British Speedway Forum

The Woffinden signing was the reason for making the end of July the deadline for changes not for changing the rules to prevent replacing an injured rider.

However, as I've said, the rules are what they are and unless the BSPA use their discretion to allow a change in the best interests of the sport we shall just get on with it as we did in 2005. Hopefully, this time with a better result.

And may be Lindback to a lesser degree.I can understand why they made the change.It's the same for all.And the discretion bit is the bit open to manipulation...Having said that broken bones showing in xrays is pretty concrete proof of a genuine injury.Other lesser injuries,like soft tissue etc are harder to prove.I feel for the BV fans on this one,but it's where you draw the discretionary line is the problem imho.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

Kylmakorpi injured , Wolves draft in the World Champion

H.Andersen injured , Poole draft in Grand Prix regular

Yet Belle Vue are not allowed a replacement ,not even a guest ! .

i know its 'the rules'

But is it any wonder Aces fans feel hard done by ?

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 1

Kylmakorpi injured , Wolves draft in the World Champion

H.Andersen injured , Poole draft in Grand Prix regular

Yet Belle Vue are not allowed a replacement ,not even a guest ! .

i know its 'the rules'

But is it any wonder Aces fans feel hard done by ?

Some say, Rules are Rules and must be obeyed.

The more enlightened say Rules are Rules and the spirit of the Rules should be adhered to.

Normal speedway fans ..moan about a rule then when it's changed moan about it again. . Not sure why Belle Vue feel hard done by .

• Like 1

Rules are rules but somehow they always appear to impact on BV in a negative manner.

Not sure why you are quoting Lindback. He was bought in as cover for Andersen who had a season ending hand injury caused coincidentally by one Max Fricke at Leicester.

Think you should use the Wolverhampton/Woffinden swap as the example. Brought in to replace Kylmakorpi with the sole purpose of strengthening before the playoffs. That is the very reason the rules were changed. Not Lindback for an injured rider.

If you want to go toe for toe in respect of examples then fair enough. It was open to debate, you know it, I know it and so does this whole forum.

Let's not make poole an innocent party last season.

Woffinden annoyed me the same but for different reasons.

There is a simple reality here. Club's abuse a rule to get a head start. As a consequence another rule has been made to stop such bullrubbish.

Unfortunately, belle vue have been the first to suffer. The one team that never broke it in the first place!!

Considering Andersen never rode again last season bar one aborted effort, it is safe to assume that Lindback coming in was a genuine injury replacement.

Woffinden on the other hand was Wolves strengthening up for the playoffs and the sole reason the rules were changed in the winter.

Stop playing innocence. Poole are the worst, and the known, culprits.

I don't agree with what wolves did, but it was within the rules.

Poole have been pulling these stunts for season's upon season's.

• Like 2

Some say, Rules are Rules and must be obeyed.

The more enlightened say Rules are Rules and the spirit of the Rules should be adhered to.

OK. Whatcwould you say is the "spirit" of removing the ability to make an injury replacement after the deadline? And how does that differ from the actual rule.

Fans moan about too many guests so BSPA responded by reducing the scenarios in which a guest can be used. And fans whinge.

Fans whinge about the year end changes last year. BSPA prevent such changes. Fans whinge.

Aces fan and it sucks Fricke is injured, but the rules are the same for all and should be adhered to so let's stop whinging and just get on with it.

Swindon are in a worse situation as we cannot have rr for an injured reserve, and the fact that our reserve was scoring above his official average and improving each meeting.

In fact he has been improving just like Dan Bewley has, in fact both riders look to be good prospects for the future.

I'd say both are equal blows. Zach is less easily covered but that impacts only rides per meeting.

The new rule doesn't really hinder swindon, as ability to get a permanent replacement would be as limiting as getting guests.

For Fricke a permant replacement may have been better than rr.

• Like 1

Lets look on the bright side its five and a half weeks till the play offs start and if things go well for Max he may be back by then fingers crossed for him.Unless a lower order team has a great run we seem to have done enough already be in the play offs.

Plus with the team we have this new signing R/R should score enough points at home at least to win a good few more matches to easily keep us in the top four.

So its far from over yet folks. :t:

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

If a team loses two riders through injury I assume they get guest plus rr ???

Yes, as we will at Somerset on Friday, although Bjerre's absence then is due to the Danish championships.

Edited by Aces51

I thought the unusual suspects had moved on from taking the piss when a seriously injured rider is involved? The post may be a genuine mistake, and you missed it in your haste to take the piss again, but Fricke has broken his neck.

You two were all over it like a particularly nasty rash when Zagar had his haematoma injury a couple of years ago and now Fricke has broken his neck you're both back poking again. Maybe you've just got an issue with Belle Vue?

It's bad enough posting the comments in the first place, as I said it may have been a genuine mistake, but to read it and then actually like what you read is ghoulish behaviour in the extreme. It is to be expected but please try and consider that, and I've said this before, the injured speedway rider is real and not the sick fantasy horror you get off on.

Orion was remarking on the rule and BV fans' attitude to it, not the injury.

• Like 1

Are you his carer or something?

If Fricke hadn't broken his neck there would be no 'attitude', surprised you can't see the connection especially as onion has form for taking the piss when seriously injured Belle Vue riders are involved.

No, not his carer, and not a hot head either.

• Like 1

The one thing people seem to be missing is that this season's rule changes were made before the TV arrangement with BT Sport was finalised!! This gives the BSPA plenty of scope to announce changes to the rule 'due to pressure from BT' in time for the play-offs - especially if BSPA want BT to continue in future seasons.

Maybe once the 4 play-off teams are confirmed, a sensible, fair-to-all rule change could be made - but only if Kings Lynn aren't the 4th team (with Buster carrying more weight as Chairman!!)

• Like 1

OK. Whatcwould you say is the "spirit" of removing the ability to make an injury replacement after the deadline? And how does that differ from the actual rule.

Fans moan about too many guests so BSPA responded by reducing the scenarios in which a guest can be used. And fans whinge.

Fans whinge about the year end changes last year. BSPA prevent such changes. Fans whinge.

Aces fan and it sucks Fricke is injured, but the rules are the same for all and should be adhered to so let's stop whinging and just get on with it.

I'd say both are equal blows. Zach is less easily covered but that impacts only rides per meeting.

The new rule doesn't really hinder swindon, as ability to get a permanent replacement would be as limiting as getting guests.

For Fricke a permant replacement may have been better than rr.

Are they though?

I think we have seen in the past , that is not always the case. I agree it should be the case, but it most definitely hasn't been in the past. One or two Clubs spring to mind where things have been, shall we say, manipulated to suit their own ends.

• Like 1