British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LagutaRacingFan

Do We Need A Maximum Cap On Rider Earnings In Speedway?

Jeremy Corbyn made a brilliant speech today which got me thinking about the current plight of Speedway.

I for one can't see the value in the current admission prices and i understand the struggle that promoters face with increasing costs in terms of riders who are constantly looking to purchase the best equipment so they can make it in the likes of Poland and Sweden.

A family of four are looking at spending over £40 and that's excluding food and drink, this is for a product which is sub-standard in terms of entertainment at certain tracks and between races, waiting in the cold while riders play around with equipment in the pits is hardly enthralling.

How can speedway continue to carry on like this?

If we cap earnings for the top riders, that would then bring down the costs of middle tier riders and lower tier riders, a cheaper product which is more affordable for the majority which leads to higher crowds, increased viewership and sponsors.

Edited by Morrissey Fan

Jeremy Corbyn made a brilliant speech today which got me thinking about the current plight of Speedway.

I for one can't see the value in the current admission prices and i understand the struggle that promoters face with increasing costs in terms of riders who are constantly looking to purchase the best equipment so they can make it in the likes of Poland and Sweden.

A family of four are looking at spending over £40 and that's excluding food and drink, this is for a product which is sub-standard in terms of entertainment at certain tracks and between races, waiting in the cold while riders play around with equipment in the pits is hardly enthralling.

How can speedway continue to carry on like this?

If we cap earnings for the top riders, that would then bring down the costs of middle tier riders and lower tier riders, a cheaper product which is more affordable for the majority which leads to higher crowds, increased viewership and sponsors.

Top riders get money from many different sources and in many different countries. Capping their earning here would make little difference to that and would probably drive even more of them away. It might work if you had riders who rode exclusively here but we don't currently have that. By the way, Corbyn's speech was ridiculed by many and there were even claims that he contradicted himself. I suppose one man's meat is another man's poison, would be an apt phrase.

Capping wages? Sound like left wing nonsense.

Capping wages? Sound like left wing nonsense.

Actually I think, for once, MF has a fair point. It's about sustainability and speedway can not continue along the road that it's currently going. There's just not enough money coming in to justify the costs.

Actually I think, for once, MF has a fair point. It's about sustainability and speedway can not continue along the road that it's currently going. There's just not enough money coming in to justify the costs.

It has been tried before at some levels but always fails, if a promoter wants a rider who demands more, he can simply give him more by laundering it through sponsors and the like.

• Like 2

Salary cap is useful to try to maintain a level playing field, albeit frought with practical issues.

Speedway has averages, which are a much better way to ensure a relatively even playing field.

Another enormous "red herring" for those trying to turn around the fortunes of speedway as a well supported spectator sport. Jeremy Corbyn's idea was much ridiculed, as it should be. Even in communist controlled China they long ago gave up such unworkable ideas. What speedway promoters need to do is listen to those fans who are left on the terraces, about what they would like to happen in the sport and identify what are the major turn offs for them. Otherwise the decline will continue. These ideas about fan's preferences have been well documented on forums and it is not rocket science, but the BSPA clearly want to remain in full control of the changes in direction and show that they "know best" about how to turn around speedway. All the spin in the world such as name changes of the leagues and a blind faith in one type of machinery ( instead of bringing in a mandatory and inexpensive rev limiter ) will only speed up that seemingly inevitable decline.

It has been tried before at some levels but always fails, if a promoter wants a rider who demands more, he can simply give him more by laundering it through sponsors and the like.

Yes it could be argued that when it was 'implicated' during the winter of 1992 it caused Oxford to move down a Division (the promoters couldn't agree terms with Hans Nielsen) although, to be fair, Northern Sports (who owned Oxford) were badly hit by the recession (another one under 'The Tories') and their other businesses were suffering losses. Funny, however, that Coventry were able to sign Nielsen on the pre-text that additional money thru' sponsorship would be made available. The idea, good in theory, was never and will never work in speedway although something needs to be done to curb the outgoings.

• Like 2

You are of course correct, but I don't think a salary cap is the answer. Some kind of revenue sharing between riders and clubs would be a much better arrangement in my opinion.

• Like 1

Jeremy Corbyn is a lunatic wouldn't want to go on anything he says.

Edited by phillwhitewasmad

Personally i would like to see a pay structure in place and for it to be made public. As riders averages change & their team position moves the points money is amended accordingly.

1.£5

2.£2

3.£3

4.£2

5.£4

6.£1

7.£1

Not actual values obviously but at least an incentive to try and push for the higher positions rather than guaranteed fees paid and little effort given in return.

Another enormous "red herring" for those trying to turn around the fortunes of speedway as a well supported spectator sport. Jeremy Corbyn's idea was much ridiculed, as it should be. Even in communist controlled China they long ago gave up such unworkable ideas. What speedway promoters need to do is listen to those fans who are left on the terraces, about what they would like to happen in the sport and identify what are the major turn offs for them. Otherwise the decline will continue. These ideas about fan's preferences have been well documented on forums and it is not rocket science, but the BSPA clearly want to remain in full control of the changes in direction and show that they "know best" about how to turn around speedway. All the spin in the world such as name changes of the leagues and a blind faith in one type of machinery ( instead of bringing in a mandatory and inexpensive rev limiter ) will only speed up that seemingly inevitable decline.

Forgetting, or ignoring, the fact that the complaints of the previous name and the name changes were called for by the fans. Sorry to spoil your rant.

It's a start for more standardised machinery, it's now up to the other manufacturers, JAWA and GM to try and compete. That is the waytogo.

Jeremy Corbin is a lunatic wouldn't want to go on anything he says.

Even the way he usually spells his surname!

• Like 1

someone would always cheat - nice idea but points limits are the only way - unfortunately that 'weakens' teams - i don't see that as a problem personally but some do

Personally i would like to see a pay structure in place and for it to be made public. As riders averages change & their team position moves the points money is amended accordingly.

1.£5

2.£2

3.£3

4.£2

5.£4

6.£1

7.£1

Not actual values obviously but at least an incentive to try and push for the higher positions rather than guaranteed fees paid and little effort given in return.

The thing is there would be other moving up the team to compensate so Would probably wotk out the same most clubs work to a budget and the sponsors make up the rest