British Speedway Forum

The Greatest Riders

I agree with that. It would have been a big surprise if Persson had won and he would probably be ranked quite low in the all-time list of World Champions, but I don't think it would have been seen as anything like as big a shock as Jerzy S winning it. Persson was a good rider and could beat the best on his day.

1972 Wembley - Ivan Mauger v Bernt Persson World Championship run-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WLb7Znpb8

Thanks for that gustix

It's amazing the amount of interest the 1972 World Final run-off between Ivan Mauger and Bernt Persson has generated, but I agree it is all most interesting.

Ivan Mauger totally out psyched Persson at the Gate. He beat him even before the Tapes went up - Ivan was tha Master of starting gate tactics.

I'm glad Ivan won. I wasn't a great fan of the Great Man but I was really pleased that Persson didn't win after what he did to Briggo.

Ivan Mauger totally out psyched Persson at the Gate. He beat him even before the Tapes went up - Ivan was tha Master of starting gate tactics.

I'm glad Ivan won. I wasn't a great fan of the Great Man but I was really pleased that Persson didn't win after what he did to Briggo.

I have often thought that even though Ivan was the master of psyching people out at the gate he was such a good gater.For me he would of coped easily with the new tape rule now in my memory i can never remember Ivan ever rearing at the start the best gater along with Bob Kilby that i have seen live.
  • Like 2

I have often thought that even though Ivan was the master of psyching people out at the gate he was such a good gater.For me he would of coped easily with the new tape rule now in my memory i can never remember Ivan ever rearing at the start the best gater along with Bob Kilby that i have seen live.

Ivan has often been quoted that he would have mastered any starting procedure. He rode for years on the continent when a no touching rule was in place and made most of his starts (years before the regulation was imposed in Britain). Which rider had most difficulty in coping with the then new ruling? Probably Erik Gundersen. The best gaters are those who invariably keep their front wheels on the ground and, as you say, Bob Kilby was one of the best!

Edited by steve roberts

Here is an advance warning! I have compiled a new list of riders for the 1949-68 as shown in message 37, based on comments made by fellow BSF members and mown revised opinions.

It shows not only revised placings but also sees new inclusions to replace Alan Hunt, Arthur Forrest, Graham Warren, Dick Bradley, Geoff Mardon and Ron Johnston.

And I promise - no matter what opinions may be made by BSF colleagues or myself on further thinking in regard to my new list, I will NOT make a second revised list. :unsure:

Edited by Guest

1972 Wembley - Ivan Mauger v Bernt Persson World Championship run-off:

Wonderful to see black leathers, race bibs, helmet colours - and no gardening at the tapes

• Like 2

Wonderful to see black leathers, race bibs, helmet colours - and no gardening at the tapes

Loved the old leathers Red, also loved the Red,Blue,White,Yellow/Black helmet colours.😅
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone who has contributed. There are some fascinating lists but sadly not composing within the tabulation that I thought provided the main strategic speedway eras. Under that structure I was hoping to compose fuller tables for these eras based on BSF member lists. I have no doubt that I can still use lists already provided and provide eventually a grand finale of what has been posted by members. Please see the quote in regard to what I have suggested as the baseline for a 'grand final'!

Thank you everyone who has contributed. There are some fascinating lists but sadly not composing within the tabulation that I thought provided the main strategic speedway eras. Under that structure I was hoping to compose fuller tables for these eras based on BSF member lists. I have no doubt that I can still use lists already provided and provide eventually a grand finale of what has been posted by members. Please see the quote in regard to what I have suggested as the baseline for a 'grand final'!

Here is my list for the period 1928-1949:

(1) Jack Parker

(2) Lionel Van Praag

(3) Jack Milne

(4) Arthur 'Bluey' Wilkinson

(5) Eric Langton

(6) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(7) Cordy Milne

(8) Vic Huxley

(9) Bill Kitchen

(10) Tom Farndon

(11) Vic Duggan

(12) Tommy Price

(13) Ron Johnson

(14) Dickie Case

(15) Jack Ormston

(16) Frank Charles

(17) Ginger Lees

(18) Aub Lawson

(19) Harold 'Tiger' Stevenson

(20) Lloyd 'Sprouts" Elder

Eras to come -

1949-1968

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Very good list. Jack Parker was head and tails above anybody else in that era what with the match race wins(Parker's Pension) and world finals and the Star championship.

The Star championship was a bit of a rubbish competition It's a bit of a mystery how the riders were selected for it .Then the final like 1933 when Tom Farndon won it the were 20 riders and he never met 8 of them and it was won with 3 rides .A bit better the next year with 18 riders when Jack Parker won it but still a rubbish competition as he never met half the riders and still only had three rives.

Edited by mickthemuppet

::: THIS is a revised version of the list for the period 1949-68 placed previously as message 37 in this thread on December 13, 2016:

Here is my list for the period 1949-68:

(1) Ove Fundin
(2) Barry Briggs
(3) Jack Young
(4) Vic Duggan
(5) Ronnie Moore
(6) Peter Craven
(7) Jack Parker
(8) Tommy Price
(9) Ivan Mauger
(10) Aub Lawson
(11) Igor Plechanov
(12) Ron How
(13) Olle Nygren
(14) Bjorn Knutsson
(15) Norman Parker
(16) Wilbur Lamoreaux
(17) Sverre Harrfeldt
(18) Brian Crutcher
(19) Nigel Boocock
(20) Ken McKinlay

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Edited by Guest

::: THIS is a revised version of the list for the period 1949-68 placed previously as message 37 in this thread on December 13, 2016:

Here is my list for the period 1949-68:

(1) Ove Fundin

(2) Barry Briggs

(3) Jack Young

(4) Vic Duggan

(5) Ronnie Moore

(6) Peter Craven

(7) Jack Parker

(8) Tommy Price

(9) Ivan Mauger

(10) Aub Lawson

(11) Igor Plechanov

(12) Ron How

(13) Olle Nygren

(14) Bjorn Knutsson

(15) Norman Parker

(16) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(17) Sverre Harrfeldt

(18) Brian Crutcher

(19) Nigel Boocock

(20) Ken McKinlay

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

How can you exclude from this list Freddie Williams a double world champion and runner up as well. Interesting that you put 4 Wembley riders above him

How can you exclude from this list Freddie Williams a double world champion and runner up as well. Interesting that you put 4 Wembley riders above him

I agree MTM - there must be a place for Freddie who was one of my heroes.

The List is excellent apart from that - I would have to drop McKinley or Boocock in order to fit Williams in. I would have him a lot higher up the List too - certainly in the top fifteen bearing in mind that both of his World Championships were won at Wembley, his Home Track.

Bit strange i would say to include Lammy in 1949-1968 period when he only rode in the first year and ok he qualified for the world final,but 4 other riders finished ahead of him in that final and 3 others in the NL averages

1920s/1930s: Jack Milne, Bluey Wilkinson, Tom Farndon, Lionel Van Praag, Vic Huxley

1940s/1950s: Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Jack Young

1960s/1970s: Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Ole Olsen, Peter Collins, Bjorn Knutsson

1980s/1990s: Hans Nielsen, Erik Gundersen, Bruce Penhall, Michael Lee, Jan O Pedersen

2000s/2010s: Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Tomasz Gollob

All the best

Rob

Fundin won 3 of his world championships in the 1960's - cant leave him off that list