British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midget

Your Team An What You Expect In 2017....

For me at Workington.....

1= Craig Cook = best rider in the league an I expect pretty much the same for 2017, be great to have heat 13 & 15 covered. Probably our first out an out number 1 since Stoney.

2 = Mason Campton = just don't see what the promotion see in him to give him chance after chance. For me he thinks he's better than he actually is an I see no change. Another season around the 4/4.5 average wise.

3 = Ty Proctor = quite shocked he's included after last season events, but I'll take it, decent rider who should kick on, improve his average an challenge our top 2.

4 = Adam Roynon = had a steady 2016 with a few glimpses of the rider we all know he can be. I'm not sure he'll ever be a 8+ rider again but I think after a steady season last year he can put a point on his starting average.

5 = Thomas Jorgenson = great signing, rides our track really well and is also a racer. One to watch for next year an will improve his average.

6 = Matt Williamson = has improved every year and that will continue next year, can get out the gate well an Could replace campton in the main body.

7 = Rob Shuttleworth = must admit I know very little about rob. No pressure should be on him so let's hope he enjoys his racing, gain experience and improves throughout the season.

So I don't think it will be the comets best season but I don't think it will be our worste either. Should do well at home, I dare I say it.....pretty much the same away from home costing us a play off place.

Happy new year everyone and enjoy your speedway in 2017!

• Like 6

Glasgow for me -

1 Aaron Summers - was a wee bit disappointing last season , especially away from home , but was dogged much of the time with engine problems and hopefully he has better luck in that department in 2017 . Will certainly maintain his average over the season .

2 Richard Lawson - you know what to expect from Richard , brilliant gater who is reliable for double figures at home . He can sometimes disappear during away meetings after starting strongly , nevertheless another who will comfortably average 8.5 to 9 this coming season .

3 Richie Worrall - rider of the year at Glasgow in 2016 , no reason to suspect he hasn't stopped improving , confident he'll establish himself in the number 1 racejacket as the season progresses .

4 Nike Lunna - Mr Entertainment last season , lit up many a dull encounter with his never say die efforts after gating poorly . Improves on his gating he'll put a couple of points on his average , though a part of me hopes he doesn't improve his gating too much .

5 Dan Bewley - his progress during last season was breath taking . From looking out of his depth early on , to beating opposition heat leaders home and away before his season ended prematurely . On a 3.9 average he's a steal , and how much he adds to that could determine how successful we are .

6 Tom Perry - could be one of the best reserves in the league if he stays injury free , certainly he's impressed round Ashfield on a few occasions in the past . Big season for him

7 Jack Smith - can see him being much the same as Dan Bewley was last year , will take time to find his feet no doubt , but with support behind him i'm confident he'll do okay .

• Like 2

Jack Holder 7.16 - Big season for Jack, he is easily a 9.00 man at home, as one of the most impressive visitors I've seen in a long time, away from home will need to be more consistent but I predict a 8.50 finishing average.

Simon Lambert 5.25 - Tough one to call, will Simon come back and ride like he did before his injury? If so, a great signing, as when he has a stint at reserve should bang in the points home and away again. I think a slight increase 5.75.

Paul Starke 6.62 - honestly believe this is a very shrewd signing, will probably be one of our better riders away from home and I think after a few meetings will be solid at home. 7.50

Kenneth Hansen 6.75 - Mr entertainer around the showground and can beat anyone around the EOES. Away from home though will really need to improve, think his average will be counter balanced between a brilliant home average to a rather on par away average. 7.00 maybe

Ully Ostergaard - 7.14 - after a very dissapointing end of season, he has a point to prove as not many wanted him back. At home he can be brilliant, away from home solid but last season his flymos returned and this season we need Ully to step up! 8.00 hopefully!

Tom Bacon - 2.00 - looks like one of the better 2.00 on paper, I've only seen him ride once and have to say impressed then, I think tom will do well given time, don't go expecting miracles straight away but I think will average 3.50

BWD - 5.02 - this signing really excites me and something different. We are one of the only teams to build this way and it's good to be different. If BWD starts off as we think he should, he will be scoring double figures at most places. A stylish rider and exciting to watch. I think a big season for Bradley so 6.50

Ipswich

1)Danny - so much more than just a great number 1. Super professional in his set up and approach. Great captain and role model too. Expect him to push towards a 10 pt ave.

2) Cam - has been a bit of an enigma. Oodles of talent but plagued by his wrist injuries. Needs to concentrate on his preparation and mental outlook. Could add 2+ to his average if things go well but expect a point increase at worst.

3) Rory - every Witches fan is dreaming of Rory pushing Danny for the No1 spot. Probably not realistic given what he has been through but who knows. Would be disappointed with anything less than a point increase.

4) Kyle - similar to Cam re injuries hampering his progress so another that could add 2 but expect no less than 1 point increase.

5)Nico - biggest issue for him is also preparation. Prone to the odd lapse that should be within his control. 100% trier and gets you on the edge of your seat. Fans favourite and easy to see why. Average wise dont expect anymore that half a point increase.

6)Danyon - whole hearted racer who lifted the atmosphere when introduced last year. Level headed and seems to want to listen and learn from those around him. Would be disappointed if he didnt average 4 by the end of the year.

7)Connor - I have limited knowledge of him but didnt look out if his depth in his outing last year. Those with much greater knowledge than me of the NL riders seem to rate him ahead of Danyon though which hopefully is a good sign for us. Nasty injury ended his season so just how complete his recovery has been could determine his progress. Anything over his 2 point starting ave would be a success IMO but he could spring a big surprise.

Optimistic that we will be right up there challenging but never take anything for granted - we have flattered to deceive all too often!

Glasgow.

I'd like to expect:

1. The boys to gel as a team

2. Help each other

3. The more experienced to help the less so

4. Fight for one another

5. Never accept being behind the other team's rider in a race

6. Give it their best to entertain the fans

7. Enjoy the season and show it to the crowd.

• Like 2

Sheffield

(1) Josh Grajczonek, a good number 1 who will mix it with the best and knows how to win titles and has captained a winning team.

(2) Kyle Howarth, kicked on last season and should started the season full of confidence.

(3) Lasse Bjerre, on a false average rides Owlerton really well expect him to put big figures on his average.

(4) Todd Kurtz, surprise signing, not quite sure what to expect, but he is making all the right noises, could be a match winner away from home.

(5) Josh Bates, had a poor season for us last season, but on that starting average he is a steal, I really think that he will male some big progress this season.

(6) Rob Branford, potentially one of the best reserves in the league, made superb progress last season.

(7) Jack Parkinson Blackburn, going to stick my neck out and say that he will be the best rider coming in on a 2 point average, the lad has until now not been allowed to ride in the Premier League due to his age, the potential is there 4th in the British Under 21 Championship and later on in the season 19 from 21 points at Eastbourne (his team only scored 38) for me underlines that potential.

If we can steer clear of the injures that have blighted our last two season I see abolute no reason why we can not be in the top 4.

• Like 2

Ipswich

1)Danny - so much more than just a great number 1. Super professional in his set up and approach. Great captain and role model too. Expect him to push towards a 10 pt ave.

2) Cam - has been a bit of an enigma. Oodles of talent but plagued by his wrist injuries. Needs to concentrate on his preparation and mental outlook. Could add 2+ to his average if things go well but expect a point increase at worst.

3) Rory - every Witches fan is dreaming of Rory pushing Danny for the No1 spot. Probably not realistic given what he has been through but who knows. Would be disappointed with anything less than a point increase.

4) Kyle - similar to Cam re injuries hampering his progress so another that could add 2 but expect no less than 1 point increase.

5)Nico - biggest issue for him is also preparation. Prone to the odd lapse that should be within his control. 100% trier and gets you on the edge of your seat. Fans favourite and easy to see why. Average wise dont expect anymore that half a point increase.

6)Danyon - whole hearted racer who lifted the atmosphere when introduced last year. Level headed and seems to want to listen and learn from those around him. Would be disappointed if he didnt average 4 by the end of the year.

7)Connor - I have limited knowledge of him but didnt look out if his depth in his outing last year. Those with much greater knowledge than me of the NL riders seem to rate him ahead of Danyon though which hopefully is a good sign for us. Nasty injury ended his season so just how complete his recovery has been could determine his progress. Anything over his 2 point starting ave would be a success IMO but he could spring a big surprise.

Optimistic that we will be right up there challenging but never take anything for granted - we have flattered to deceive all too often!

Agree with all the above, good analysis, lots of people trying to burst the positivity in the witches camp but I think injury free we have every reason to be excited about our chances!!

Nico taking a break this winter rather than riding all off season back home (first time he's done this since he came to Europe) too so hopefully man and machine will return feeling fresh and ready for the new season!

• Like 1

From a scunthorpe point of view I expect them to entertain me on a weekly basis. Can't see them losing to many at home but do see lots of closely fought meetings which could go either way happiness is 46/44.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong (and no doubt you will), but the most obvious prediction is that the majority of riders will increase their GS average in 2017.

With an unchanged 90 points available at each meeting, a mid table team, for example, should be accumulating 45. But with the team aggregate being set at 40 this year (ie the expected team total for a match), there are more points 'available' above this expectation. Last year, with the team-building aggregate set at 42.5, there was still an excess......... but this has now doubled !

So the good riders will find it easier to raise their starting average and the weaker riders will find it easier to maintain theirs. This will make team-building for 2018 even harder and several 2017 individual successes will become victims of the 'numbers game' and find themselves without a 2018 team position.

Let's hope that this doesn't lead to manipulation of averages by faking poor performances in late season matches, either by the rider himself or under his team manager's instruction, in order to make 2018 employment more likely.

So, my prediction is that, by late summer, the majority of riders will have increased their average. Then matters will become depressingly interesting.

For me Sheffield have put a really nice side together a nice balance.Really good reserves a good no 1 who will replace Steady Bjerre/Bates who can really improve.Also Howarth is also very capable Sheffield, Ipswich are the two teams i like the look of.

I think most of the predictions above are accurate except for those who are expecting an average increase from both reserves. That may be possible in the stronger teams if the main body riders are taking the pressure off but most sides will be swapping the reserves about all night to favour the stronger rider and most likely one will take 5 rides and the other get 3.

Interestingly/irritatingly the three that might be affected most are the three who were in most demand Smith, JPB & Bacon.

MAYBE a new rule needs to be introduced where all the number 7,s get a full set of programmed of rides in the meeting (4) so the development of 7,s can take off . no more 3 rides only shot . let the young and not so young have a full meeting of rides .. for the sake of British and not so British young un,s ............

• Like 2

MAYBE a new rule needs to be introduced where all the number 7,s get a full set of programmed of rides in the meeting (4) so the development of 7,s can take off . no more 3 rides only shot . let the young and not so young have a full meeting of rides .. for the sake of British and not so British young un,s ............

make it simpler, lowest average reserve has to take a minimum of 3 rides in race where an opponent reserve is riding eg 2, 4, 8, 12 or 14. they can take more if necessary and it still lets team managers juggle as they want

• Like 1

make it simpler, lowest average reserve has to take a minimum of 3 rides in race where an opponent reserve is riding eg 2, 4, 8, 12 or 14. they can take more if necessary and it still lets team managers juggle as they want

As if speedway doesn't already make life difficult for itself by operating such a completed set of rules to begin with, no wonder it's so difficult getting more support through the turnstiles

• Like 2

As if speedway doesn't already make life difficult for itself by operating such a completed set of rules to begin with, no wonder it's so difficult getting more support through the turnstiles