British Speedway Forum

1946 80,000-plus Attendances

I have failed to trace the actual recorded attendances, but I am certain that both Wembley and West Ham had crowds in excessive of 80,000 for meetings in the 1946 season - or it could just have been a Wembley v West Ham clash?

I would very much appreciate clarification of this matter please.

Edited by Guest

I have failed to trace the actual recorded attendances, but I am certain that both Wembley and West Ham had crowds in excessive of 80,000 for meetings in the 1946 season - or it could just have been a Wembley v West Ham clash?

I would very much appreciate clarification of this matter please.

Certainly, when speaking to Freddie Williams he told me that he could remember riding in front of 70,000 plus at Wembley.

Hope this help gustix.

• Like 1

I am pretty certain West Ham had a crowd of 80,00 on more than one occasion. Norbold will know for sure,

I am pretty certain West Ham had a crowd of 80,00 on more than one occasion. Norbold will know for sure,

• Like 1

Certainly, when speaking to Freddie Williams he told me that he could remember riding in front of 70,000 plus at Wembley.

Hope this help gustix.

My late father in law was a Wembley fan after the war and a member of their supporters club. He kept his membership card and some of their newsletters (which I now have) which show that in 1946 the supporters club had over 62000 members, so crowds of 80000 could have been very possible. I do remember reading of a London Cup match between Wembley and West Ham attracting 80000 with a further 20000 listening to a radio broadcast of the match in the car park. Can't remember the year though.

My late father in law was a Wembley fan after the war and a member of their supporters club. He kept his membership card and some of their newsletters (which I now have) which show that in 1946 the supporters club had over 62000 members, so crowds of 80000 could have been very possible. I do remember reading of a London Cup match between Wembley and West Ham attracting 80000 with a further 20000 listening to a radio broadcast of the match in the car park. Can't remember the year though.

That may well have been the match in 1946 that I was trying to recollect in the OP. Wembley v West Ham does now come to mind as one of the massive attendances of 1946 which was the first post-war season.

Edited by Guest

The lock-out with 20,000 outside was the final match of the 1946 season, and it was actually Wembley v Wimbledon. There was also a 85,000 crowd reported for Wembley v West Ham earlier in the 1946 season.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

Not counting World Finals (the 1981 World Final at Wembley was the meeting I attended with the highest number of people of any meeting I went to) but the Australia vs. Poland Daily Mirror Tournament meeting at Cowley in 1973 was packed to the rafters I recall. A capacity of 10,000 has often been quoted...not sure how accurate that figure is but it seemed like it at the time!

Probably the best supported meeting at Cowley in my life time but Dad talks of crowds somewhat larger during Oxford's formative years and if you weren't inside the stadium by 6pm then you could forget it!

Not counting World Finals (the 1981 World Final at Wembley was the meeting I attended with the highest number of people of any meeting I went to) but the Australia vs. Poland Daily Mirror Tournament meeting at Cowley in 1973 was packed to the rafters I recall. A capacity of 10,000 has often been quoted...not sure how accurate that figure is but it seemed like it at the time!

Probably the best supported meeting at Cowley in my life time but Dad talks of crowds somewhat larger during Oxford's formative years and if you weren't inside the stadium by 6pm then you could forget it!

An interesting Post steve roberts but IMO a little off topic - the tread is

1946 80,000-plus Attendances.

But I suppose the 'usual gang' are poised to jump on me for making this comment! :unsure:

Edited by Guest

27 June 1946 Wembley v West Ham (ACU Cup) attendance 85,000

11 July 1946 Wembley v West Ham (London Cup) attendance 85,000

3 October 1946 Wembley v Wimbledon (ACU Cup) attendance 85,000

Source: When the Lions Roared - Lush and Chaplin

• Like 3

Sorry Gustix I'm going off topic, does anyone know the attendance for the first Golden Ommer at Dudley Wood. I've got it in my head it was 20,000. Proberly a senile moment. Apologies again Gustix

On a slight parallel, West Ham had a crowd of 82,000 in 1933 for an England v Australia test match. I'm not sure if this was the highest-ever speedway attendance at Custom House or not. Over to you, Norbold!

PS I'm also wondering what was the best crowd at the huge Odsal bowl in 1946. Could that have topped 80,000?

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

On a slight parallel, West Ham had a crowd of 82,000 in 1933 for an England v Australia test match. I'm not sure if this was the highest-ever speedway attendance at Custom House or not. Over to you, Norbold!

PS I'm also wondering what was the best crowd at the huge Odsal bowl in 1946. Could that have topped 80,000?

All the best

Rob

It's generally accepted now that many of those huge pre-war crowds were exaggerated. That West Ham example for instance is thought to have been closer to 40,000.

The crowd at Wembley in 1981 sometimes gets questioned the place was heaving as i can remember.An amazing atmosphere god knows how many coaches were outside from all over the country.Great days, as good as Cardiff is it is not on par with Wembley never will be.

• Like 3

The crowd at Wembley in 1981 sometimes gets questioned the place was heaving as i can remember.An amazing atmosphere god knows how many coaches were outside from all over the country.Great days, as good as Cardiff is it is not on par with Wembley never will be.

Tremendous atmosphere...remember it well and although I went to many other World Finals around Europe it was never the same. When Wembley no longer became a speedway venue I feel that was start of the decline of the sport although there were many other factors also.

Tremendous atmosphere...remember it well and although I went to many other World Finals around Europe it was never the same. When Wembley no longer became a speedway venue I feel that was start of the decline of the sport although there were many other factors also.

To be honest Steve i was not a fan of the track but everytime i went there there was always a buzz.I have been to about twenty football matches at the new Wembley and again it is not the same as the old one.