British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

Oh wow, that's exciting .I hope they don't go for single racenights because with my renewed interest I will want to buy season tickets at Cov ,Leicester, Brum , and Cradley , and wont be able to go to all 4 on the same night

How could speedway go for single race nights? Would the stadiums be available? ...and on that single night possibility it would possibly on a fortnightly basis as only half the members clubs would be staging home matches. Or an I getting a little confused on this issue?

Edited by Guest

How could speedway go for single race nights? Would the stadiums be available? ...and on that single night possibility it would possibly on a fortnightly basis as only half the members clubs would be staging home matches. Or an I getting a little confused on this issue?

That is the problem, one night a week racing will kill off some of the clubs because they cannot run on that day, also with only racing on one night that would mean racing at home once a fortnight and with the odd rainoff fans will get out of the habit of a specific night of the week is speedway night. The breaks in the schedule this season and last were awful. I also reckon that with a single race night when there is a decent meeting on tv and you have a crap team visiting many will stay at home and watch the tv meeting.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 6

The basic points we fans need to know are:

1. Which teams will be in what league.

2. For EL. Are the weekly race nights going to be set i.e. one or two nights per week.

3. Total team points limit

4. Any significant rule changes re Tactical substitutes or similar.

If anybody else want to add any significant "wants" feel free to add.

And an announcement answering your rather obvious points, will be released when all business is concluded.

I think the AGM should also look at the situation when a rider HAS to be excluded after an incident. At the referees discretion could there not be a "no fault" re-run with all four riders? Sometimes its very difficult, even with a TV replay to blame a rider. I'm thinking of an incident where a rider locks up, the following rider lays down to avoid a nasty accident, and is then excluded for his trouble! Unfair or what?

• Like 9

I think the AGM should also look at the situation when a rider HAS to be excluded after an incident. At the referees discretion could there not be a "no fault" re-run with all four riders? Sometimes its very difficult, even with a TV replay to blame a rider. I'm thinking of an incident where a rider locks up, the following rider lays down to avoid a nasty accident, and is then excluded for his trouble! Unfair or what?

Once saw a meeting at Edinburgh when both Scott Lamb and Jesper Olsen were excluded for being joint cause of a crash.(Late 90's)

• Like 1

riding sundays so no chance

Not until dates are announced. If there was a big enough carrot then all things are negotiable. We still ride when we're allowed and Sunday will probably turn out to be as meaningful as Elite, although if that's what it is then I suspect the balance will just be in favour of the alleged popular slot.

That is the problem, one night a week racing will kill off some of the clubs because they cannot run on that day, also with only racing on one night that would mean racing at home once a fortnight and with the odd rainoff fans will get out of the habit of a specific night of the week is speedway night. The breaks in the schedule this season and last were awful. I also reckon that with a single race night when there is a decent meeting on tv and you have a crap team visiting many will stay at home and watch the tv meeting.

Never bought into this idea that if teams raced once a fortnight people will get out of the habit.2 answers.....football and winter

Football seems to prove people don't get out of the habit of fortnightly sport.Quite the opposite

The winter break is far far longer than two weeks.Let's not have a break in case people get out of the habit!!!!

• Like 2

Never bought into this idea that if teams raced once a fortnight people will get out of the habit.2 answers.....football and winter

Football seems to prove people don't get out of the habit of fortnightly sport.Quite the opposite

The winter break is far far longer than two weeks.Let's not have a break in case people get out of the habit!!!!

If racing goes to one night a week and home meetings once a fortnight we shall see then.

The major issue then is once fans are lost it is difficult to get them all back and the last thing speedway needs is less fans going to the meetings.

Edited by A ORLOV

And once a fortnight halves the cost for those who find it too expensive so it could increase crowds.

• Like 2

And once a fortnight halves the cost for those who find it too expensive so it could increase crowds.

I agree.For a lot of people who have the time and money there will always be another track they can visit if they can't follow their team to the away meeting,so it will boost crowds elsewhere.The sport flourishes crowd-wise in Poland and Sweden with fortnightly speedway.Their fans don't suddenly forget there is speedway on or start doing something else,so i am not sure why peple always think fans in the UK are any different

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

In theory that's a good idea , however would you really want to give the likes of Vardy , Horley ,or the other Bint , more chances to make ludicrous decisions , we would have races with all 4 back because the one who caused the stoppage had blue eyes .

In theory that's a good idea , however would you really want to give the likes of Vardy , Horley ,or the other Bint , more chances to make ludicrous decisions , we would have races with all 4 back because the one who caused the stoppage had blue eyes .

so you think the male referees are better I find that funny ha ha
  • Like 1

I agree.For a lot of people who have the time and money there will always be another track they can visit if they can't follow their team to the away meeting,so it will boost crowds elsewhere.The sport flourishes crowd-wise in Poland and Sweden with fortnightly speedway.Their fans don't suddenly forget there is speedway on or start doing something else,so i am not sure why peple always think fans in the UK are any different

I agree as well. If your team races once at home and once away each fortnight it gives you the opportunity to arrange your other commitments around the meetings. I find it relatively easy to arrange my life around football but much more difficult for speedway

• Like 2

I have been going to football as long as I have been going to speedway, both are habit forming.

Football has always been more or less every two weeks

Speedway has always been every Thursday

that's it, if I don't get a meeting for a month because of a rain off, that's three weeks to find something to fill my Thursday night, if it is cheaper and more entertaining I might be persuaded to go there instead,

in winter I would rather stay in in the warm, and again its a habit, no speedway in winter, no football in summer

the other thing is why are people looking at tweaking things, it has gone past tweaking and needs a radicle rethink before there is no speedway

no it doesn't, they now only go to one match a month anyway, they don't gain and neither does the club

and the club might have to pay twice the amount of rent for the stadium every two weeks, or more if the stadium is losing money for food and drink as well, because the landlords are not going to want to half their income over the summer

• Like 1

I have been going to football as long as I have been going to speedway, both are habit forming.

Football has always been more or less every two weeks

Speedway has always been every Thursday

that's it, if I don't get a meeting for a month because of a rain off, that's three weeks to find something to fill my Thursday night, if it is cheaper and more entertaining I might be persuaded to go there instead,

in winter I would rather stay in in the warm, and again its a habit, no speedway in winter, no football in summer

the other thing is why are people looking at tweaking things, it has gone past tweaking and needs a radicle rethink before there is no speedway

And that is exactly what has happened with people I bump into in town, at the pub watching a gp or at the track , that used to be a regular fan but do not now bother apart from the occasional odd meeting. If the meetings do change to fortnightly hopefully we may run an NL team on some of the alternate weeks.