British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

The Great Entertainers.

Steve Gresham was a frustrating rider for me a real tough man and rider.He showed in the England v Usa tests he could compete against the best but he never pushed on.In 81 the Holloway/Gresham partnership was one of the best we have ever had even got 5/1s against the Collins/Grahame partnership which took some doing.Gresh had a reputation but everyone i have spoke to said he was a really nice bloke i only met him once and i can second that.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I would also add Andrew Silver,at least in his NL days.And it thought the trio of Roger Johns,Mike Ferreira and jamie Luckhurst were pretty entertaining at Plough Lane

Thommo, Plechy, Moggo and 'The Great Galvini' used to light up many a night at Waterden Road.

What about Banger,Biggs,Gooch,"Terry?

They were a little before my time Sidney. My first speedway memory is of a rider in yellow leathers winning practically every race.

I'm sure it would have been Dag Lovaas in 74

• Like 1

A national league favourite of mine a real racer was John Jackson also Derek Harrison at Milton Keynes was very exciting to watch.

Was that the John Jackson of Crewe 'Kings' fame Sid?

Great Rider if so - along with Phil Crump, Dai Evans Gary Flood et al.

They were a little before my time Sidney. My first speedway memory is of a rider in yellow leathers winning practically every race.

I'm sure it would have been Dag Lovaas in 74

I can remember Dag in those leathers and he wore a little red hat like Scottish colours that always make i chuckle

😆

I can remember Dag in those leathers and he wore a little red hat like Scottish colours that always make i chuckle

Wore those leathers when he joined 'The Rebels' in 1975 but soon changed them to a red, white & blue design that were passed onto Tom Godel when Dag prematurely retired.

In no particular order : Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Bruce Penhall, Alan Emerson, Kelly Moran, Denis Sigalos, Kenny Carter, Tony Rickardsson, Alan Mogridge, Andreas Jonsson.

In no order - Phil crump, Peter collins, frank smart, Neil collins, Stuart Robson, Ronnie Moore, toby harrysson,

• Like 1

Alan Wilkinson...cruelly paralysed but was a whole hearted trier and entertainer. Remember when on a visit to Cowley he came storming out of the pits and ripped the starting tapes out of their sockets! You can imagine the fans reaction...but pure theatre!

The top riders who couldn't gate were always good for a bit of entertainment as they fought their way through from the back - Jack Young, Peter Craven, Peter Collins, Mark Loram.

Edited by norbold