British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

The Collapse Of The Pound And The Effect On The El

What an obnoxious man you are! True colours showing now.

Yep. And I stick by that. My family before anything else.

Sorry Steve. A " catastrophe" (your words) is the tsunami of 2004 or what is happening in Syria.

If the vote costs you a few bob in your pocket I am sure you are resourceful enough to be able to turn the situation around?

Please put things in perspective..

The problem was the public should never have been anywhere near a vote of such magnitude as this. The common man or woman doesn't have the understanding of what they were voting for, and as such have caused a catastrophe for the United Kingdom.

The majority of brexit voters don't understand the economics involved. Instead they voted to keep the migrants out and 'get their country back'. Well, that isn't going to change. The EU migrants will continue to enter the UK just as before. And if anyone thinks new UK laws which are answerable to no one is good, they need their head examined. No European courts to appeal to if you feel you are being treated unfairly.

With price rises now starting to show across the board from food to electricals to fuel to trips abroad, how long will it be before the bleating starts and these brexit people start to moan at the government to "do something about it". Yet they are the very people who have caused these price increases. And its only going to get worse over 2017, with most economists expecting parity between the pound and euro by the end of next year.

I do wish the government had the balls for a second referendum just to clarify what people want. Now the effects of brexit are starting to show I would put my money on a landslide vote to remain. Most people don't like to see a shrinking wallet and unable to now afford holidays abroad.

Steve give it a rest mate you are digging yourself a deeper hole. What has been done is done, everybody knew it would not be plain sailing after the vote was cast. But things will take time to settle down. Problem is Steve, you are looking at things from your perspective and nobody elses.

Most were sick of the Osbourne Cameron rubbish, people knew these two clowns were sailing country down the river for there own ends.

And the bleating and stamping of feet continues from the defeated inners....Pathetic :lol:

• Like 2

there was only one reason for the referendum,cameron believed a remain vote was inevatable and once and for all the euro sceptics in the tory party could be silenced forever,gamble backfired and our children and grandchildren are going to suffer the consequences

So what happen before 1970 did we suffer no you don't know what will happen you are all sumising

I don't believe a vote was inevitable at all. Cameron was just too weak to stand up to usual elements within his own party - something that Thatcher and even John Major managed. Simple demographics of old people dying and younger people joining the electorate would also diminish the 'inevitability'.

Such a vote was never going to resolve anything because even if remain had won, it would never have been by enough to silence the Brexiteers.

It needed strong leadership to make the case for staying in the EU, and if necessary enact changes by withholding funding and using the UK veto powers.

Thanks

• Like 1

The problem was the public should never have been anywhere near a vote of such magnitude as this. The common man or woman doesn't have the understanding of what they were voting for,

The majority of brexit voters don't understand the economics involved. Instead they voted to keep the migrants out and 'get their country back'. Well, that isn't going to change. The EU migrants will continue to enter the UK just as before. And if anyone thinks new UK laws which are answerable to no one is good, they need their head examined. No European courts to appeal to if you feel you are being treated unfairly.

In the vast majority of cases there is no appeal to either of the European Courts, even if you do feel you have been treated unfairly. In fact simply feeling you have been treated unfairly is not a grounds for appeal anywhere in the EU.

New UK laws answerable to no one ? What are you talking about ? UK laws are made by the UK parliament which can be ejected by the UK electorate if they don't like it and replaced by new representatives.

And you try to tell us the common man or woman doesn't understand what they were voting for. The irony !

• Like 1

In the vast majority of cases there is no appeal to either of the European Courts, even if you do feel you have been treated unfairly. In fact simply feeling you have been treated unfairly is not a grounds for appeal anywhere in the EU.

New UK laws answerable to no one ? What are you talking about ? UK laws are made by the UK parliament which can be ejected by the UK electorate if they don't like it and replaced by new representatives.

And you try to tell us the common man or woman doesn't understand what they were voting for. The irony !

What irony, a lot of Brexit voters admitted they voted for Brexit as a protest vote because they and everyone else didn't expect the UK to leave and they wouldn't have done so otherwise..

Others voted for Brexit as a protest against the establishment and austerity,,

However, at the same time the Tories do not want to have Parliament involved in the form Brexit should take - disgraceful and undemocratic

As for new UK laws, whilst rents have recently rocketed let's just watch the EU rights for employees to disappear..

TBH, your post says very little constructively either way..

• Like 1

Democracy is all about accepting democratic voting. Would you rather beat people with a stick until they change their mind....

Sorry what has that got to do with my point about both sides moaning about the result if the lost ...the bottom line it was always going to happen whatever the result democratic or not .

The problem was the public should never have been anywhere near a vote of such magnitude as this. The common man or woman doesn't have the understanding of what they were voting for, and as such have caused a catastrophe for the United Kingdom.

The majority of brexit voters don't understand the economics involved. Instead they voted to keep the migrants out and 'get their country back'. Well, that isn't going to change.

A very patronising point of view.

So all those who voted to stay voted because they knew precisely what they were voting on?

There was equally as many blind voters to stay as there were that wanted out. Both sets had their reasons I'm sure but one is no better than the other.

The stays don't have the majority view, that's why we have public votes on such important issues.

Not everyone who voted knew the economical reasons and ramifications for both sides. To discredit one side and not the other is very blinkered in the extreme.

• Like 2

What irony, a lot of Brexit voters admitted they voted for Brexit as a protest vote because they and everyone else didn't expect the UK to leave and they wouldn't have done so otherwise..

Others voted for Brexit as a protest against the establishment and austerity,,

However, at the same time the Tories do not want to have Parliament involved in the form Brexit should take - disgraceful and undemocratic

As for new UK laws, whilst rents have recently rocketed let's just watch the EU rights for employees to disappear..

TBH, your post says very little constructively either way..

I think a number of members have grasped the irony. It is that Steve claims a lot of Brexit voters didn't know what they were voting for but it's clear from his comment about the European Court and UK laws that he doesn't understand all that facts either.

As for Brexit voters making protest votes etc, I haven't discussed with anyone why they voted the way they did so I have no idea what their motives were. What percentage of the 17,000,000 that voted out have you discussed it with?

U.K. Rents were rocketing long before Brexit and have been discussed on the forum long before Brexit.

As for rights for employees disappearing what specific employment rights do you think are going to disappear? Industrial Tribunals and modern employee rights go right back to the Thatcher era and beyond. The idea that they all come from the EU is a myth. The recent judgement in favour of Uber drivers shows where the courts stand on these things and it's highly unlikely all that will be dismantled.

This is another one of those scare stories ( the sort we hear from both sides I have to add) that are put out and gain traction for no particular reason.

All anyone can say with certainty is that since the referendum the pound has fallen in value. Apart from that it's all speculation at the moment and there is still a long way to go before we know whether it's for the better or for the worse.My guess is that things will more or less trundle along in the same old way in the long term. That's what usually happens. Money talks. The Germans aren't going to want to lay off thousands of car workers because they can no longer sell 800,000 cars a year to the UK. and that's without other EU carmakers, and there are all sorts of strings to be pulled on both sides of the fence. It's all sabre rattling at the moment. The real horse trading has yet to start. It's just a shame that Csmeron messed it all up when he went to renegotiate last February. That's what happens when you send a boy to do a mans job.

In the meantime, don't believe all you read in the Mail and the Guardian.

• Like 4

The fall in the value of the pound isn't all due to Brexit - a substantial correction was coming Brexit or not!

I don't buy into the 'people didn't really know what they were voting for' scenario - in my opinion and shared by many I have spoken to, the direction in which the EU was heading wasn't to their liking.

• Like 3

The fall in the value of the pound isn't all due to Brexit - a substantial correction was coming Brexit or not!

Just an amazing coincidence :rofl:

• Like 3

I am on about how much time and money industry spends on all the eu red tape etc not the govt, why do you think so many business owners voted to leave.

Can you give me any examples of any of this EU red tape? I run 2 businesses what I do know is that we have ONS, RTI Auto-enrolment and many more examples of red tape from this government.