British Speedway Forum
John Leslie

Future For Odsal Stadium - Bradford Rugby Go Bump Again!

Steady Iris thought police will be round to see you.

Look I'm not daft speedway cannot survive in Odsal on its own. Nor would any would be promoter just slush money down the drain trying a revival. But in a wider use Odsal that includes rugby; stocks; cycling; athletics; football; large crowd events and hospitality there is definitely a place for speedway in an area barren of it for over two decades. Crowds were poor even for an Elite League winning team but pitched at the correct level I am sure West Yorkshire speedway fans could sustain a revival.

No offence intended.For sure,if the situation is right then speedway could be held there.The multi-use idea is a possibility.A rich sponsor another

Read recently about a German womens volleyball player who plays now in Greece for Piraus.She was saying how she earns 8,000 euros a game,double what she could earn in the Bundesliga.The person interviewing her asked astonished how in a country that is pretty much broke a team that only gets 100 fans per game can afford to pay 1 player that much.The answer was there was financial backing there that wanted the club to get amongst the medals.So if a very minority sport can attract that sort of sponsorship,there is maybe hope speedway could also

Any idea how long it will take to land fill Odsal Stadium for development ? Your looking at a century and more ! Odsal Stadium is a massive asset for Bradford and surrounding district sat on the end of the motorway with ample land surrounding it. Think Veltins Arena Gelsenkirchen for the blue print.Absolute bugger all going on in the former Rheinland German mining town but the great arena home of FC SchalkeO4 rises like a citadel on the landscape. Odsal offers similar to this former great Yorkshire woollen City but no one seems to understand this. When Speedway was lost to Bradford in 1997 it was only supposed to be a temporary hiatus. Speedway was to return in 2000 in a Toronto style Skydome. That was the plan and we should have stuck with that. The spin offs economically and socially over the last two decades would have changed Bradford for the good forever. Instead all we got was a hole in the centre of the city and two decades of waste and decay.

That was a private venture, the guy made a lot of promises but he was fooling the council and had no financial backing.

There have been a few attempts to develop Odsal but all have failed. http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8065594.Odsal_takes_off_again/

The site will probably be re-developed to better meet the needs of the local community.

Here is a visualization of how the re-developed site might look:-

mosque-islam-7821549-460-345.jpg

If they get good turn-outs like this then the scheme may be rolled out across the country and a site in the north of Manchester has been ear-marked as potentially suitable.

• Like 2

The site will probably be re-developed to better meet the needs of the local community.

If they get good turn-outs like this then the scheme may be rolled out across the country and a site in the north of Manchester has been ear-marked as potentially suitable.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

You're a funny guy, just 40 or 50 years too late. :nono:

It's already started - sadly there are those who can't see it though.

We have a huge new Mosque opening soon here in Sunderland about half a mile from where I live.

There is already another Mosque in Sunderland - I wonder where the next one will be?

People need to wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late.

• Like 4

We have a huge new Mosque opening soon here in Sunderland about half a mile from where I live.

There is already another Mosque in Sunderland - I wonder where the next one will be?

Mosque, where?

Jeez, I thought it was the Trafford Centre.

:rofl:

• Like 3

That was a private venture, the guy made a lot of promises but he was fooling the council and had no financial backing.

There have been a few attempts to develop Odsal but all have failed. http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8065594.Odsal_takes_off_again/

Alan Ham showed me the Superdrome plans once when i was down. It included terraced seating which was to be moved forward for some events/sports, and wound back in when not required. Just consider the same scenario at the Olympic Stadium and West Ham, where it is reckoned to take something like 3 months to convert their stadium over to be an athletics track for the big meets. Just not practical.

• Like 1

'People need to wake up and smell the curry before it's too late'. :)

• Like 1

Wake up and smell the kaffir ?

Bernard Manning is that you?
  • Like 1

Bernard Manning is that you?

Hardly, he's been dead for years!

I used to go past his club quite a lot when I was based in that area.

Bernard-Manning-funeral-008.jpg?w=620&q=

Always, looked a bit of a dive to me but fortunately I never had to go inside.

Anyway, what has Bernard Manning got to do with the Trafford Centre?

Edited by Little Thumper

Hardly, he's been dead for years!

I used to go past his club quite a lot when I was based in that area.

Bernard-Manning-funeral-008.jpg?w=620&q=

Always, looked a bit of a dive to me but fortunately I never had to go inside.

Anyway, what has Bernard Manning got to do with the Trafford Centre?

Absolutely nothing - someone has got their PC Brigade hat on.

Is this forum full of bigot racists as well as idiots?

No! It's full of people who don't brush things under the carpet.