British Speedway Forum
Tigerite

Sheffield V Somerset 30/3/2017 Challenge

Interestingly this is what Damien Bates said about the racing this morning.

“The atmosphere was electric and the racing was great, so if that doesn’t entice people back then I don’t know what more we can do".

It's quite clear his view of the racing last night is vastly different to some of the fans who watched it on the terraces because it's sounding like nothing's changed.

I agree with everything that's been said. Great crowd same racing as last season, boring. I saw Mr Boocock with the overhalls on doing the track, that says it all. Get some dirt on the outside and let's have some good racing. Not gate and go. I will give it a few week's if no improvement it's by by.

On the plus side - I haven't been to Owlerton for a couple of years, but it looks as if the track lighting has improved, which is good.

Also, and I don't know if I am imagining this, but there seems to be some banking on the turns when previously there wasn't.

Am I right?

As already mentioned by another poster, the riders seemed unaware or didn't care about the significance of the meeting.

I didn't see a single rider making any attempt at looking for his partner and maybe slowing the race down which could have resulted in closer racing.

This was supposed to be a 'showcase' meeting but gate and go indulgence on a poor track destroyed the spectacle.

Sheffield should have produced a questionnaire to gauge reaction from the newbies - it would have been very interesting.

They managed to make it a last heat decider and heat 15 was quite exiting - compared to the majority of what had gone on before. However what others have said is correct and the crowd was visibly diminishing as the meeting got to the last three heats. The amount of vehicles in the car park may have had some impact on this as leaving after the meeting is always an issue, and if you ain't paid to get in who cares who wins may have been the attitude of a lot of people.

The sport shot itself in the foot again with the tapes not working on a couple of occasions and the green and red lights not coming on, when necessary. To anyone coming for the first time it made things look 'amateur', not what you want if you're show casing your business.

As for the racing, well it was what I expected, nothing at stake for either team and a track that didn't help those who went looking for it.

As for the riders I liked the look of Kurtz and Branford who never stopped trying. As for Somerset Hougaard looked a class above the rest and Wright looked like he's in for another good year. As for their guest - well I'm just glad we didn't opt for him again!

well.quite an interesting night.i opted for a season ticket for myself and spouse for this year on the strength of the team line up and hopefully the racing improving but unsure whether this was the right decision.was pleased to see a large crowd with plenty of new faces but on the evidence of the racing last night doubt whether any of them will return,yes the meeting was close in respect of the score but not the racing itself.we brought along a newbie last night and he said he liked the smell and the atmosphere but that was his only comment as i don't think he wanted to offend us.i personally think that what was commented in the programme is true in respect of the bikes now being much too fast and agree that i would rather the races be a few seconds slower and the racing closer rather than gate and goodbye as was the case in much of last nights racing.shame because this promotion deserve to succeed but as commented i can only see a return to previous crowd figures with perhaps a few old and new supporters returning.

Let's be honest would he go public and say it was a crap night.

No don't think so.

To be fair - no, he wouldn't. Then again, when he says the racing was 'great' and the report I got was that 'it couldn't have been much worse' he just looks like a fool.

Better to say 'the racing wasn't what we'd hoped for, but we'll be doing everything to make sure that in future it is'.

Maybe its something to do with being in charge of Leicester.................

If it was that poor, then the whole thing was an expensive waste of money that is likely to actually put people off going rather than the opposite.

Sheffield simply had to get it right after the state of the track last season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

My first speedway meeting for a few years. Great idea from the promoters to run a free meeting but my initial excitement and anticipation soon turned to boredom after a series of races which were decided on the first corners.

I spoke to a few supporters who confirmed most of the meetings last season were similar to this one. Having followed the Tigers since the mid 1960s I think the promoters missed a real opportunity to showcase speedway to a new audience and I certainly will not return in a hurry after last nights racing.

Right my take on last night.

Decent crowd not quite the same amount that attends PLRC, but not far off.

Racing was not great, not good,but then again it was not that bad,it was okayish.

Meeting presentation was a let down, dragged on far too long and distinct lackof information coming from the centre green presenter.

On the 100's drifting way after heat 12, not sure where the person who made the comment was stood but I was on the first bend and its was still packed out on there after hear 15.

Was it a good marketing ploy or was it a flop.

Who knows the proof in the pudding will be after the next couple of meetings then we will all know.

Onto the meeting itself.

With Somerset replacing Josh G with Nathan Greaves, balanced the two teams

For Sheffield I was really impressed with Rob Branford and Todd Kurtz, Branford rode very intelligently and Kurtz did far better than I expected.

Kyle Howarth play a true captain role and he battled well to win heat 15.

Josh Bates looked more than capable, and JPB made a steady start.

And Josh G and Lasse Bjerre will sure have better nights.

For Somerset was impressed with Hougaard and Wright, the rest were a bit of a disappointed.

So with the with the first look at the team, they can do better but was enough to feel confident for the rest of the season.

I thought Todd Kurtz would be the weak link, but fair play to him he put on a decent show. long may it continue. Overhall not bad but let's see in a few weeks time. But please get the track sorted out. I would like someone on the Sheffield promotion to tell us what the thinking is concerning the track preperation.

I thought Todd Kurtz would be the weak link, but fair play to him he put on a decent show. long may it continue. Overhall not bad but let's see in a few weeks time. But please get the track sorted out. I would like someone on the Sheffield promotion to tell us what the thinking is concerning the track preperation.

I would not disagree with the comments bout the track, marginally better than last season, but far from perfect.