British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Any one of the four you mentioned would do Sings Kings,,i am more concerned about the 3 pointers available..hopefully none of those we had at Rye last season,..Who else is available,??????????

A lot of clubs are asking that exact question. With the MDL being shrunken down last season meaning less rides for riders to develop & most of the rich pickings from the youth rounds taken the number of ready & capable 3 pointers is limited. Perhaps the academy at Lakeside can throw up a couple of riders but have they done any competitive racing?

Sings 4 Kingsi have a feeling you may be right with Hagons strong connection to Lakeside but surely not more than one complete novice

• Like 1

Sings 4 Kingsi have a feeling you may be right with Hagons strong connection to Lakeside but surely not more than one complete novice

Would seem a little foolish if they do. Whilst promoting the future, young riders etc etc lakeside have started to assemble a competitive side and will need it to be both capable & competitive if they have any hope of winning over Premiership supporters

• Like 1

Would seem a little foolish if they do. Whilst promoting the future, young riders etc etc lakeside have started to assemble a competitive side and will need it to be both capable & competitive if they have any hope of winning over Premiership supporters

If they want to be competitive come September then they should manipulate their team building to get Hunter at reserve st the start of the season.

• Like 1

As people have said; a good team, especially at Arena, is required to please those very against the drop to the NL. 3 Essex born riders signed so far will help fans get behind the new team.

A couple of thoughts on potential 3 pointers:

Charlie Brooks looks to have a good style from the pics I have seen, but haven't seen him ride yet. Any thoughts on him?

Also, Jamie Halder had good results in the Development League, but I also haven't seen him ride either. Opinions?

Other riders with Essex connections:

Sam Bebee has ridden in Academy races at Arena, but is he going to be fit?

Alex Spooner is a very local lad, but I presume isn't quite ready for the NL yet?

As people have said; a good team, especially at Arena, is required to please those very against the drop to the NL. 3 Essex born riders signed so far will help fans get behind the new team.

A couple of thoughts on potential 3 pointers:

Charlie Brooks looks to have a good style from the pics I have seen, but haven't seen him ride yet. Any thoughts on him?

Also, Jamie Halder had good results in the Development League, but I also haven't seen him ride either. Opinions?

Other riders with Essex connections:

Sam Bebee has ridden in Academy races at Arena, but is he going to be fit?

Alex Spooner is a very local lad, but I presume isn't quite ready for the NL yet?

Bebee won't be fit for the start of the season.

Halder has one of the smoothest styles you'll see from an inexperienced youngster, but he lacks speed. A useful prospect who is likely to make steady if unspectacular progress. It's quite a drive down from Selby on a Friday night though!

• Like 1

I just hope they have got the riders they want signed up and are keeping us all in suspense for the announcements...If not the options will be getting less and less as the days go by and we could be getting the left overs........

Looking at the points available and the other teams signings, I hope the promotion has signed Nathan Stoneman as third heat leader and go with two 3 pointers at reserve. Sam Woods appeared to have scored well for Rye House at the back end of last season riding in the no 2 position, he looks like he could improve on his 3 point starting average. I'd like to see the other position given to a graduate of the British Youth Championship and / or the Hagon Academy, someone like Alex Spooner or Charlie Brooks.

With all the newcomers this year,, Sam Woods would do a good job at reserve,providing he can keep his equipment up to scratch ,we must have one reserve experienced enough to get regular points..

• Like 1

With all the newcomers this year,, Sam Woods would do a good job at reserve,providing he can keep his equipment up to scratch ,we must have one reserve experienced enough to get regular points..

sam woods has been round for to many years and is still a 3 pointer

Agreed. Sadly Sam is often let down by his machinery and then starts to feel the pressure to score points and suffers silly falls. If he can find a serious cash injection into equipment i feel he has the potential to be a 5 point man this season if he can't its a place that should really go to somebody else.

Of the others mentioned ive heard good things about Charlie Brooks but how much strong competitive racing has he done? Alex Spooner definitely needs another year in the MDL at least and NL racing now would do more harm than good.

• Like 1

Shane Hazeldene and Jack Kingston are club assets but Lakeside couldn't have both as there would be insufficient points left for the final rider. Does anyone know much about Dan Gilkes. He is part of the Revolution Team and scored 11 from 4 in the Rye House 500cc youth round last year qualifying 2nd behind Kyle Bickley. I believe he is 14 now but cannot find out if he will be 15 in time for next season.

Edited by tocha

I remember watching David Mason for London Lions 20 years ago and he is no better a rider now than he was then, how can a rider who has never been anything teach other riders? if a rider like that wants to ride a bike then he can go and do events with the Dragons or Southern riders clubs, certainly shouldn't be taking a team spot which a youngster wanting to make his way in the sport could have yet alone draw a wage from it.

• Like 2

I remember watching David Mason for London Lions 20 years ago and he is no better a rider now than he was then, how can a rider who has never been anything teach other riders? if a rider like that wants to ride a bike then he can go and do events with the Dragons or Southern riders clubs, certainly shouldn't be taking a team spot which a youngster wanting to make his way in the sport could have yet alone draw a wage from it.

If he has "never been anything" then the youngsters should find it easy to take his team place......

But he is the highest scorer in third tier history for a reason.

• Like 1

Yeah but the quality of racing in third Tier is improving every year at the moment with so many top young riders coming through every year