British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

In addition, I am pretty certain flagrag has said that in the past speedway viewing figures were comparable with the likes of rugby league and cricket, so there was no issue with that at all.

Interesting, are these figures available anywhere?

Probably the only positive thing about this

• Like 1

OK, so the feeling is BT are not good on customer service.

So to be able to watch BT Sport (GP's and seemingly Premiership speedway) how, without Sky, do I get access to all the speedway action. ???????????

I understand Eurosport will be doing the Euro speedway championship, so I need that as well.

All I did was get BT Broadband which gave me BT Sports whilst keeping the most basic Sky package which included Eurosport and other interests of mine like At The Races etc.

I am fairly certain there are cheaper ways available - despite living about half a mile from some huge Virgin Media offices we can't get Virgin ( or Telewest ) but this is what we did and we're fairly happy with it.

I have always loved football but its just getting more and more expensive and as there are Match of the Days etc I'm happy to go without.

Phoned to cancel sky sports but they offered me such a good deal decided to tie myself in till next January just for the league speedway really although I watch darts and wrestling. Oh well there you go, no league speedway, gps or moto GP for me this year. Anyone know the cost of adding bt to sky? I wonder if BT will have an offer on to entice speedway fans, I think there was last year

This is rather difficult for me to post much at the moment but hopefully in the next couple of days everything will become clear. I will update further on my personal thoughts then.

The general production on Sky Sports cutbacks have been happening across the board right from Football with the EFL final not being in UHD,Two less cameras on PL Darts,More Sky sports news live inserts done using mobile technology rather than satellite uplink trucks and less Wireless cameras for Cricket.

So hopefully many can now see this not related to viewing figures,Speedway has always performed well with viewing share especially considered it's often up against the soaps and sometimes Football on Sky & BT.

It always has been on par with sports of similar interests and some with much larger crowds I did post the full average figures in a previous post a couple of weeks ago I think it was about 70 odd thousand over the year as some weeks were very good.

This data comes direct from All Sky users that box has a Broadband connection the system is clever and very detailed like was it paused,were the ads watched and even has this person watched before. This is much more detailed rather than the limited BARB panel so Sky data is much more accurate and can also see how much time shifted viewing is done e.g Recorded and watched later and also takes into account on demand/Catch up viewers

Where Speedway does have a problem is that during live coverage advertisements just don't sell apart from to BSI for GP ads there are no brands that say want to buy ad space during Speedway coverage and most ads shown are just part of bigger package like Ford have guaranteed 30 mins during course of the day.

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 5

It will be interesting what will happen to Pearson and Tatum- if BT want Kelvin there shouldn't be any problems with him finishing with SKY. Nigel on the other hand has his SKY darts- so it would be i would think impossible for him to work for both companies- and before anyone says he works for BT on the GP's and SWC NO he doesn't - BT take the Gp world feed.

I think he's freelance, so isn't tied to just one broadcaster and anyway, aren't both Nigel and Kelvin the commentators on the GP's?

I think he's freelance, so isn't tied to just one broadcaster and anyway, aren't both Nigel and Kelvin the commentators on the GP's?

The GP's & SWC's commentary is on the World Feed & not BT commentary

I prefer my speedway in the flesh , so couldnt give a toss . Especially if they're going to ignore the Championship altogether , they can go swivel .

• Like 3

For those considering getting BT it may be worth looking at what Virgin package (if any) you could get hold of. I got a good deal last year to stay with Virgin where they gave me BT Sport for less than I was originally paying.

BT IMO are the most unprincipled greedy avaricious outfit going.i

It's dog eat dog. BT are only doing to Sky what Sky did to terrestrial channels years ago and cherry picking the best sport.

Surely if Sky pull out of a contract they are liable for the remaining months irrespective of whether or not the BSPA can negotiate an alternative.

No, there are numerous examples of football managers who are sacked by a club and don't take up another job straight away as it would effect the amount of compensation they would be entitled to from their previous club. The same principle would probably apply here, if the day after Sky pulled the plug, speedway signed a contract with BT.

This is rather difficult for me to post much at the moment but hopefully in the next couple of days everything will become clear. I will update further on my personal thoughts then.

The general production on Sky Sports cutbacks have been happening across the board right from Football with the EFL final not being in UHD,Two less cameras on PL Darts,More Sky sports news live inserts done using mobile technology rather than satellite uplink trucks and less Wireless cameras for Cricket.

So hopefully many can now see this not related to viewing figures,Speedway has always performed well with viewing share especially considered it's often up against the soaps and sometimes Football on Sky & BT.

It always has been on par with sports of similar interests and some with much larger crowds I did post the full average figures in a previous post a couple of weeks ago I think it was about 80 odd thousand over the year.

Where Speedway does have a problem is that during live coverage advertisements just don't sell apart from to BSI for GP ads there are no brands that say want to buy ad space during Speedway coverage and most ads shown are just part of bigger package like Ford have guaranteed 30 mins during course of the day.

Anyone contacted Stannah Stairlifts, stand up bath makers, steradent and incontinence pad manufacturers to see if they would be interested in advertising during Speedway?

Tartan Blanket and Tartan Flask makers must also be worth a punt?

Thanks for the update, Speedways customer base demographic certainly makes it a hard sell I would imagine.?

Yet another obvious situation ignored and allowed to happen over the years by those in charge....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

Anyone contacted Stannah Stairlifts, stand up bath makers, steradent and incontinence pad manufacturers to see if they would be interested in advertising during Speedway?

Tartan Blanket and Tartan Flask makers must also be worth a punt?

Thanks for the update, Speedways customer base demographic certainly makes it a hard sell I would imagine.?

Yet another obvious situation ignored and allowed to happen over the years by those in charge....

what about the 'over 50's plan',,, get a free pen, even for enquiring,

could use it to fill in ya programme/match mag ;)

• Like 2