British Speedway Forum

1946 80,000-plus Attendances

To be honest Steve i was not a fan of the track but everytime i went there there was always a buzz.I have been to about twenty football matches at the new Wembley and again it is not the same as the old one.

I did a tour of the old Wembley before it was pulled down...and glad that I did! Even got to see the crossbar that was stuck by the ball (Geoff Hurst) during the 66 World Cup causing debate ever since...did it cross the line or not?

Been to the old Wembley three times. Once for Speedway and twice American Football but never for football.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was being at Wembley in 1972 for the World Final.

My only disappointment was Briggo's injury.

I have been to Cardiff too. It simply doesn't compare.

Great occasions at Wembley, sadly now lost to Speedway.

• Like 1

Would have loved to have been at that twk to see Bernie come second, I know your views are totally different to that because of what happened but each to their own. I managed to get a copy of the program which I've still got despite getting rid of most of my other momentos from the past

• Like 1

Would have loved to have been at that twk to see Bernie come second, I know your views are totally different to that because of what happened but each to their own. I managed to get a copy of the program which I've still got despite getting rid of most of my other momentos from the past

I have a copy of the Programme somewhere in my cupboards too Bruno. :t:

Persson's move on Briggs was disgraceful. The '72 and '73 finals had perhaps the worst-ever referee for World Finals (the starts were an utter joke). It beggers belief that Persson wasn't excluded from the re-run by George Transpurger.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Persson's move on Briggs was disgraceful. The '72 and '73 finals had perhaps the worst-ever referee for World Finals (the starts were an utter joke). It beggers belief that Persson wasn't excluded from the re-run by George Transpurger.

All the best

Rob

It looked bad Sam and Briggo was my hero a GREAT in my eyes but did Barry leave him to much room.? To this day i believe Briggs would of won that final Ole might of beat him once but anyway thats history.Persson was a hell of a rider dogged as they come and i put him with Boulger,Eide,Lovaas,McMillan,Harrefelt,Nordin,as riders we often forget all classy.

It looked bad Sam and Briggo was my hero a GREAT in my eyes but did Barry leave him to much room.? To this day i believe Briggs would of won that final Ole might of beat him once but anyway thats history.Persson was a hell of a rider dogged as they come and i put him with Boulger,Eide,Lovaas,McMillan,Harrefelt,Nordin,as riders we often forget all classy.

Me too Sid.

He had already beaten Mauger.

Even though the stadium remained partly closed for most of the matches, I really enjoyed the lions revival in the early 1970's. I was just a kid at the time, but I can remember the "March of the gladiators" playing at parade time like it was yesterday.

• Like 1