British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

"unlucky" Riders, Always In The Wrong Place, At The Wrong Time.

I seem to recall Mike Farrell of Exeter and Leicester always seemed to get injured far too often. I don't remember seeing him actually ride though.

I remember him going straight through the pit bend fence at Plough Lane...

Steve

Eric Broadbelt often spent at least part of a season injured, in the 1980 Yearbook Peter Oakes stated that it was pleasing to report that he was ever present for Sheffield in 1979. Maybe he went for gaps that weren't always there, but very often his falls resulted in a hospital trip, as opposed to being able to get back up after a few minutes.

• Like 1

On the subject of unlucky riders, what about Jason Crump. 5 silver medals in the World Championship series.

3 times behind Tony Rickardson, 01, 02, and 05. and twice behind that man Pedersen, 03 and 08.

He did manage to win it three times inbetween, with two other third places, once third behind Pedersen and

Leigh Adams i think. Still remarkable achievement; podium finish 10 years running.

And what could have been for Darcy Ward? So much wanted to see him, Woofinden, Sayfutdinov and the young Poles

go at it.

I always like Leigh Adams - a superb Rider to watch - he made Speedway look so easy.

Sad he never made World Champion - still up there with the best in my opinion.

Has anyone heard how he is progressing these days?

My Bruv spoke to him at Gillman Adelaide last month, still wheelchair bound, but noticed a slight improvement. Was superb for Swindon, second only to the great Briggo.

• Like 1

My Bruv spoke to him at Gillman Adelaide last month, still wheelchair bound, but noticed a slight improvement. Was superb for Swindon, second only to the great Briggo.

Thank you for that beefy keefy. :t::approve: :approve:

I hope and pray that his slight improvement continues.

Great rider but Crump senior was at least his equal as a Swindon rider god Crump senior carried so many Swindon teams.

Great rider but Crump senior was at least his equal as a Swindon rider god Crump senior carried so many Swindon teams.

I would agree but Martin Ashby was also up there with the best in my opinion.

True - but I personally rate Briggo and Adams above (just) Ashby and Crump.

All four of them were very fine Riders though with Briggo the best by quite a distance.

Just my opinion of course - others may disagree.

I always like Leigh Adams - a superb Rider to watch - he made Speedway look so easy.

Sad he never made World Champion - still up there with the best in my opinion.

Has anyone heard how he is progressing these days?

I don't know Leigh Adams personally, but the following is public information.

A recent interview he said that he is staying busy building and servicing junior bikes, 125 and 250, in his home workshop.

In which he spends a lot of time it seems. He also is still involved as ambassador to the GP, and does guest speaker appearances at sport and community functions. Was involved in a community march against 'ICE', (meth amphetamine), 2016 i think, which sadly has become a severe problem amongst some of our younger people.

He also said he is heavily involved helping our junior speedway riders with their development and training, providing advice and experience along the way. Leigh thinks some of them have bright futures. His own son was riding junior speedway, but has now chosen 4 wheels instead of 2, and is enjoying racing Gokarts.

I have attended meetings at several tracks this season and have seen Leigh a few times. He is looking very fit and healthy, and is continuing with rehabilitation for his injury. He said in a trackside interview, he is growing stronger all the time and doesn't let the injury slow him down.

And i agree, he was very unlucky not to win a world title, especially given his professionalism and commitment, which was always obvious, not only during his European league racing, (yes, British League Speedway used to be shown on pay TV here), but everytime he returned home to race in Australia as well. I agree he did make speedway look easy, was great to watch, was well respected by other riders and always had a high regard for safety.

Try looking for this clip on 'you tube' through Google, or whatever search engine you have.

Sorry i couldn't get the link to work, type in direction below.

"2007 australian solo title leigh adams the final gillman"

It's a great race, shows Adams at his best. This was a track record time as well.

• Like 2

I don't know Leigh Adams personally, but the following is public information.

A recent interview he said that he is staying busy building and servicing junior bikes, 125 and 250, in his home workshop.

In which he spends a lot of time it seems. He also is still involved as ambassador to the GP, and does guest speaker appearances at sport and community functions. Was involved in a community march against 'ICE', (meth amphetamine), 2016 i think, which sadly has become a severe problem amongst some of our younger people.

He also said he is heavily involved helping our junior speedway riders with their development and training, providing advice and experience along the way. Leigh thinks some of them have bright futures. His own son was riding junior speedway, but has now chosen 4 wheels instead of 2, and is enjoying racing Gokarts.

I have attended meetings at several tracks this season and have seen Leigh a few times. He is looking very fit and healthy, and is continuing with rehabilitation for his injury. He said in a trackside interview, he is growing stronger all the time and doesn't let the injury slow him down.

And i agree, he was very unlucky not to win a world title, especially given his professionalism and commitment, which was always obvious, not only during his European league racing, (yes, British League Speedway used to be shown on pay TV here), but everytime he returned home to race in Australia as well. I agree he did make speedway look easy, was great to watch, was well respected by other riders and always had a high regard for safety.

Try looking for this clip on 'you tube' through Google, or whatever search engine you have.

Sorry i couldn't get the link to work, type in direction below.

"2007 australian solo title leigh adams the final gillman"

It's a great race, shows Adams at his best. This was a track record time as well.

Thank you so much for all of that information Ozrik. I hope if you meet him again you would be so kind as to pass on my very best wishes. I never met him I just loved watching him ride and race.

Thank you in advance.

Ian.

Eric Broadbelt often spent at least part of a season injured, in the 1980 Yearbook Peter Oakes stated that it was pleasing to report that he was ever present for Sheffield in 1979. Maybe he went for gaps that weren't always there, but very often his falls resulted in a hospital trip, as opposed to being able to get back up after a few minutes.

Didn't Eric Broadbelt once get injured after riding into a track raker's rake? I'm sure this is one of my early speedway memories.

Didn't Eric Broadbelt once get injured after riding into a track raker's rake? I'm sure this is one of my early speedway memories.

I know he once chased John Louis wielding one...until John Berry rugby tackled him!

• Like 1

I would agree but Martin Ashby was also up there with the best in my opinion.

The reason i rate Crump so highly is that at times he single handidly carried the Budgies.Also in 75/76 he genuinely had a chance of being WC on the Streety conversersion.Should he have left that engine in 75 just for the Final?? who knows.For me how lucky was i to see Briggs,Crump,Adams,Ashby,all terrific riders in there own right Adams to me was just like Simmo he made speedway look so easy.