British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Do You Remember The 70's & 80's When Uk Teams Signed Unknown Foreigners? Some Good, Most Were Pants!

back in the 60's Newport signed the Wonderful Einar egedius, and movin closer 2004 in fact Newport signed a rider who was going to swweep all before ,came with a great pedigree,the wonderful Dawid Kujawa ( what a Flop )

wolves signed a rider called torben hansen in the late 80s , he looked the part but what I remember he was miles off the pace ,he did 7 meetings and got an average of 0.40. in the 90s when I was riding at stoke we signed a dane called Fredrick Petersen I think his name was , he turned up at press and practice with no bikes and looked a bit bemused by it all , I think on a bit of a scout mission they had heard of a young dane called Fredrick Petersen that was worth a go but they got the wrong guy , he is on the press team photos but never turned a wheel for the potters

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

Ingar Hvamstad at Poole was no world beater!

Not sure he beat anyone.

in the 90s when I was riding at stoke we signed a dane called Fredrick Petersen I think his name was , he turned up at press and practice with no bikes and looked a bit bemused by it all , I think on a bit of a scout mission they had heard of a young dane called Fredrick Petersen that was worth a go but they got the wrong guy , he is on the press team photos but never turned a wheel for the potters

😂😂😂 superb, if it wasn't speedway I would've said you just made that up

Egon Muller never did much in two away fixtures for Coatbridge Tigers in the early seventies , and he ended up World Champion :shock:

Egon Muller never did much in two away fixtures for Coatbridge Tigers in the early seventies , and he ended up World Champion :shock:

One of those i think was at the Abbey i have the programme he scored 0.Jimmy Mac/Beaton were the hitters for Coatbridge Gifford rode as well i think. Edited by Sidney the robin

One of those i think was at the Abbey i have the programme he scored 0.Jimmy Mac/Beaton were the hitters for Coatbridge Gifford rode as well i think.

Not sure about Gifford , he would still have been at Hull then . After the 73 season the licences were switched , Coatbridge dropped down and acquired Dave Gifford and Eddie Argall , while Hull moved up and Jimmy McMillan and Bobby Beaton went there .

Edited by Paulco

Ingar Hvamstad at Poole was no world beater!

Not sure he beat anyone.

That was the lad that killed himself wasn't it? I remember him.

Not sure about Gifford , he would still have been at Hull then . After the 73 season the licences were switched , Coatbridge dropped down and acquired Dave Gifford and Eddie Argall , while Hull moved up and Jimmy McMillan and Bobby Beaton went there .

In 73 Gifford rode i think 22 meetings for Coatbridge Muller had the two poor meetings and none of us would envisage that he would be WC in 1983.!!!

Dave Gifford doubled up with Coatbridge and Hull in 1974, last rode for the Vikings Hull on 31 July during the infamous Hull v Belle Vue match. He after agreed with the Aces riders that the extremely wet Hull track was unridable after 4 heats (resulting in the record 60-9 home win), however the rereree had deemed the track ridable and so Gifford was sacked on the spot ! He spent the remainder of the season at Coatbridge.

I cannot comment as it was the week after the match in question that my parents decided I was old enough to attend speedway alone, which I was more than happy to do as several school friends were already regular fans. It wasn't uncommon for kids to go to speedway by themselves being dropped off and picked up in the knowledge no harm would come to them, it's still the same nowadays. Bobby Beaton rode for Hull until speedway closed at the Boulevard end of 1981 while Jimmy Mcmillan spent one more season at Hull, moving to Wolves making way for the rider control allocated Ole Olsen. But that's another story....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

Dave Gifford doubled up with Coatbridge and Hull in 1974, last rode for the Vikings Hull on 31 July during the infamous Hull v Belle Vue match. He after agreed with the Aces riders that the extremely wet Hull track was unridable after 4 heats (resulting in the record 60-9 home win), however the rereree had deemed the track ridable and so Gifford was sacked on the spot ! He spent the remainder of the season at Coatbridge.

I cannot comment as it was the week after the match in question that my parents decided I was old enough to attend speedway alone, which I was more than happy to do as several school friends were already regular fans. It wasn't uncommon for kids to go to speedway by themselves being dropped off and picked up in the knowledge no harm would come to them, it's still the same nowadays. Bobby Beaton rode for Hull until speedway closed at the Boulevard end of 1981 while Jimmy Mcmillan spent one more season at Hull, moving to Wolves making way for the rider control allocated Ole Olsen. But that's another story....

...and of course the late Josef Angermuller rode for 'The Vikings' during their introduction to top level speedway in 1974.

In 73 Gifford rode i think 22 meetings for Coatbridge Muller had the two poor meetings and none of us would envisage that he would be WC in 1983.!!!

Cheers guys , it was a long time ago and was going by memory , was only 14 in 1973 and still went to the speedway with my dad . Remember being distraught when we dropped down a league as Jimmy Mac was my hero and it was unthinkable to me for him to be riding for anyone else but the Tigers . But I soon got used to life in division 2 especially when the likes of Mitch Shirra , Mick McKeon and Merv Janke arrived to entertain us .

• Like 1