British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
correy

Pairs Somerset

Well done Sheffield. I thought Summers got 3rd by half a bike in the semi-final.

I thought Summers got 3rd by half a bike in the semi-final.

That's consistent with reports of Lawson//Summers celebrating as if they'd got through, only to be denied by the ref's decision giving it to Barker third and Summers fourth.

Who was the referee?

• Like 1

It wasnt a home victory until Wright made a mistake on bend four ;lap 3

Howarth then passed him and locked him on the inside for Bjerre to fly around both of them.

The Sheffield pair then kept Wright at the back and Wright fell trying to split them on the third / fourth bend.

So it wasnt the track that gave the Sheffield the win, it was a mistake by Wright and some great riding from Howarth

Hope Wright is OK

I think you perfectly summed up the meeting, this was not a walk in the park for Sheffield, and we had to work very hard for the wiin.

And don't forget we are the only team in the league to have an unblemished home record this season.

The Redcar pairing overall over the meeting were the best and most consistent pairing for the majority of the meeting.

That's consistent with reports of Lawson//Summers celebrating as if they'd got through, only to be denied by the ref's decision giving it to Barker third and Summers fourth.

Who was the referee?

Stuart Wilson.

Shocking refereeing display.

What should have been a Scunthorpe / Glasgow final turned into a Sheffield / Redcar one.

Referee bottled excluding a Sheffield rider in both the semi-final and final.

Hope Charles Wright is OK.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

Who was the referee?

I stand more or less on the start line and was surprised when Glasgow started celebrating - I didn't think it was that close. It was obviously close, but didn't think the result was in doubt Edited by Cue Ball

Not surprised with a home victory. Poor crowd by all accounts, not surprised as the locals have got a joke meeting to attend tomorrow. But if they held it on a neutral track the crowd would be even lower. No one cares about these meetings anymore.

They were going to hold it on a neutral track, but it was rained off.

The crowd would have been great at Somerset, it always is on that night.

• Like 1

What should have been a Scunthorpe / Glasgow final turned into a Sheffield / Redcar one.

All the best

Rob

You normally talk a lot of sense... but on this occasion I would have to disagree. Bjerre was in front of Josh and turned when he got to the corner, don't know what else he could have done. Summers finished 4th, which meant Redcar got a 6-3 and deservedly reached the final

All the best

Rob

Were you actually at the meeting?

All the best

Rob

How are those grapes tasting down the bottom end of the table?

Never seen so much poop on a forum post.

Edited by Walton

You normally talk a lot of sense... but on this occasion I would have to disagree. Bjerre was in front of Josh and turned when he got to the corner, don't know what else he could have done. Summers finished 4th, which meant Redcar got a 6-3 and deservedly reached the final

He could have given Josh enough room to turn the bike. Josh had raced into a gap that was there, only for Bjerre to completely take that gap away, by moving across. In my book, that makes Bjerre the cause of the stoppage. Sheffield were lucky to get a re-run in the first place, as Bjerre was completely out of it first time around.

I had a good view of the incident of the first semi-final, from the third/fourth bend. I had a much poorer view of the tight finish to the second semi, but one of the track photographers caught the moment perfectly... showing Summers in third as they crossed the line.

Fair play to Sheffield on riding their luck, and I hope Charles Wright is OK.

All the best

Rob

They were going to hold it on a neutral track, but it was rained off.

The crowd would have been great at Somerset, it always is on that night.

As you rightly say "on that night". But any other night of the year the crowd would be considerably lower. And let's face it, Somerset is a neutral track this season, but the locals probably still regard themselves as 2nd division fans.

• Like 1

To win an event or a league you need a little luck,and Sheffield had lady luck on their side yesterday,but were deserved winners

i get a bit sick of the home advantage thing,sure we had a home pair winning but at end of the day,home or not, you still have to win it

Sheffield have been the stand out team this year and deserving of their Silverware in the league and the pairs

• Like 4

The choice is simple:

Either,

1) accept that someone will have home advantage and put up with a few undeserved home track winners

or

2) live without these events (except one at Somerset on GP eve) as the BSPA will not want to continue staging money losing meetings.

howarth and wright came together due to ben barker slowing it down,if ben had got his head down and gone on,they might have took the title cos wrighty might have got the better of lasse,but what a tremendous race that was by all four riders.

Certainly was the way we all saw it, Barker slowed up, and Howarth and Wright were totally committed, awful looking crash.

Glasgow stormed their first three races and then let the Scunthorpe pair win their last, presumably to avoid Sheffield in the semis but Redcar looked dangerous after a poor start, so it was a gamble.

Racing was a lot better towards the end, first 12 races were mostly from the gate with the inside giving a massive advantage.

I thought the crowd was poor.

I thought the crowd was poor.

What by virtue of....

1. Their behaviour?

2. Them being paupers?

Sorry, you mean their total numbers. Time for my taxi. :P