British Speedway Forum
stevebrum

New Start Regulations.

it would also cheat the public of 4 riders in a race speedway is far enough as it is no easy solution ?

Then what do you suggest einstien

why do you have to be rude to people as I said there there is no easy solution if you can't be civil don't answer my post thanks
  • Like 3

Then if thats the case he runs the risk of being thrown out. Understand what you are saying, but the list of riders trying to do this is getting longer and longer..

Every rider knows that, but I ask again if you do not anticipate the start then what are you suppose to do? Edited by KN1
  • Like 1

Every rider knows that, but I ask again if you do not anticipate the start then what are you suppose to do?

James sarjeant is a perfect example of what your saying Kelvin often say's on TV he is unfairly treated because he makes the perfect getaway from the gate
  • Like 2

That is why I would like to see the sport more modernised & posted this some time ago.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

A system could be used similar to motor racing. Transponders used to monitor movement, do away with tapes & have an overhead/track canopy 20/25metres down from the start with red lights for ready & then green for go. All the riders are facing forward which eliminates the chance of riders on gates 1 & 4 moving slightly with the riders on 2 & 3 going & getting penalized

The transponders work like in athletic sprints. If your reaction time is less than 0.1 seconds it is a faulty start & are excluded. NO MOVEMENT ALLOWED!

James sarjeant is a perfect example of what your saying. Kelvin often say's on TV he is unfairly treated because he makes the perfect getaway from the gate

TJ is another. Some riders have quicker reflexes or quicker hand/eye coordination to the tape magnets moving.

• Like 1

World class...

Yep it was, perhaps you have the perfect solution then ?

Every rider knows that, but I ask again if you do not anticipate the start then what are you suppose to do?

Sit still. ;)

Proper start line technology, lasers transponders whatever. Even at Berwick 50th season last week there were riders being warned for perfectly fine starts.Relying on tapes is all well and good - but if that's the case they should just use touching the tapes as the rule.

• Like 1

James sarjeant is a perfect example of what your saying Kelvin often say's on TV he is unfairly treated because he makes the perfect getaway from the gate

Stuart Robson has fallen foul of the 'anticipation' situation too on a number of occasions.

I grasp what you are saying but in reality riders should react to the start rather than anticipate/guess when the tapes will go up. Obviously sometimes they will get a beauty others they will get pulled back/ hampered

Surely the tapes should be got rid off completely. How many times do they go up unevenly and always the tapes are slower up in the middle Even the grand Prix's have problems with this ancient device

• Like 1

I grasp what you are saying but in reality riders should react to the start rather than anticipate/guess when the tapes will go up. Obviously sometimes they will get a beauty others they will get pulled back/ hampered

Fair play, "react" that is the best way to put it 👍

Edited by KN1
  • Like 1

Is it really any wonder you get the kind of replies that you do from some people? So rude.

it would also cheat the public of 4 riders in a race speedway is far enough as it is no easy solution ?

then would that not mean that its the actual riders that are deemed to be cheating the public ?

I would say let them move, if they want.

It would be 50/50 if they hit or miss, a lot of starts would be uneven and that onus woud be the riders.

Some riders will say that they moved cos someone else moved, but really they should be watching the tapes and not other riders, but, your right, there is no easy solution :(

Edited by ruffdiamond

It's about reaction, not anticipation. All other sports with a standing start disallow anticipation of the start.

Some starts might look good but there is a limit on how fast a human can react to a visual stimuli.

First there is the time for your brain to register what your eyes see and then the brain need to react to that and send signals to telling the muscles to act.

Finally there is the time for the clutch to react and the tires to spin up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_chronometry

You can try your own reaction time at this site http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime .

My best for click when the red box turned green was 198ms .

I agree with Star Lady about the transponders. That would likely eliminate the jump starts since riders (eventually) would learn that there no

longer is any idea to try and roll before tapes up since that would be picked up by the transponders.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 4