British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
f-s-p

Winning An Individual Meeting

Think it's four times that 12 points has been enough to win WC. Ermolenko won without a runoff even.

If every rider finishes their heat in the traditional 20 heat formula, whats the lowest amount of points that can give you the win without a runoff?

Anyone ever seen a meeting with 20 heats and a lower amount of points to win?

I have 9 to win with 7 tied on 8 points for 2nd.

Think it's four times that 12 points has been enough to win WC. Ermolenko won without a runoff even.

If every rider finishes their heat in the traditional 20 heat formula, whats the lowest amount of points that can give you the win without a runoff?

He should never have won that particular World Final as in a particular race he was allowed to take part in the re-run despite not being 'under power' during the initial running of the heat. If I recall he caused the stoppage thru' a broken chain when a rider ran into the back of him...but, then again, Frank Ebden was the referee!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Assuming no dropped points then eight.

BUT it does require at least seven dead heats!!! (one rider on 8, 14 riders on 7 1/2 and one on 7).

Without dropped points then 9 is correct.

If dropped points are allowed then 3. (19 heats with no finishers and the winner of the 20th race becomes champion).

Off the top of my head the lowest figure I could think of for a winner after 20 heats (ignore the subsequent races) is a three way tie on 10:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Speedway_Grand_Prix_of_Slovenia

• Like 1

Dead heat as in no finishers?

Edited by f-s-p

...an individual race ending in a dead heat (for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place (2.5, 1.5 or 0.5)).

NB In league matches I have seen 2 dead heats , (1 for 1st place and 1 for 2nd place, never for 3rd)

He should never have won that particular World Final as in a particular race he was allowed to take part in the re-run despite not being 'under power' during the initial running of the heat. If I recall he caused the stoppage thru' a broken chain when a rider ran into the back of him...but, then again, Frank Ebden was the referee!

I was there, you are spot on

• Like 1

...an individual race ending in a dead heat (for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place (2.5, 1.5 or 0.5)).

NB In league matches I have seen 2 dead heats , (1 for 1st place and 1 for 2nd place, never for 3rd)

Thats what I thought... Last season or the season before there was a dead heat in ice speedway world championships meeting. In the past decade I feel tempted to say I've seen one other in track racing.

Unfortunately - and it disgusts me to say this, being the anorak I am - I can't remember the details, but I did see one a few weeks ago on the Speedway Researcher website. The winner scored 10 points!!!

Steve

has there ever been a dead heat in an individual meet?

I seem to recall no dead heats were allowed in FIM meetings .. could be wrong though

I seem to recall no dead heats were allowed in FIM meetings .. could be wrong though

Ice speedway gladiators world championship, Almaty 21st Feb 2016.

Glanced the FIM appendices, no mention of Dead heats either way.

If dropped points are allowed then 3. (19 heats with no finishers and the winner of the 20th race becomes champion).

If we go this route is it not possible for the rider who won the heat to subsequently be disqualified from the meeting for some offence,so making the rider on 2 pts the winner?Or the rider on 2pts also kicked out of the meeting and the rider on 1 pt the winner?

If we go this route is it not possible for the rider who won the heat to subsequently be disqualified from the meeting for some offence,so making the rider on 2 pts the winner?Or the rider on 2pts also kicked out of the meeting and the rider on 1 pt the winner?

So basically your saying that you could win a meeting with dddd0 or 00000 if everyone else have only letters on their score.

I was there, you are spot on

If Ermolenko had been excluded in that race he could still have won his final heat to be champion. As it was he just pootled round at the back pulling wheelies because the title was already in the bag.