British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

I have long thought that many of the problems in UK speedway began with the decision to allow Jens Rasmussen and Peter Shroek to sign for Rye House. That decision opened the floodgates to average foreigners and air fares resulting in increased costs, fewer spots for British riders and an inconsistent fixture list as so many riders are unavailable due to other commitments. I think it is worth exploring that the Premier League should only be open to riders prepared to base themselves in the UK and not riding in any overseas leagues. May need to get there slowly over 3 years bit I think it could resolve a lot of problems.

We ought to be able to do that - now that we are getting out of the European Union.

I have long thought that many of the problems in UK speedway began with the decision to allow Jens Rasmussen and Peter Shroek to sign for Rye House.

You are dead right.

It's not the only reason for speedway's current troubles, but it is the single biggest reason for speedway's current troubles.

• Like 1

Jens Rasmussen lived in Whittlesey, near Peterborough, when he rode in England.

Correct and the actual reasoning given at the time was that he had lived in the UK for 5 years and was married to an English girl. If it had stopped with Jens then no problem. Unfortunately, once the crack appeared the floodgates opened.

We ought to be able to do that - now that we are getting out of the European Union.

Nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with promoters short term self interest. There is no EU regulation forcing anybody to sign these riders.

Red Flag, it's completely relevant if you read all the thread correctly.

I have and it's only people's opinion, my opinion is it was the beginning of the end

It's nothing to do with the EU and all down to promoters. They're the guys who lets most non-EU riders in on a 5 while EU riders tend to be 7 (with exceptions I ageee).

The promoters will do anything they think they can do to gain an advantage over others today. Sod the ensuing years and the rubbish storm it causes.

Edited by SCB

The point I was making was that Rasmussen didn't cost any air fares. Thoroughly nice bloke to boot, apart from his terrible hair lol.

So would the PL have survived without EU riders coming in - promotions neglected training their own for ready made

available but the standard went up considerably.

The foot and mouth disaster 15 years ago did much damage to grass track in UK which historically produced many young

riders for Speedway.

• Like 2

The point I was making was that Rasmussen didn't cost any air fares. Thoroughly nice bloke to boot, apart from his terrible hair lol.

I didn't have a problem with the Rasmussen argument but like doubling up it got out of hand.

I didn't have a problem with the Rasmussen argument but like doubling up it got out of hand.

i really do think that some riders have lost perspective of why they ride and where the sport is financially

Maybe so, but any employee is going to ask for what they think they can get. A speedway rider has no guarantee of employment from year-to-year, and could be injured tomorrow, and there will be little sentiment from their employer.

The fault lies squarely with promoters who agree to unsustainable demands, and who for years have failed to control costs that could be under their control.

I have long thought that many of the problems in UK speedway began with the decision to allow Jens Rasmussen and Peter Shroek to sign for Rye House. That decision opened the floodgates to average foreigners and air fares resulting in increased costs, fewer spots for British riders and an inconsistent fixture list as so many riders are unavailable due to other commitments.

Are people really still banging on about something that happened nearly 30 years ago? And are people forgetting that Commonwealth riders were always allowed in the NL as far as I remember.

Where things went wrong was the introduction and maintenance of an asset system that meant British riders attracted a transfer fee, whilst foreign riders initially could be signed for free.

You could probably also point to the demise of second halves and the introduction of 'professional' junior leagues that saw 30-year-old juniors taking team places.

Then there was the opening up of Eastern Europe after the Cold War that created a available pool of (initially) cheap riders, combined with British promoters looking to cut costs.

And finally, why shouldn't British resident riders have the right to compete at whatever level someone's willing to employ them? Rasmussen could presumably have just taken out a British passport and ridden as a Brit anyway.

Again it ultimately comes back to promoters failing to control costs, not blaming those who were employed.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

You are dead right.

It's not the only reason for speedway's current troubles, but it is the single biggest reason for speedway's current troubles.

Indirectly yes.

Opening the floodgates, with hardly any control, delivered so much of what we have today...

i.e. A business that 'opens' sporadically and only then, when its (mainly overseas) workforce dictate to the business owner when they will work for them...

Imagine opening any 'leisure business' chasing the 'leisure pound', and expecting to be successful whilst only being able to open the odd weekend (THE key time for anyone in the leisure industry) here and there because your employees are not available as they are working elsewhere?

Imagine running a business whose success is completely based on the loyalty of its patrons and only being able to tell your patrons your (ever changing) opening times as and when you can get someone to work for you..?

Imagine running a business that you know needs to attract a new much younger customer base to survive, as your dwindling customer demographic is of an extreme elderly persuasion, yet you hardly open on Friday and Saturday nights, Sunday day, or even through the school hols as you cannot get staff?

Incredibly that is Speedways business model...

Amazed it has worked so well...!😀

Imagine going to a bank manager for a loan with that as your business plan and expecting them to throw some money your way!!😃

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

So according to today mirror newspaper Somerset plus 2 other clubs are targeting a move into the Elite League.

Can you supply a link to the actual article?