British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

Whilst I wasn'the convinced Harland should have been avaluable on a 3.00 (partly jealousy as that's a bargain average ) I still think he should have been allowed in on a 3.5 as per the precident set last season. Sadly the NL will probably be the poorer without his inclusion

• Like 1

Whilst I wasn'the convinced Harland should have been avaluable on a 3.00 (partly jealousy as that's a bargain average ) I still think he should have been allowed in on a 3.5 as per the precident set last season. Sadly the NL will probably be the poorer without his inclusion

I agree. The 3.00 average was dubious but other clubs benefittied from getting a rider on 3.50 on a very similar situation last season, so the Warriors should've done too.

I agree. The 3.00 average was dubious but other clubs benefittied from getting a rider on 3.50 on a very similar situation last season, so the Warriors should've done too.

who were the riders last season

How did they arrive at 4.18 and why has it taken so long? Surely they should have let you know the moment he was signed? Suppose this is speedway though!

Look on original posting about this subject Gazzac, the IOW promotion knew quite a while ago

They just took till now to say he was assessed at 4.18 as the promotion had been fighting for ages to try and get his average changed.

Sorry didn't look back that far, if that's the case was always a chance it could go wrong.

Edited by gazzac

Makes you wonder how a GP rider can have his average reduced by best part of a point but someone who has been out of the sport for ten years can't have his reduced by anything.

Usual infuriating double standards almost certainly motivated by jealousy and spite :angry:

• Like 3

back to something more positive....

Wightlink Warriors to support start-up businesses.
The Wightlink Warriors are to support start-up and new businesses on the Isle of Wight with a selection of different promotional activities.
The Wightlink Warriors Commercial Director Barry Bishop gives more details, “When Martin and I returned Speedway to the Isle of Wight we really valued the support of individuals and businesses across the Island and south coast that gave us a helping hand and without them, the start-up costs for the project would have probably doubled. Martin and I take inspiration from the Warrior Way and those that support its values – one of which is community.

Martin, Team Warrior and I are always bouncing ideas around that can benefit the club, community or speedway while trying to innovate and think a little bit different to the norm. In 2016 we really got to understand the value of marketing and especially the value of those who helped us to locate banners and leaflets across the Island. These conversations have allowed us to confirm that the Wightlink Warriors would like to offer three companies the opportunity to have free marketing with the club in 2017. On offer is a trackside banner for 2 companies but one lucky company will be able to sponsor a meeting, with up to 10 guests including a meal, and have a great opportunity to bring their valued customers, partners or staff to a unique place to celebrate their business. Our offer is open to any business on the Isle of Wight and all they must do is tell us, why their business deserves this and what value being part of the Wightlink Warriors and the Warrior Way could bring them in 2017. Good luck. Please email your entries to Speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk by April 5th.

The Wightlink Warriors speedway, sponsorship and fun for all.”

• Like 4

Great idea,, shame other clubs do not have the brains to think upon similar lines

I am on a mission of positivity today......

The Wightlink Warriors to Sponsor the Darcy Ward Invitational meeting at Poole

The Wightlink Warriors have sponsored heat 10 of the Darcy Ward International to be held at Poole on March 24th. The meeting is set to be a fantastic speedway event with lots of international riders not often seen racing in the UK with the proceeds of the event going help Darcy Ward who received life changing injuries while racing in Poland.

Wightlink Warriors Commercial Director Barry Bishop said, "Some people may find it quite an unusual step for speedway teams to sponsor other speedway events but I view this type of thing as very much part of our all-round message. Last year we sponsored a heat at Champion Speedway in the US and this really raised the clubs profile over there along with our fantastic relationship with Cobra's Garage Mahal, we also sponsored the Leicester Easy Riders Race Jackets raising our profile amongst the Amateur riders and I see no reason why, taking the opportunity to support Darcy with his rehabilitation and the Darcy Ward Invitational should not help raise the clubs profile further along the south coast and throughout speedway just a little bit more. It is also true to say that we have worked well with our sponsors based along the south coast and I am sure many of them will attend this meeting. I hope that our sponsors, fans and all speedway fans, will enjoy seeing our support for one of the Pirates' favourite sons in the programme and the knowledge that we are just across the water if they ever want to come and celebrate the Warrior Way with us.

As part of our sponsorship package we have been given a pair of tickets to the event which is on March 24th. We plan to give these tickets away as part of our Warrior 100 draw and it will be just brilliant if we can sell the last few remaining numbers. So, with just 10 numbers remaining (26, 28, 39, 72, 74, 79, 81, 83, 86 and 93) take your opportunity to be part of the Warrior Way and have the chance to win a weekly prize of up to £100 (currently at £90) and all for £1.25 a week. Throw into the mix these tickets, which will be an additional prize on the March 16th draw, why miss out. Contact Speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk and we will put you in contact with Warrior 100 coordinator Colin Whitlock.

Finally, we would like to wish everyone a great day at Poole on March 24th, that it is a huge success and we are very proud to be part of it."

• Like 1

The Bryn Williams Celebration a free speedway meeting.

Bryn Williams was part of the team on the Isle of Wight since the club began in 1996 and was an extremely popular figure throughout speedway.

To celebrate his life, the Wightlink Warriors will hold a meeting with free entry to anyone on April 20th, when the Wightlink Warriors take on the Weymouth Wildcats in a NL challenge to celebrate Bryn’s life. The Wildcats have built a great side including former Warriors Kelsey Dugard and Mark Baseby, who we look forward to welcoming back. In addition to the main event we can confirm the Men in Black will be attending and putting on some demonstration races.

Fans, Islanders, well anyone really, will be able to come along and experience NL speedway, the Warrior Way and a celebration of Bryn and all that he cared about. It is going to be great fun, so please do get involved.

To help fund the meeting, the Wightlink Warriors have come up with 3 ways fans and businesses can support Bryns meeting with a sponsorship system for £100, £250 and £500. The categories will be You’re Tops £100, You’re Great £250 and You’re a Warrior £500. All sponsorship which exceeds the running cost of the meeting will be donated to the Speedway Riders Ben Fund, something Bryn was hugely proud of. If you would like to get involved in Bryn’s meeting and can help celebrate his life, please get in touch at speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk

Fans travelling from the mainland to watch speedway or take part in My First Skid at the Andrew Younie Smallbrook Stadium will once again receive the support of Warriors lead sponsor Wightlink. The incentive code is now operational and give a 20% discount on travel when booked through the Warriors website http://wightwarriors.co/club-info/travel-portal

Wightlink Warriors Commercial Director Barry Bishop said, "Everyone at the Warriors would like to that Wightlink for their super support of the club in 2017. Their support and sponsorship will make a big difference to the Warriors in 2017 and we are very proud to announce that Wightlink have extended their support to include once again travelling fans and those attending My First Skid. We encourage fans to book as early as they can to get the very best pricing especially around the peak travel times in school holidays and festivals. This year will see the Wightlink Warriors working more closely with the ferry company to encourage fans to come to the island and Warriors fans and riders to travel to away fixtures on the mainland. This is the start of a special relationship as we look to grow all aspects of the club and Smallbrook Stadium and we thank everyone at Wightlink for their support."

• Like 3

There are a few riders who have got averages that would fit!

Adam Kirby 3.77
James Purchase 3.59
Jamie Halder 3.57
Paul Burnett 3.46
Daniel Blake 3.40
Reece Downes 3.33
Ben Basford 3.09
Liam Rumsey 3.05
Not sure how many have retired, but some may have just been dropped & forgotten about?
Edited by szkocjasid

There are a few riders who have got averages that would fit!

Adam Kirby 3.77, Took a year out to get over injuries, seems now that its going to be 2 years
James Purchase 3.59, Injured awaiting a shoulder operation B4 he can ride again
Jamie Halder 3.57
Paul Burnett 3.46, Probably a decent option if he can be persuaded to sign
Daniel Blake 3.40
Reece Downes 3.33
Ben Basford 3.09, Taking a year out.
Liam Rumsey 3.05, still has his equipment but does he have the will ?.