British Speedway Forum
Jonny the spud

Running Commentary

Having re-discovered the UK scene again around 5 years ago after many years of riding and spectating in Europe, one of the main differences I've noticed is that English commentators stop talking the second the tapes drop . Is this normal at every track ? I've been inside several stadium bars where it's like a morgue once the race starts and I do feel that running commentary as in Europe (although not to the hysterical shouty brothers on sky) might be a good thing?

With only 4 riders and 4 laps it shouldn't be too taxing on a centre green announcer / commentator to manage …

Thoughts ?

Having re-discovered the UK scene again around 5 years ago after many years of riding and spectating in Europe, one of the main differences I've noticed is that English commentators stop talking the second the tapes drop . Is this normal at every track ? I've been inside several stadium bars where it's like a morgue once the race starts and I do feel that running commentary as in Europe (although not to the hysterical shouty brothers on sky) might be a good thing?

With only 4 riders and 4 laps it shouldn't be too taxing on a centre green announcer / commentator to manage …

Thoughts ?

I cant say i've been to a meeting in my entire speedway watching life and heard any kind of running commentary apart from a token one by Dave Lanning on the last night at Smallmead.

On my rare trips to grasstrack meetings there have been some, but it didnt really add anything for me.

I am eager to see a well done, knowledgeable "talk through " of the heat just run ( fortified with correct info from team managers, riders or mechanics ) about what actually happened. One of the downsides of the live match in the stadium experience is the yawning empty "silent" gap between races ( can be 10 mins). I don't want some pop / rock music chosen by someone else blasting out. I prefer some more speedway content in the form of a talk through re-living the previous heat. Costs prevent us seeing it on a big screen but the post race commentary and comment would retain the interest and build up to what the next one would bring the supporter. NOT I must add some banal comments from someone who is not very aware of speedway and it's terms! This need cost very little and when well done could add further ( much needed ) content to the match.

I cant say i've been to a meeting in my entire speedway watching life and heard any kind of running commentary apart from a token one by Dave Lanning on the last night at Smallmead.

On my rare trips to grasstrack meetings there have been some, but it didnt really add anything for me.

Never experienced it personally but I seem to recall that Dave Lanning used to do a running commentary at Wimbledon when son Russell was in charge?

• Like 1

How much commentary does four blokes going round in circles really need? Personally, I think there is too much commentary when speedway is on TV, let alone live at a meeting.

I'd like to see a track play music during the heats to see if that can add some atmosphere,

• Like 1

How much commentary does four blokes going round in circles really need? Personally, I think there is too much commentary when speedway is on TV, let alone live at a meeting.

I'd like to see a track play music during the heats to see if that can add some atmosphere,

I agree. I have many, many DVDs and the standard of commentary varies considerably depending on the source. I don't require anyone telling me what I can already see jabbering away continuously (Colin Martin take a bow!)

• Like 1

We just don't do race commentary in the UK, I thought I enjoyed it but it's only good if the action is good, if not it's rather repetitive, like the racing basically.

In Darcy's meeting from Australia they had a sponsor (100%) which they mentioned most laps, that wasn't the best to listen to but I know why they did it.

So the noise level of any commentary - or music for that matter - would need to be greater than the noise generated by the bikes. That would surely go down well with any track 'neighbours'?!

Can't those fans in the stadium actually see what is happening? Commentators can often get it wrong despite them watching exactly the same action as the fans - you only have to watch some of the recordings - dvds etc!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

There's nothing worse than someone telling me what I'm watching live at a stadium

• Like 2

There's nothing worse than someone telling me what I'm watching live at a stadium

There is, if that someone is Peter York

Mind you, it's debatable whether what you are watching coincides with what he says

Incidentally, will the dreadful Mr Y be at Beaumont Bees?

• Like 3

You can just about hear the the PA at Foxhall normally, with bikes on track you'd stand no chance of hearing anything!

Edited by Tom Thumb
  • Like 2

Running commentary is necessary on grasstracks as the number of riders involved and no requirement to identify themselves other than a riding number make it trickier to distinguish between riders especially for those less familiar with the sport.

With speedway you have helmet colours plus suits/bibs to distinguish plus obviously only 4 riders to deal with.

There is also the issue of whether a commentator would influence the referee and we all know decisions are tough enough to get right as it is (or most ref's seem to make hard work of it).

However if the commentary was streamed via headphones / smartphones etc it could offer the choice to those who want it without enforcing it on all?

More often than not the commentator is on the centre green and can probably see less than the spectators! Very often the fan is watching a battle for a minor place as much as seeing a rider clear in front as the focus. Whenever I have heard commentary it has been of the "here comes X onto the final lap" ilk - not very inspiring when most fans can count to four! Describing how a rider is setting up for an overtake, or blocking same, is not an easy thing to commentate on in the few seconds concerned. However, informed commentary after the race, describing the efforts made, might be helpful for the fans who may not have the knowledge to appreciate all that has gone on.

As Midland Red has said, the only person that does the race talking, usually third entering into the 4th bend, is Peter York. He obviously does it at Coventry, but I recall he used to do it also at Reading. It is only of some use if it is audible, but that is almost impossible when the bikes are passing in front of you. I think it can be useful to build it up, but it has to be done in the right way, right volume and by someone without a home bias of course.

As Midland Red has said, the only person that does the race talking, usually third entering into the 4th bend, is Peter York. He obviously does it at Coventry, but I recall he used to do it also at Reading. It is only of some use if it is audible, but that is almost impossible when the bikes are passing in front of you. I think it can be useful to build it up, but it has to be done in the right way, right volume and by someone without a home bias of course.

Clubs could sell the fans those mini radio earpieces like you get at cricket/snooker, and one or two years, Cardiff GP had them.. Still got the earpiece, not much use after the event though, but could be built/set up/powered to last a full season without battery changes..

• Like 1