British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Golden Helmet Mystery

Well we have had the first ever meeting and the first ever league meeting you saw,and as i was looking through my old programmes and noticed on the 2nd of August 1973 i saw Trevor Hedge challenge and lose to Halifax's Eric Boocock in the golden helmet match race,i thought wouldn't it be great to have a thread about the first time......not wanting to be elitist it could also be the silver helmet

Edited by iris123

I think mine was Barry Briggs v. Ove Fundin in 1960 at New Cross. Fundin absolutely destroyed Briggo, breaking the track record and also breaking the old track record in the second race. The time of 57.0 stood till New Cross closed in 1963.

• Like 1

I think mine was Barry Briggs v. Ove Fundin in 1960 at New Cross. Fundin absolutely destroyed Briggo, breaking the track record and also breaking the old track record in the second race. The time of 57.0 stood till New Cross closed in 1963.

Lucky so and so.What a classic race to have seen

The first match race clash I saw was at New Cross, May 15, 1946 - although I think it was only the Match Race Championship in those days. I am certain the 'Golden Helmet' was added later. Here's the results of a clash between home rider Ron Johnson and Bill Kitchen (Wembley).

Match Race Championship

Ht1 Bill Kitchen bt Ron Johnson 61.0

Ht2 Bill Kitchen bt Ron Johnson 62.0

I was also at New Cross for this epic clash. Two of my all-time favourite riders opposed to each other.

Garry Middleton challenging the holder, Nigel Boocock, and succeeding at Cowley in 1972.

Cant remember what year I first saw the Golden Helmet races at Hyde Road, maybe late fifties when I was 12-13 but defo remember those in the 60's, especially Craven v Fundin, and what cracking races they were. Two completely different riding styles, yet so much trust between them to be able to ride so close at the speeds they were doing. Amazing.

• Like 1

This query deviates from the actual 'Golden Helmet' title, but it does I think qualify as a match race query - probably norbold will be able to supply the needed answer?

At the time of his fatal accident in 1935, was Tom Farndon the holder of the then match race championship? Following the tragedy the competition was then suspended as a mark of respect to Farndon and not resumed until the first post-war season in 1946?

This query deviates from the actual 'Golden Helmet' title, but it does I think qualify as a match race query - probably norbold will be able to supply the needed answer?

At the time of his fatal accident in 1935, was Tom Farndon the holder of the then match race championship? Following the tragedy the competition was then suspended as a mark of respect to Farndon and not resumed until the first post-war season in 1946?

Yes, that's correct.

1946 and first holder after the war was Bill Kitchen of Wembley who defeated Ron Johnson of New Cross 0-2 at Wembley in front of 65,000 people then 2-0 at New Cross and 2-0 in the decider at Wimbledon. He did not hold it for long as Jack Parker relieved him of it 0-2, 2-0 0-2. Both match races the home riders were beaten by their opponents

Pretty sure it was the Martin Ashby/Tommy Jansson one at Swindon. If I saw one before then, which is possible, I can't recall it.

Carter/Morton in 1982. Saw the legs at the shay and Hyde Rd but not the tie breaker at a neutral track.

Carter/Morton in 1982. Saw the legs at the shay and Hyde Rd but not the tie breaker at a neutral track.

Brings up the question of what was the better system,the one-off race or the home and away best of 3 heats i think it was?

The one off best rider of the night challenges the golden helmet holder was imo not as good as the nominated rider of the month challenging.Was often difficult to even know if the rider who had the helmet the week before had retained it and was coming to your track or had maybe lost it at a meeting the previous night or so.

Pretty sure it was the Martin Ashby/Tommy Jansson one at Swindon. If I saw one before then, which is possible, I can't recall it.

Last time I saw Tommy ride.

I prefered the monthly nominated best of 3 at each riders home track plus a decider on a neutral track if needed I saw a Decider in 65 at Newport between Barry Briggs and Charlie Monk , they got rides in the second half as well, Because the Golden Helmet was before the match, as far as I can remember it was Briggs 2-0

• Like 1

13901584_1815994698620213_27912172424224

Jack Parker, then Belle Vue and England captain, dominated the 'Golden Helmet' Match Race Championship throughout the late 1940s and into the early 1950s. His grip on the title was such that the Press dubbed the championship "Parker's Pension."