British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Do You Remember The 70's & 80's When Uk Teams Signed Unknown Foreigners? Some Good, Most Were Pants!

I greatly admire anyone who can reel the names off of rubbish foreigners from the 1970's. :lol: Afraid I can't do that although I've no doubt watched plenty of them over the years. The only foreigners that have stuck in my memory as being pretty awful for Coventry are Daniel Davidson and Brian Yarrow but that is more recent. There was another but I can't spell his name, otherwise known as 'Roadblock' so he must have done okay if no-one dare pass him. :P

What was your greatest County Ground memory :ray.?

watching steve masters kicking vaclav verner telling him to get up but unfortunately vaclav had broke his leg or hip cant quite remember which.not funny at the time poole withdrew masters from the meeting after that .and also never a world champion watching richard green on a speedway bike what a racer. ivan was a icon in the seventies.youcan go on forever

watching steve masters kicking vaclav verner telling him to get up but unfortunately vaclav had broke his leg or hip cant quite remember which.not funny at the time poole withdrew masters from the meeting after that .and also never a world champion watching richard green on a speedway bike what a racer. ivan was a icon in the seventies.youcan go on forever

Remember going to a Mildenhall v Exeter meeting in 1992 . You wouldn't expect Exeter to be anything special round Mildenhall , and mostly you'd be correct . However Richard Green was the exception , he was brilliant that day , amassing 19 points .

My own team , Glasgow , never had a great record round the County Ground . Indeed we suffered a few embarrassing thrashings , though Robert Nagy ,and to a lesser extent , Shane Bowes had a liking for the place

• Like 1

Oxford signed Helge Langli who could have made it (he did beat Ray Wilson in one memorable ride at Cowley I recall) but he picked up an injury off track and never re-appeared...more's the pity! Of course his brother, Tormod, appeared at Newport and was more than useful when he, too, was injured off track (hand-gliding accident).

Coventry signed East German Gerhard Ullenbrock on the recommendation of one Garry Middleton. Matti Olin (Finland) was also another 'Bees' capture.

Edited by steve roberts

I think Streety gave Bowsie some advice.. Streety said Bowsie was the kind of rider he liked..... he listened. :t:

Edited by tyretrax

Oxford signed Helge Langli who could have made it (he did beat Ray Wilson in one memorable ride at Cowley I recall) but he picked up an injury off track and never re-appeared...more's the pity! Of course his brother, Tormod, appeared at Newport and was more than useful when he, too, was injured off track (hand-gliding accident).

Coventry signed East German Gerhard Ullenbrock on the recommendation of one Garry Middleton. Matti Olin (Finland) was also another 'Bees' capture.

Ulf Lovaas Conny Samuelsson what is your opinion of those two Steve.?
  • Like 1

Henrik Glucklich,Kjelle Gimre, Hassie Dannielsson, Knud Ellegaard, Leif Berlin,Larry Kosta,Kurt Hansen, Stanislav Urban,Joseph Angermuller,Les Liesk,Adi Funk,a few that bring back memories.

few Wolves there but disagree that Hasse Danielsson was pants so must be good then

Ulf Lovaas Conny Samuelsson what is your opinion of those two Steve.?

Ulf was one of my early heroes...took a while to get going but towards the end of the 74 season was really flying. Shame he never rode again in Britain after that (His wife gave birth to twins if I remember).

Never saw Conny ride but remember my brother saying that he was less than impressive round Cowley but a revelation on some of the bigger circuits (Swindon and Coventry for example). Another rider who never re-appeared in Britain and I'm surprised some enterprising promoter didn't give him a second chance. He excelled at Ice Speedway and appeared twice (?) on the rostrum in the World Championship in that particular discipline.

Edited by steve roberts

Tormod must've had hands like shovels to go hand gliding

Just that the shovels weren't big enough

• Like 1

Tormod must've had hands like shovels to go hand gliding

Just that the shovels weren't big enough

Strewth...did I really type that! Of course I should have written Hang gliding!

• Like 1

few Wolves there but disagree that Hasse Danielsson was pants so must be good then

I totally agree "Red Flag" Danielsson was a very promising rider indeed not all the riders listed were poor not at all.

I totally agree "Red Flag" Danielsson was a very promising rider indeed not all the riders listed were poor not at all.

Did okay for 'The Brummies' as well.

I do remember in 84 for Reading Malc popping out the start in heat 8 and winning and beating Frank Andersen and another??I never went to Exeter in the 69/70/71/72 seasons but first went in 73 to see Autrey.It was such a shock to see as a young lad with the track shape and all the streets behind remember it well.I would imagine Ashby/Kilby would be up there with the best around the county ground even though both said they were not totally in love with the track.Holden (bless him was decent there) also Farrell and Maxfield were two i enjoyed watching.

In '84 it could have been Louis Carr. I used to have all the programmes but don't have them now. I might look at my speedway stars to see who it was. Carr rode at 2 for us in a short spell that year & beat no less than Hans Nielsen on his debut! Ashby & Kilby were just before my time, but friends sat that Kilb in particular was an expert at the CG, whilst Crash had his best season ever when he joined the Falcons under the old rider control system, even though I don't think he liked it there very much!

Holden was never a star at Exeter, but seemed to be destined for great things in 1977 until he died so tragically, so we will never know.

Farrell was a real racer, but injuries held him back & he fell away after he left Exeter whilst Robert Maxfield was a real favourite with Exeter fans.

In '84 it could have been Louis Carr. I used to have all the programmes but don't have them now. I might look at my speedway stars to see who it was. Carr rode at 2 for us in a short spell that year & beat no less than Hans Nielsen on his debut! Ashby & Kilby were just before my time, but friends sat that Kilb in particular was an expert at the CG, whilst Crash had his best season ever when he joined the Falcons under the old rider control system, even though I don't think he liked it there very much!

Holden was never a star at Exeter, but seemed to be destined for great things in 1977 until he died so tragically, so we will never know.

Farrell was a real racer, but injuries held him back & he fell away after he left Exeter whilst Robert Maxfield was a real favourite with Exeter fans.

I was there...if I recall Ivan Mauger ran a last in the same race?

In '84 it could have been Louis Carr. I used to have all the programmes but don't have them now. I might look at my speedway stars to see who it was. Carr rode at 2 for us in a short spell that year & beat no less than Hans Nielsen on his debut!

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/docs/exeter/1984.pdf

Carr had a couple of meetings under his belt before he beat Nielsen.