British Speedway Forum

My late uncle, mums side of family, told me he watched at Harringay in the 1930's when they were called Tigers. Unfortunately he mentioned this to me very late in life and he became really ill and passed away before I had the chance to ask him any more....

My late uncle, mums side of family, told me he watched at Harringay in the 1930's when they were called Tigers. Unfortunately he mentioned this to me very late in life and he became really ill and passed away before I had the chance to ask him any more....

The pre-war speedway team, with riders like Jack Parker, Jack Ormston and Norman Parker in the side, were the Tigers. In 1947 they were revived as Harringay Racers and led by Vic Duggan.

Over the years there was a lot of activity at the Arena, as the Link will show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay_Arena

...and here's a Link to the speedway.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Harringay.htm

You will also find some historical background to Harringay at

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/51/harringay

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the info, but I meant fans memories. My father doesn't recall much of Hull Angels' days at Hedon, 1948-49. There was zip to do in Hull on Saturday nites back then, some say nothing has changed. Being the youngest he would tag along with his brothers and sisters as it was their big nite out, sadly non-one kept programmes or bought mags of the day. Whereas in addition to proggies, 'Stars, 'Mails, Speedway Supporter (remember that), 5-1 magazines, Speedway Express, etc I kept almost all re-entry vouchers and even car park tickets from Hull Vikings' days at the Boulevard and Craven Park.

The Hedon site was ploughed over a few years ago, the Boulevard was levelled in 2009ish and Craven Park squared off at one end, turns 3 & 4,a few years back. So there is next to no tangible evidence speedway ever existed in Hull, certainly nothing physical that I'm aware of. And it will probably surprise no one to learn the sport will almost certainly not be represented in the Hull 2017 City Of Culture. Don't get me started on that subject....

I always know when we've got a new postman, or a temporary one because my magazine arrives a day late and is almost always unpicked (slightly opened) in one corner. I guess that's because it's sent in a plain brown envelope. Poor old postie must be gutted when he peeps inside the envelope and sees pictures of men dressed in leathers.......there again.....

• Like 6

VAINITY Fair has proclaimed itself as "the magazine that Donald Trump doesn't read" and added 42,000 subscribers.

So, here goes: "Speedway Star, the other magazine that Donald Trump doesn't read."

Phone lines should be buzzing shortly :neutral:

• Like 5

SS is a great read during the season and covers the results World Wide ,the moaners on her don't even buy on a weekly basis( there prerogative)yet tell you how poor it is !!!!.I enjoy it all the year round it is a good casual read in the winter months.Subscription makes it a value for money magazine comparing it with other publications.

He probably wipes his a**e on it.

The first post is far more accurate in my opinion.

Edited by Hodgy

Shocked to see The Star on sale in M&S Orbital Shopping Park north Swindon today. On closer inspection all dated September 2016!!!???

• Like 1

Shocked to see The Star on sale in M&S Orbital Shopping Park north Swindon today. On closer inspection all dated September 2016!!!???

Let's hope it's not like the Don McLean song......'The Day Swindon Speedway Died'!

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 1

Is anyone else in the country having problems with postal deliveries of their Star or is it just areas of West Central Scotland? I used to get mine on a Thursday, now it's any day up to Tuesday. I phoned Pinegen and was told subsription copies went out First Class on Wednesday. I phoned Royal Mail and was told First Class didn't mean day delivery and it could be up to ten days. The woman at R.M. said that the delivery contract was between R.M. and S.S. and my complaint was with S.S. It is on sale on Thursday in a supermarket five miles from me. :blink::unsure:

Edited by tyretrax

Is anyone else in the country having problems with postal deliveries of their Star or is it just areas of West Central Scotland? I used to get mine on a Thursday, now it's any day up to Tuesday. I phoned Pinegen and was told subsription copies went out First Class on Wednesday. I phoned Royal Mail and was told First Class didn't mean day delivery and it could be up to ten days. The woman at R.M. said that the delivery contract was between R.M. and S.S. and my complaint was with S.S. It is on sale on Thursday in a supermarket five miles from me. :blink::unsure:

SORRY you are having problems with delivery of your Speedway Star. Think that Royal Mail are simply passing the buck. Nothing we can do beyond paying for a first class service and hoping that Royal Mail literally deliver.

• Like 1

Think it must be your Postman,I'm East Scotland get it Fri latest every week.

Ps

My subscription ran out last week ,phone Monday morning and renewed it,they stuck last weeks In the Post for me and I got it on Tuesday morning.