British Speedway Forum

Would love to as Kasprzak apart all of our riders are very much capable of beating their opposite average counterpart. Even then Somerset Tungate is a million times better than Swindon Tungate so he will give Kasprzak a good battle at the OTA.

totally agree.

That has to be the surprise team selection of the Year. Welcome to the Future of 'Top' Level Speedway in this Country.

The arrogance on here from some Poole fans is bloody funny!

• Like 2

The arrogance on here from some Poole fans is bloody funny!

Get used to it.

• Like 3

totally agree.

Not exactly have an objective opinion do you Gavan? I like to see the teams come up do well. Maybe I just expected too much from Somerset. Thought it would be better tbh.

I think it's fair to say Somerset are testing the waters on their first season in the top tier, and quite simply, why not?! They've stuck to the majority of the title winning side from last year which is a rare occurance itself in Speedway to show such loyalty. It's a shame we haven't got a 'big' name at the top of the riding order as someone like Kildemand would of been great to watch at the Oak Tree but hey ho. People who never came to the Oak Tree last year probably won't appreciate just how good Tungate is here now. He is mighty quick and could probably beat just about anyone at any level around here.

All of these comparisons against Poole are abit unrealistic. I don't think anybody expected us to go up a league and walk that too. I'm excited about seeing some new teams, slightly different riders and a whole new challenge. We had won just about everything the old PL had to offer so time to take the plunge. I think we might get some trouncings away from home (I also made that prediction last year!) but will more than hold our own at home - which is what 95% of fans ask for. To be entertained and win your home meetings.

Jake Allen has the potential to kick on big styley so won't be at reserve for too long, so having Wright, Starke or Allen at reserve all season is far from being a bad thing.

• Like 5

Unfortunately one or two poole fan's it's paramount to win I'm afraid most of us are OK just listen to Gary interview say's it as it is

• Like 4

Unfortunately one or two poole fan's it's paramount to win I'm afraid most of us are OK just listen to Gary interview say's it as it is

Unfortunately I can't listen to it at work - can anybody summarise what he says?

I am very much of the belief that the Somerset promotion have validated their team building ability through the years. They have credit in the bank when it comes to that particular skill set. They also have a trend of building sides that tend to surpass expectations, albeit that might be skewed slightly this season as the expectation set is likely to be lower, and naturally so given they are the new boys.

That is a side that fans of the club can identify with, and that fans will afford time to due to their achievements in the season just gone – that will ultimately be more important than a Peterborough (maybe, probably, who knows) and an Ipswich fan (Poole loather) partaking in dick swinging contents and on a forum.

As an aside, it humours me slightly seeing how many people still cannot get their head around the fact that next season is not the Elite League, that product is dead. I am seeing observations where Graversen is being mocked as a signing, and don’t get me wrong any other season he should be, but when the mocking is coming from sides with reserves the standard of Shanes it comes across a bit like people living in glass houses who shouldn’t be throwing stones (that is not meant as a slight on Shanes).

Edited by Minor Interest
  • Like 3

Not exactly have an objective opinion do you Gavan? I like to see the teams come up do well. Maybe I just expected too much from Somerset. Thought it would be better tbh.

i have an opinion same as everyone and that is that Somerset will do well at home even against the stronger side like Poole , Rye House and Wolves.

What i dont like is the resident Poole trolls like Monster Daz going on every thread to mock every other team

I am very much of the belief that the Somerset promotion have validate their team building ability through the years. They have credit in the bank when it comes to that particular skill set. They also have a trend of building sides that tend to surpass expectations, albeit they might be skewed slightly this season as the expectation set is likely to be lower, and naturally so given they are the new boys.

That is a side that fans of the club can identify with, and that fans will afford time to due to their achievements in the season just gone – that will ultimately be more important than a Peterborough (maybe, probably, who knows) and an Ipswich fan (Poole loather) partaking in dick swinging contents and on a forum.

As an aside, it humours me slightly seeing how many people still cannot get their head around the fact that next season is not the Elite League, that product is dead. I am seeing observations where Graversen is being mocked as a signing, and don’t get me wrong any other season he should be, but when the mocking is coming from sides with reserves the standard of Shanes it comes across a bit like people living in glass houses who shouldn’t be throwing stones (that is not meant as a slight on Shanes).

lovely phrasing.

i have an opinion on Somersets team and applaud them for what they are doing. Unlike some who are happy just to bash them and yes does tend to be Poole fans who do this far more than any other club

• Like 5

May said he couldnt build a side round holder, had kildemand but it fell thru and ended up going with most of last yrs side instead

• Like 1

it's hardly an inspiring team, but its also not a terrible team.

Josh G, Tungate and Hougaard are all solid 3rd HL in this league, the issue is they don't have a genuine number 1, can see plenty of heat 15 5-1s against them away from home.

Starke and Wright are decent 2nd strings, though neither is anywhere near HL ability (whereas at Rye, Watt could be a 4th HL, at Poole Klindt could be etc. )

the reserves pair is solid, though unlikely to dominate, and you have to wonder if a weaker 7 and genuine 1 was the way to go.

At home they will be tough to beat, though I expect Poole and Wolves will beat them. that should be enough to keep the crowds coming in. away i expect they will cop some thumpings.

bttom end of the table, but maybe not wooden spooners.

as a kiwi disappointed BWD didnt get a slot, and as an Aces fan disappointed that Hougarrd did, as had hoped he would be our 3rd HL.

i have an opinion same as everyone and that is that Somerset will do well at home even against the stronger side like Poole , Rye House and Wolves.

What i dont like is the resident Poole trolls like Monster Daz going on every thread to mock every other team

lovely phrasing.

i have an opinion on Somersets team and applaud them for what they are doing. Unlike some who are happy just to bash them and yes does tend to be Poole fans who do this far more than any other club

I think you will find Monster Daz may have supported Peterborough in the past so not exactly a one team kind of guy!

As for Somerset's team they will do ok at home but i would not have thought it is the sort of track to have massive home advantage so there could be one or two losses at home. Jake Allen seems to be an up and coming star so expect good things from him, Josh G, Hougaard and Tungate are solid, Starke is improving but Wright and Graversen could struggle.

Overall a team of good riders but no really top riders so may struggle against some teams especially away from home.

• Like 3

Wilson-Dean has signed for Peterborough along with Starke

Realy...where's that been announced then?