British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Can't really comment but does not seem a good signing, I can't see me making many trips to the raceway to be honest. What's the grub like at Rye? ;)

Poor, poor signings. Mason's only going one way and isn't an entertaining rider. I suspect there's nothing that Mason can offer in the pits experience wise that Morley couldn't offer to be perfectly honest. On top of that the team has Kelvin Tatum in the pits to give wisdom.

Laurence has been around nearly 10 years and is still a three point reserve.

Piles the pressure on Hunter and Bowtell who could have been trump cards but now it looks like they are going to have to perform.

• Like 1

Maybe Kelvin will work his magic on Laurence as he must have seen something in him given that 3 pointers aren't exactly thin on the ground.

Poor, poor signings. Mason's only going one way and isn't an entertaining rider. I suspect there's nothing that Mason can offer in the pits experience wise that Morley couldn't offer to be perfectly honest. On top of that the team has Kelvin Tatum in the pits to give wisdom.

Laurence has been around nearly 10 years and is still a three point reserve.

Piles the pressure on Hunter and Bowtell who could have been trump cards but now it looks like they are going to have to perform.

No disguising the fact that Mason is a dire signing in what is now looking a dire team after seeming so promising when the first four signings were announced.

Even if Mason scores a maximum in every match,(which of course he won't) he could only do it in the most boring way possible. The greater likelihood is that in the majority of his races he will be trundling round trying to block off whoever is behind him, if anyone.

The plain fact is that it is a junior league for young riders who may not yet have th experience and the professionalism to entertain but they do have enthusiasm that the crowd can warm to. It is very important in Speedwáy that the crowd have favourites they can get behind and support. That's what gets the fans in. Nobody is going to have Mason as their favourite. Sorry but I see no positives in the two signings.

Idont know this other bloke but one can hardly be expecting much from him .

I just don't know where they go from here. There are a few decent riders but as a team it inspires neither confidence nor excitement. Very disappointed. Can't see many going through the turnstiles.

• Like 1

Completely underwhelmed. Jon Cook seems to have list it completely. No idea what bizarre line of thinking led him to these two signings especially Mason. As others have said, he just won't get the crowd going.

A 40 year old , on the way down, never been any higher than bottom league standard . Unbelievable.

The plain fact is that it is a junior league for young riders

Gonna wholeheartedly disagree with that, if it was plain fact then there would be no elder riders. It is plain fact that that's what you want the league to be....

There are (in the words of the bspa press release about a week ago) now 3 development leagues. The MDL, NJL, and the SJL are the 3 junior leagues, NL is the 3rd tier of British speedway and yes it develops riders for the old PL, the same as the old Premier developed riders for the EL, and indeed for British riders the EL developed riders for European leagues and international fixtures.

• Like 2

Yet another two fingers stuck up by Mr Cook at the fans, its their choice who they want to have in their team but don't come crying when hardly anyone comes to watch and no sky money to bail you out this season, I certainly will not bother investing my time or money into a club that is clearly on the wane and has no ambition even when racing at the lowest tier, the fact they are giving team places to riders 15 years past their best which was never very good in the first place says it all.

Good luck Lakeside, your going to need it if you are still going to be in business in ten months time.

• Like 2

These are depressing posts on here now,,after every thing started to look so positive after the first 4 signings.. ..It is now looking unlikely this side will be making the play offs,,,When will managements realise they have to put out competitive ,and above all if they want the fans to turn up, entertaining sides..And after dropping down two leagues this becomes even more vital....

• Like 4

the issue is , you've signed a rider as heatleader who is no longer one, that 5 and 3 bonus caper is all well and good riding at no4 getting points off the rammel.

they are expecting a couple heat wins and 2 placings from mason both home and away really

good luck with that project.

• Like 1

the issue is , you've signed a rider as heatleader who is no longer one, that 5 and 3 bonus caper is all well and good riding at no4 getting points off the rammel.

they are expecting a couple heat wins and 2 placings from mason both home and away really

good luck with that project.

Agree.

Talking of Mason as a Heat Leader is just insane.

He was nowhere near a Heat Leader at Kent.

To be a Heat Leader you have to bang in big points Home and AWAY ??? :nono:

• Like 1

Very difficult to disagree with anything in the last four posts. I was prepared to give the NL a go and I wouldn't have minded paying £13 admission if it was entertaining but I am not going to pay when only half the team have ant prospect of improvement. I feel sorry for the four previously signed. They deserve better than this.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

Niall Struddwick maybe ??

Hector,,please we are all at a low ebb already !!

As a point of interest are there any riders around 3.4 left that we could fit in to give us a slightly stronger reserve ???

• Like 1

Gonna wholeheartedly disagree with that, if it was plain fact then there would be no elder riders. It is plain fact that that's what you want the league to be....

There are (in the words of the bspa press release about a week ago) now 3 development leagues. The MDL, NJL, and the SJL are the 3 junior leagues, NL is the 3rd tier of British speedway and yes it develops riders for the old PL, the same as the old Premier developed riders for the EL, and indeed for British riders the EL developed riders for European leagues and international fixtures.

Its a question of balance. It is, after all, the National Development League so it should that exist for that purpose. However, all stand alone clubs are businesses and need to have a line up competitive to attract paying customers because the plain fact is few will pay to watch a training league. Its why the likes of Wilson, Boxall, Halsey and Bowen aren't just desirable, they are a necessity.

To my mind, the NL pretty much achieves that balance and deserves a great deal of credit for doing so.