British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

National Development League Agm

Quite right. How about some kind of weighting on the averages, so that a rider gets a 10% "discount" on his average for every year that they are under 20 and a 5% premium for every year that they are over 21?

Thus a 16 year old rider with a 6.00 average is discounted by 40% (= average of 3.6 for team building purposes) whereas a 28 year old rider with a 6.00 average would be loaded by 35% (= 8.10 for team building purposes) And if the"oldies" don't like it, then they can look for a bargain basement place in the Championship with the other big boys. The NL needs to move away from being a retirement home for the under achievers, and focus on being a nurturing ground for the young and aspirational.

Nice try :wink: , That would mean Perry may get a 5% premium, but the rest would all get up to 40% discount thereby you would probably keep the same Team. :D

And, of course, there are plenty of promising beginners who are over 21.

• Like 1

Whilst it is obvious to all that youth is the future there is a dangerous current trend for pushing riders into league teams before they have achieved a sensible level because of their young age and potential rather than proven ability.

There is an appallingly low level of support for developing riders before they step into league racing and especially by NL clubs. Instead of harping on about the lack of capable 3 pointers every season all NL clubs should do something about it.

You come out with some stuff...

So it's an idea...maybe it sparks a better idea in someone else's head...but at least it's more than just the usual "something should be done" statement. If you don't like the idea then come up with a better one. Eventually, by brainstorming a few ideas instead of just moaning about them something workable could come out of it.

Quite right..where's Arthur Browning's phone number?

• Like 1

So it's an idea...maybe it sparks a better idea in someone else's head...but at least it's more than just the usual "something should be done" statement. If you don't like the idea then come up with a better one. Eventually, by brainstorming a few ideas instead of just moaning about them something workable could come out of it.

Haha so you didn't bother to quote my rationale as to why your idea doesn't work and ignore the fact that I've suggested many things in this section over the last couple of years. Even before the 'big teams' turned up.

Quite right..where's Arthur Browning's phone number?

Very witty ... not. I was thinking of a couple of others who live close to Perry Barr. The problem is that few clubs are prepared to do anything to help develop new riders.

I think you need a combination of experience and bringing on the youngsters.Although Eastbourne were hammered on here for employing Adam Ellis last year, we also brought in and brought on the likes of Wood, Brennen, Powell, Harris, and even help develop the likes of Knight and Perks into heat leaders . That surely has to be the balance of bringing on the youngsters or older newbies and getting people through the gate to fund it.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Adam Ellis isn't that old though. It's the Armstrongs and Atkins that I struggle with. The NL should be for the youngsters on the upward path of the learning curve so that there can be a wealth of British talent in the higher leagues and in Team GB. Someone should run a seniors circus separately for the golden oldies.

​In the late 1940s, Tom Oakley and Harold MacNaughton started their speedway careers when both were around 38 years old. They went on to ride at National League Division One level - both as it happens for New Cross, and were also capped for England in Division Two test matches. Nowadays you seemingly mustn't be older than a late teen to be considered as a rider with a future in the sport.

Edited by Guest

Adam Ellis isn't that old though. It's the Armstrongs and Atkins that I struggle with. The NL should be for the youngsters on the upward path of the learning curve so that there can be a wealth of British talent in the higher leagues and in Team GB. Someone should run a seniors circus separately for the golden oldies.

There is probably a case for having one older head per team for the others to learn from but those other six need to be under a certain age. Whether people like it or not the NL is mainly a training league to produce and develop talent for the two leagues above, and IMO it's at its most exciting when you have talented teenagers battling it out, and progressing from reserves to heatleaders (not newsreaders as my auto correct would have you believe).

There is probably a case for having one older head per team for the others to learn from but those other six need to be under a certain age. Whether people like it or not the NL is mainly a training league to produce and develop talent for the two leagues above, and IMO it's at its most exciting when you have talented teenagers battling it out, and progressing from reserves to heatleaders (not newsreaders as my auto correct would have you believe).

Under 25 ?

12 teams x 6 riders = 72

72 riders over 15 and under 25. Go on then name all 72

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

I've said it here countless times, it should be an experience limit not an age limit. It's perfectly easy to work out and implement, each team can only have one rider who has been riding for 5+ years for example as opposed to one over 25 year-old per team.

Think the only stipulation should be that the riders are british and/or qualify to ride for team gb, or national championships.

• Like 2

I've said it here countless times, it should be an experience limit not an age limit. It's perfectly easy to work out and implement, each team can only have one rider who has been riding for 5+ years for example as opposed to one over 25 year-old per team.

So under that system you would have forced Paul Starke to have retired at the end of 2011 after he had done five years NL racing and was still well short of PL standard.

• Like 2

Only need the current regulation of being a British passport holder and the under 4 point Pl average maintained. the sport even at this level has too many rules and regs which the casual fan can't figure out, start taking into account age and/or experience and will be even more baffling to most. Do most of us on here think if you ' banned ' or forced the retirement of the likes of Armstrong there's a queue of less experienced/younger riders waiting in the wings to step in and commit to a season with a club time and financially, I personally don't think so, but there may be?

• Like 2