's style and personality )

no thanks .we dont need any lessons on how to be a bully and a bigheaded mardy arse , we need lessons form the Poles of how bully the likes of Doyle back ,but keep out of the hospital unlike him

Seldom have I read such common ground in a thread. We may have our minor differences but the overwhelming feeling is of disappointment and shame, about the organisation and preparation for this event. Hopefully it is a wake up call to the powers that be.

don't count me in your common ground , we have chucked far too many resources training journeymen Aussies and other assorted foreigners , instead of concentrating on our own lads , I'm not 1 bit dissapointed that lads who have made it to their level against the odds couldn't hack it against teams and fans whose country actually support its own riders in preference to foreigners

• Like 2

And what? Russians and Latvians are damn near the same country. All the Latvians speak Russian, many consider themselves Russian. Of course they'd collude. Slavic blood brothers. No big deal.

Utter rubbish. Ethnic Latvians are not even Slavic.

The average Latvian has no love for the Russians at all, who they consider invaded and occupied their country. The difference in speedway is that Daugavpils is a largely Russian city.

• Like 5

Team GB, guys are sitting on the fuel tank when exiting bends. Funny to read that "poles got better engines". Poles and top swedes, russians are just brave hitting bends hanging at the rear of the seat in straight lines accelerating until the very end before hitting sideways. Very aggressive technique to enter bends. Mentally very tough, cant have any doubts.

• Like 1

The whole GB performance is down to the league set up .

We now have 2 leagues of virtually the same strength , riders DU /DD what do you expect .

All of them last night ride in both leagues , be fair in the Championship the lower ends are a bit weaker therefore easy points for these riders.

No matter what Messrs Pearson & Tatum may say we do not have a single GB rider competing in our leagues who is good enough to compete in th GP circus.

We have to allow the top league to build sides with a higher limit. The DU/DD must stop. The only way to give the riders extra rides is to go back to 13 heats & bring back 2nd halves.

After watching last night is it not clear that the reason our riders do not ride in the Polish top leagues is that they are not good enough.

When Robert Lambert came on the scene he was touted as a potential world beater , be fair not in the same class as the young poles.

Lebedevs was discarded by Kings Lynn , over the past week are there any Lynn riders who could match him

Lastly well done to Chris Harris & Steve Worrall who at least competed.

• Like 2

no thanks .we dont need any lessons on how to be a bully and a bigheaded mardy arse , we need lessons form the Poles of how bully the likes of Doyle back ,but keep out of the hospital unlike him

don't count me in your common ground , we have chucked far too many resources training journeymen Aussies and other assorted foreigners , instead of concentrating on our own lads , I'm not 1 bit dissapointed that lads who have made it to their level against the odds couldn't hack it against teams and fans whose country actually support its own riders in preference to foreigners

Total crap where is this Bully boy rubbish coming from i see Doyle as just a commited rider no more than that.We will see at the end of the season when he is at least on the rostrum and he will more and likely will be No 1 he deserves it after last year.
  • Like 2

The Poles are likely to dominate the World Cup for a number of years.

Sweden have 3 very experienced riders who are ageing..... no signs of young Swedish riders coming through that may compete at the hoghest level.

Denmark have good young riders but nobody who looks likely to dominate in the SGP.

Team GB have riders who have very limited European experience apart from Chris Harris.

Speedybee wrote " don't count me in your common ground , we have chucked far too many resources training journeymen Aussies and other assorted foreigners , instead of concentrating on our own lads , I'm not 1 bit dissapointed that lads who have made it to their level against the odds couldn't hack it against teams and fans whose country actually support its own riders in preference to foreigners "

Doesn't that count as a failure of organisation and preparation?

No. IMHO you're fifth behind Russia and Latvia

And speedway whatsoever,

Simply because I KNOW SPEEDWAY as opposite to you. All speedway fans know that the top in speedway are: Poland, Australia, Denmark, Sweden and Russia.

Then GB.

Not sure maths is your strong point then.

Guest Scunny2012

Leszno's track is 330 meters. Belle Vue is 347 meters and Kings Lynn is 342 meters. Regarding KL it's fair to say it does not have wide sweeping bends like Leszno but, Belle Vue is the closest to any of the big Polish Tracks. Cook and Worral both ride Belle Vue. Lambert KL whereas Bomber has been a round long enough to have had the experience of riding all over Europe.

To ride Belle Vue would require no more technical skill or sheer speed than Leszno as both are very similar as in lots of different lines and speed. KL slightly different but, imo I don't think the poles would have too much trouble adapting. As for technical skills are you suggesting the GB boys are superior to the Poles?

I also saw the great teams England had from the 70's and I agree everything goes round. So how long do you think before Team GB are back on top?

A very long time before GB riders are back on top, they seem to reach a certain standard, Woffinden apart and stay there, the worrying part is that Poland could have put out 3 different teams and won it as they didn't even have their Polish champion Wozniak and runner up the other Pawlicki + Hampel, Kaspazack etc etc so yes a long time before we ever see the golden years of the 70's

ps a good start would be different manager than Rossiter.

The young Poles grow up riding against the absolute very best that the rest of the World has to offer every single week.

(With the very best that the rest of the World has to offer 100% fully committed due to the need to keep their salary levels)...

They also grow up in a League where nothing but being successful maintains your position in your team.

Never mind a bad meeting, two bad races can see you out of the team and replaced by an equally hungry and talented replacement...

These lads can earn hundreds of thousands of euro at a very young age riding for just one team, not two, three, four, five etc...

But with that money comes enormous expectation from tens of thousands of passionate club fans and huge pressure to succeed from their paymasters...

Growing up and being exposed to such extremes means they simply have to learn to handle this pressure, or be replaced.

This then has the knock on effect that when it comes to racing against the same World Class talent at GP and SWC level they know they have the beating of them...

It's no surprise to see Latvia and Russia also do well as these countries riders invariably are 'Poland based', and also develop their riding in the same tracks under the same pressures from their Polish clubs. ..

Team GB racing against Poland (in Poland) is akin to the best team in League One of the Football Championship, after spending a season dominating domestically at their level, going directly to the European Champions League Final and taking on Real Madrid in the Bernabeu...

Simply those Polish lads are used to competing against the very, very best each week..

Our lads race in the main against a far lower standard and need to be tested far more to bridge the obvious gap...

Giving '110%', as our lads no doubt did last night, can only get you so far.

If this Country is serious about reaching the top step then there has to be a development plan for the riders driven by the governing body. That is the only way to see them reach the true top level of the Sport. ..

Edited by mikebv

Another good meeting and as far as watching speedway riders go I enjoyed it.

Was their a difference between the track prep from Friday to Saturday? Its just that all the Russians were more into it on Friday - Emil 15, Cug Cug 11 etc, but they didnt seem to have the same "go" in them - tiredness maybe. Friday Chugunov was gating well, so was Emil, but Saturday..... Yes I know the opposition was better quality on Saturday, but still Russia lacking.

Team GB (yes I like the name) was not fully prepared for that meeting IMO. Perhaps one of the negatives of going straight to the final thus lack of track knowledge. Poor management from the top of British speedway, they all want sacking. How on earth does any country expect its young riders to get to the top of the international scene without experience of riding international circuits with other riders from various countries.

Chris Harris tried as hard as ever does, but we know he coming to an end of his international career, but 10 out of 10 for his whole souled efforts.

Stevie Worrel came good at the end. He really did take a bite of the cherry and gave it all he got and he deserves a BIG pat on the back, mixing it with top world class riders. Those races will stand him well for the future - and like he said "thats the best race that I have finished last". Yes, deserved more then 0 points, should have been 2.

Cookie and Robert, not on it at all sadly. Cookie in his last race off 4 took the high line on bend 1-2, like others had, but didnt seem to know what to do with it and lost ground, unlike other riders getting an advantage from it. Put it all down to lack of experience.

What goes round comes round. Poles are ruling the roost at the moment, but it wont last forever, but if its Team GB that does the challenging then there has to be a massive change in attitude at the very top of British speedway is required and it is required NOW

How many years will Cook have to ride to get the"expieriance " he been telling us for years he was a late starter thought he would have like that track given shape and size.

Something fundamentally wrong with the sport in this country and we simply have nobody yet coming through then can challenge.

Our best rider doesnt ride for us.........something not right from both sides but i can totallly understand Tai's frustrations trying to help a sport and his country that doesnt want to help itself.

Rosco is fine as Team boss. Who else could he have chosen? Lets be fair it could be worse we could have Middlo doing it again and seeing the likes of Kennett back in. How anyone can blame the manager for this is laughable.

Last year we came second because we had our best rider in the team.....he isnt now so we came 4th. Im pretty sure the Danes would have liked the chance to ride last night.

A very long time before GB riders are back on top, they seem to reach a certain standard, Woffinden apart and stay there, the worrying part is that Poland could have put out 3 different teams and won it as they didn't even have their Polish champion Wozniak and runner up the other Pawlicki + Hampel, Kaspazack etc etc so yes a long time before we ever see the golden years of the 70's

ps a good start would be different manager than Rossiter.

I agree with all that you say, and don't really see where Alun Rossiter can go from here. Having said that, he wasn't riding the bike(s), and I can't think of anyway that he could have put a stronger Great Britain side out. As a country, we are not good enough, and it's time we all accepted it, and just enjoy the sport for what it is.

Brits need more rides in Poland, it's that simple. Anywhere else in Europe and i would be confident that we would've got 3rd. Worrall seemed to get his set up right at the end, we need to understand why Lambert and Cook struggled with set up. Cook has shown in the GP qualifiers this season he can mix it with the best elsewhere. A learning curve.

• Like 1