British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

I now remember why i don't ever look on here or have much to do with social media anymore :t:

Well I suggest there is a simple way to respond to roguetrader.

Actions speak louder than words

Have a good season.

• Like 1

Well I suggest there is a simple way to respond to roguetrader.

Actions speak louder than words

Have a good season.

Certainly. Use it as motivation Rikki.

The Bryn Williams Celebration

------------------------------

Barry Bishop said;

I am seeking sponsors from any company or individual who believes that Bryn Williams was an absolute superstar in British Speedway. A

Man who gave so much to our sport - The Wightlink Warriors will hold the "Bryn Williams Celebration" on April 20th. A unique speedway meeting. If you want to be involved and to find out more please email speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk.

It is going to be amazing... be part of it 👍🏻

-----------------------------

For anyone who may wish to be involved

You got to feel for the Warriors after all the positives that they have created in the past 12 months. Let's hope they have proper insurance in place, the air fence is in tact and that the police catch / prosecute those responsible for this trespass and vandalism.

I believe they will still be taking a stand at the Celebration of Speedway tomorrow so why not go see them and show your support.

• Like 2

According to Facebook, the vandals were back at Smallbrook last night causing more damage.

says 'attempted' break in so hopefully no where near as bad as the previous time. they really need to catch them, somehow.

I spoke to barry at paradise park yesterday. The damage is mainly door frames and locks plus some electrical equipment stolen. All this still adds up to a few quid, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone - Thanks for all your comments and support over the recent break-ins and attempted break-ins. I am on site today so will determine the right plan of action for Smallbrook and how we best remedy the damage.

I would like to say something to you all, in that while the monetary loss is of course damaging to the club, for me the great issue is that these individuals have violated the work of our team, including Martin and I. You see our team gave up their holidays, spare time, after work, paid their own travel, came in the rain, snow, wind for what.... to help us return speedway and improve Smallbrook for all; and while I can say that Martin and I have made tremendous sacrifices too such as our work, family, friends to make Smallbrook the best it can be, I am truly heartbroken for those who gave their time to the club, who like us are so emotionally in love with the place that it constitutes to us the beating of a loved one... I hope that explains to you how I am feeling right now... I will update you all later but thank you so much for your help, support and messages - they have all been very uplifting. "WW"

• Like 8

i've got a short thought out plan of action for you. invest in a couple of bloody huge rottweilers and two very long chains , bar-stewards deserve all they get.

Smallbrook Stadium Share and Repair event a huge success.

Smallbrook Stadium is not only back to normal but further improved thanks to the Share and Repair event on Thursday 3rd March following a series of break-ins at the Sports and Entertainment complex located in Ryde.

Speaking about the event Island Speedway (IOW) Ltd's Chairman Barry Bishop said, "It's now well documented the heartache the break-ins and damage caused throughout the community and my own personal sense of utter disbelief. However, I cannot contain my joy and appreciation of those who came to the Share and Repair event yesterday. The event started much earlier than the 4pm start time and thanks to IOW Radio's morning reports people were knocking on my office door from 8.30am ready to get started. It was amazing.

Throughout the day, well over 50 people who had travelled from Southampton, Fareham, Portsmouth and across the Isle of Wight, came along to Smallbrook to offer their time to fix the damage and repair the goodwill and support to the stadium from the Island and beyond. The support was not limited to speedway fans either, with a broad spectrum of stadium users and people from across the Island including a couple who had never previously been to Smallbrook Stadium, who in conversation seemed really overwhelmed with such a great facility on the Island. Even more of a welcome surprise was that workers were not limited to users of the Stadium but also sponsors of the Wightlink Warriors with Ryde Taxis MD Jodie Younie and Wightlink's CEO Keith Greenfield both on hand to support the repair work.

I am pleased to say that most the priority repairs were fixed by 2pm, and even after publicly saying the work was all but completed, people still came along because they wanted the stadium to be even better than before the break-in. Incredibly, the team continued with further painting and additional nice to have work as well as initial planning for more security fencing, improved wheelchair areas and more security lighting and cameras. All the hard work was rewarded in the Premier Lounge with a cold beer on the house.

As a final word, I would like to thank everyone that came forward to support the Share and Repair event and to help fix Smallbrook. This along with the pledges of future support to continue to grow the acorn we planted has come as a total surprise and it really does show that we are always stronger together. Thank you."

• Like 3

Hearing that Harland Cook has been ruled out of the Warriors - some sort of confusion with his average. A gap now exists for a rider up to 4.04 subject to the NL coordinators agreement.

Wightlink Warriors forced into team change.

The Wightlink Warriors have been forced in to a team change following the NL Coordinators assessment that Harland Cook’s average must be 4.18 for the NL and this will be 0.14 over the 39 points limit set at the NL AGM.

Wightlink Warriors co-promoter Barry Bishop said “Martin, Jackie and I struggle to understand the logic behind this ruling as Harland was named as a number 8 for the Bournemouth Buccaneers in 2009, in what was to be his last season riding speedway before switching successfully to the grass, which means his last registered average was 3.00 and in addition to this, another set of rules indicated that he should be treated as a new rider in any case so also on a 3.00 point average. To further confuse the situation, 3 other riders returned to racing last season all of whom were the same grade as Harland in the 2008 conference league grading system and were assessed to be a 3.5 NL points average.

As a new promotion, we really struggle to understand this ruling and have requested on several occasions for the formula used to calculate such average assessments to be made available to promoters so that we don’t find ourselves in this situation again. However, we have known of the ruling for some time, so has Harland, and we tried passionately to counter argue with the NL Coordinator but despite our pleas for reason, we have been told that Harland cannot ride on an average of 3.00. While I am bitterly disappointed that we will not have Harland in the side, and even more so to let Harland go, we have to respect the decision of the NL Coordinator and we will now throw our doors open to any rider on a 4.04 average or less to get in contact with us for a chat. In the first instance please email speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk. In true Warrior Way fashion, now is your chance... come and take it."

• Like 1

What a joke that is! In keeping with recent riders who have returned to the shale, he should be reassessed at 3.50 or use his 2009 average of 3.00. Cook was a rider I was looking forwards to watching and the Warriors will be weaker without him.

• Like 3